The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 13, 2011, 07:41 AM   #1
hodaka

Back into BP

After a 30 year break I have gotten back into the BP game. My first purchase was an Uberti 1860 Army. Had so much fun with it that I bought a Lyman GP percussion. I shoot rifles a lot but I am amazed with the accuracy of these little round balls. I'm having a lot of fun and will undoubtedly have some questions coming up. For the GP rifle, I am shooting pistol Pyrodex, 70g with a lubed 0.10 patch with a 0.490 Lyman ball. The biggest problem I've had is the need to hit the cap twice due to not seating it enough. I have begun tapping it down with a dowel although that makes me nervous.

In high school I had built a CVA flintlock that I shot a bunch until the thing quit sparking and I put it away. I may add another Lyman flinter soon.

Regards
Old March 13, 2011, 07:45 AM   #2
Rifleman1776

Welcome back to the world of muzzle loading.
Your caps are probably a size too small.
The frizzen on your CVA rifle can be rehardened to start sparking again.
Old March 13, 2011, 08:02 AM   #3
Hawg

Use steady pressure to seat the caps. They're not pressure sensitive.
Old March 13, 2011, 10:02 AM   #4
rdstrain49

hodaka;

You didn't say how you are capping the rifle. Are you using a capper? If you are and can't seat the cap, try another size/brand etc. You also didn't say if you were using #10 or #11 caps. Most of my rifles use #11 and most of my hand guns use #10. Now get off that stupid "puter and go make some smoke.

BTW, welcome back to the dark side

Just an after thought, I have to wonder how many folks know who or what a Hodaka is, I do.
Old March 13, 2011, 10:04 AM   #5
mykeal

I'm going to go another way - the OEM nipple on a GPR (I assume you bought it new or that it has factory original parts) is, in a word, junk. Or perhaps junque. The inexpensive answer is to fiddle with it as suggested above - nothing wrong with that, but you'll be happier if you replace it with almost any of the quality after market nipples available. I recommend Treso part number 11-50-03 (Track of the Wolf catalog number RLP-A). It's a metric thread, M6X0.75, 0.603" tall. Be sure to get a rifle nipple in that thread; the pistol nipples are too short, on the order of 0.520".
Old March 13, 2011, 10:11 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

You did exactly what I did....

.....Took a break (in my case imposed by my thankfully Ex wife) and then came back. Present wife is a great improvement to my accuracy. (I don't ask her to go shooting and she doesn't ask me to go to church.)

Odd though, that your enjoyment of the revolvers impelled you to buy a rifle..... To me, enjoying a revolver, makes me want..... (you guessed it) another revolver.

Welcome to the congregation.
Old March 13, 2011, 11:57 AM   #7
junkman_01

Quote:
I don't ask her to go shooting and she doesn't ask me to go to church
Doc,

You crack me up. You're a real 'pistol', as they say.
Old March 13, 2011, 12:39 PM   #8
Doc Hoy

JM1

She talked me into going to church about four years ago. During the service, the church was struck by lightening. I figure the lord was trying to tell me something.

After the service, the others ask me what I though of the message. I told them, "I got it."

Please understand this is all light hearted fun, not intended as a slight on anyone and Of course, Waaay of the topic, which as a reminder had to do with our joy over Hodaka rejoining the flock.

So I will add to Mykeal's sentiments by saying that I am among those who have solved a problem with Treso nipples.
Old March 13, 2011, 01:08 PM   #9
Hawg

Welcome Hodaka. I had a Hodaka about 100 years ago
Old March 13, 2011, 10:02 PM   #10
hodaka

Thanks for the welcome! I will not do much shootin this week as I am on vacation. Question for you though. After about 100 rounds through the GP rifle I'm getting what I consider good accuracy at 100 yards........well sort of. The first round out of a clean, cold barrel tends to hit about a foot low. The next 3 or 4 will hit the mark, a 2.5 x 2.5 Post It note ( I like the dark ones on a sheet of butcher paper). After that, the accuracy becomes much worse. This pattern has repeated itself on the past 3 trips.

My Hodaka, a Super Rat, is long gone, but the handle hints at my age and I've been using it for a long time. I have been lurking in the BP area of the forums for a while and am really learning a lot. I also have a 30 year old brass Navy (Pietta I think) that needs some parts and work. A spring broke and it has lived in a coffee can in my garage for a long time. Another project.

ps - I can only find CCI #11's locally. I am using a pistol capper. I will be placing an order to Powder Valley soon and I plan to get some Remington #10's along with my other centerfire stuff.
Old March 13, 2011, 11:47 PM   #11
Bill Akins

Welcome back to the smoke poles Hodaka.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old March 14, 2011, 06:22 AM   #12
mykeal

Deleted - misread the OP's last post.
Old March 14, 2011, 12:09 PM   #13
kwhi43

If ya be needing a good rifle, I will have a Thompson Center 50 Hawken Cap
for sale here by the end of the week.