The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 14, 2010, 06:22 PM   #1
DE Shooter

Help with carbine red dot co-sight set up?

I used low rings to put a 28mm red dot on a railed 9mm carbine. It came out so that the completely hooded front sight post tip sits exactly dead center in the hood, which forms a smaller front circle that is exactly centered inside of the 28mm red dot optic. So without the red dot on I have front and rear aperatures with the post tip perfectly centered. With the red dot switched on the dot appears exactly on the tip of the post...perfect centering for all. But, when I fire (bench at 25yrds) the bullet impacts dead center, six inches high of the point of aim. I want to keep the sight picture I see...everything completely centered. I have an adjustable rail height elevation and I can move the entire front sight group up only. What is the easiest way to get POA to POI and maintain everything centered? Any help greatly appreciated.
Old July 15, 2010, 12:43 PM   #2
Delaware_Dan

What kind of carbine?
Old July 15, 2010, 03:31 PM   #3
DE Shooter

Cheap fun...a Hi-Point with a Bushnell 28mm red dot. I have some degree of shimming under the plastic rail and the entire front sight (HK style) can be adjusted up or down or rolled slightly for windage. Let's face it...I know it's a "flaky" set up up with a plastic rail. It's a fun project for plinking and learning. I'm guessing, if I raise the red dot slightly, by rail adjustment... then, raise the front sight slightly to point the tip of the post on the red dot, I will still have the co-sight view I want and be closer to POI....never fooled with "co-sight" adjustments before.
Old July 21, 2010, 12:55 PM   #4
Delaware_Dan

Do the iron sights hit high without the red dot?