The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 31, 2007, 10:31 PM   #1
Spenser

Drawing From An Ankle Holster...In A Hurry

Anybody have any thoughts on the best way to pull this off??? Other than practice, practice, practice, that is.....
Old July 31, 2007, 10:38 PM   #2
matthew temkin

I used an ankle holster for many years and had to "speed draw" from it quite a few times.
Sometimes I would drop to my right knee to draw ( I always carried the holster on my left inside ankle) and sometimes I would lift my foot up until I could grab it with my right hand.
A tad awkward, but with some practice very fast and efficient.
Old August 1, 2007, 12:47 AM   #3
Steve in PA

It definitely not the best carry method when you need a handgun fast, but sometime the ankle carry is the best or only option you have. I frequently carry in an ankle holster.
Old August 1, 2007, 01:13 AM   #4
nate45

Quote:
lift my foot up until I could grab it with my right hand
I lift my leg and grab my pant leg above the knee and pull up the cuff with my off hand this seems to speed up the draw even faster.

Im this manner I can draw and put a full magnum 180gr partition HG into the A-zone in 1 to 1.5 sec from 5yds with my Taurus 605.
Old August 1, 2007, 10:54 AM   #5
guntotin_fool

with modern IWB holsters and a more casual look. there is no reason to use ankle carry. Perhaps only as a back up, but they are too slow, and too easy to spot.
Old August 1, 2007, 11:12 AM   #6
The Tourist

Several years ago Ayoob did a magazine piece on this very topic. It might be in Combat Handguns.

Anyway, there was a picture of him splaying his legs very wide to lower his torso. From that position his arm was long enough to sweep down and come up with the firearm.

I wear boots, and I never had an ankle rig. I can tell you this, even a boot knife is slow.

Have you googled things like the "Summer Special"?
Old August 1, 2007, 11:34 AM   #7
Spenser

My problem is that my general build doesn't make carrying IWB very comfortable at all. I've not tried anything like the Milt Sparks, but most of the IWB's that I have tried have been uncomfortable and print too much for my comfort. They work ok for me in winter, with a baggy sweatshirt and jacket, but don't work in Texas summers very well. I'd prefer OWB, but same problem again. Even with a good belt and good holster, I can't conceal well. The pocket or ankle has seemed to work the best for me, and I guess my primary is going to have to be something that is small enough for either at all times. (Sig 232, I've about decided).

The ankle option has worked the best so far, but drawing in a hurry seems to be somewhat problematic, but no more so than a Pagerpal or what a Smartcarry would indicate. I don't know about the Smartcarry, it seems like it would point at delicate areas of the anatomy. Can those be adjusted to ride like a Pager pal? In other words, where I would just blow a hole in my femoral artery as opposed to the wedding equipment?

Has anyone tried one of the Kramer gun shirts, or those the NRA was selling awhile back?? Or a belly band?? Would they be faster than an ankle holster, and conceal equal or better?

Thanks for the discussion on this subject. I'll see if I can dig up the Mas Ayoob article on ankle holsters. I'll look forward to more suggestions on the ankle draw.
Old August 1, 2007, 04:21 PM   #8
David Armstrong

Quote:
The ankle option has worked the best so far, but drawing in a hurry seems to be somewhat problematic, but no more so than a Pagerpal or what a Smartcarry would indicate.
Fortunately the fast draw is rarely needed in actual DGU incidents. IME, the two fastest and most reliable draws from the ankle have already been mentioned. First, the Ayoob spread-out leg position, where the shooter adopts a very wide stance, pulling slightly up with the off-hand on the concealing pant-leg while grabbing the gun, and the drop to one knee method, which also works better if you can get some pant material moved upward while going into the position.
Old August 16, 2007, 07:08 AM   #9
threegun

My biggest dislike with ankle carry is not being able to access the weapon discretely. Most of the time (if you are alert) potential threats are spotted well in advance so they can be avoided. Occasionally a potential threat cannot be avoided and other carry options allow the carrier to grip the weapon in preparation should it be needed (without others knowing anything). Ankle carry doesn't allow this without exposing the weapon. I occasionally carry my Kel-Tec P-32 in an ankle rig usually as a back-up however. I use the Kneel method of draw and find it the fastest for me.
Old August 16, 2007, 09:25 AM   #10
gordo b.

I wore bell bottoms longer than most people
If you do go down on the ground during a fight, the ankle holster works VERY well!
Old August 16, 2007, 11:21 AM   #11
mountainclmbr

It seems like an ankle holster could be the most accessable carry method inside a car. Pocket carry draw is difficult when sitting. IWB can be awkward to draw from when sitting if carrying on the strong side.
Old August 16, 2007, 03:54 PM   #12
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

If you know or have access to a good seamstress, have her remove the inner seam about 18 inches or so (depends on your height/build) and replace it with Velcro. Grabbing the bottom cuff and ripping it open gives quick access to an ankle rig.

Denny
Old August 16, 2007, 04:28 PM   #13
C Philip

^ That's a great idea, Denny. I've never thought of that but it sounds like it would be very fast and you would avoid any possible problems with your pants catching on your boot and preventing you from lifting the leg up quickly. The only thing is you'd have to make sure it was a very discreet velcro or else it might raise some questions as to why you have a velcro on the bottom of your pants leg.
Old August 16, 2007, 05:16 PM   #14
Spenser

That last idea was pure genius. No doubt about it.
Old August 16, 2007, 05:27 PM   #15
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

I thought it was a great idea too, but I can't claim I thought of it.

Passed along to me from Louis Awerbuck who got it from a deputy in Tennessee. One of my students used it to good effect two years ago in Tucson when attacked by some gang bangers, proving the technique's efficacy.

Denny
Old August 16, 2007, 09:13 PM   #16
Dwight55

Spencer, . . . if you are prone to wearing khaki shorts, . . . take a look at some of those that have the extra large pockets in them cargo pockets is what I think they're called.

I'm going to Tx probably next summer, . . . and make hang my hat there for a while. I've already scoped out several pairs of those shorts, . . . and I'll have a thigh rig available through a cut out back of the cargo pocket. It'll be at least a 9mm, . . . and if I can find the right .45, . . . that'll work too.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old August 16, 2007, 10:49 PM   #17
AmesJainchill

Thigh rig through a cargo pocket, I like it!
Old August 16, 2007, 11:20 PM   #18
hottbarrell

I dont know who thought of it first but I had velcro clothes in 1982 at the age of 16 because of a spinal cord injury and have carried since I have one pair of boot cut quick access left (because my fat ass wouldnt fit4 many years )but Im' almost back 2 the same weight k/ass functional idea. grandma sewed uniforms 4 the 3rd reich, I wouldnt lie about that.
I'm new 2 int. posting but not 2 carring. P99er
Old August 17, 2007, 09:34 AM   #19
Mannlicher

I have never found drawing from the ankle to be fast. For me, its almost always a back up position, not a primary carry spot.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old August 17, 2007, 10:24 AM   #20
Denny Hansen
Staff Emeritus

Quote:
...a back up position, not a primary carry spot.
I'm in complete agreement Mannlicher, but some folks don't have as many options as most of us. The student I referred to above is a general manager of a large chain restaurant. I can't say which one, but it sounds a lot like my name.

Uniform of the day for him was a white dress shirt and tie with no jacket. Prohibited by policy of carrying, but working in a bad area his only option was an ankle rig; and it saved his butt.
Denny
Old August 17, 2007, 04:11 PM   #21
Spenser

..Which also illustrates the necessity of actually having one on you. My line of work is putting me into contact with some pretty disreputable types, who usually aren't happy with me after our dealings are done.... So that makes it all the more important to be armed discreetly, when the law allows. Sometimes ankle carry is about all I can do.

I am noting a trend (not that it's new, it just seems to be on the increase) of people having zero respect for anything resembling authority, esepcially the criminal justice system. This week we've had three people arrested for disorderly conduct and contempt of court, with a sprinkling of assault by threat thrown in for good measure.

It sort of hammers home that I could be a target of retaliation outside of my job. A sobering thought, to say the least. I'm sure the LEO's on this site have grown used to such a thought.

The cargo shorts thing isn't a bad idea, but I'd think a bit uncomfortable.
Old August 17, 2007, 04:37 PM   #22
Night Watch
Registration in progress

I remember Jerry Usher, once, remarked; 'Most rounds fly low in a gunfight.' He didn't like the idea of stooping to draw when things suddenly got serious. In my experience ankle rigs tend to work best for people who are sitting down. (or who have to sit down inside something like an automobile for extended periods of time.)

I've got some very nice ankle rigs; but, I can't say that I've actually worn any of them in years. For me it's the front left (outside) pocket that is the most functional.