The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 11, 2006, 12:36 PM   #1
kidvillain41300

NEF 50cal Breech Plug stuck

I have a relatively new NEF 50cal muzzleloader and the breech plug was taken out by me after the first shooting, did the usual cleaning with soap and water, air compress dry and then ballistol lube. Put some anti-seize on the breech plug and reinstalled. Shot the gun a 2nd time, did the same cleaning and all but now the breech plug will not go all the way in. I backed it out and checked the threads and they look fine.........Any clues on this?.....I know a new barrel only runs about $90 so its not the end of the world, I just dont know why or what caused this breech plug not screw all the way in. Thnx
Old May 11, 2006, 11:42 PM   #2
Scorch

Almost sounds like crud in the threads or a ding in the plug threads. Did you drop it at some point?
Old May 12, 2006, 10:58 AM   #3
kidvillain41300

No, all the threads look good and intact...........the breech plug and threads in the barrel are spotless after cleanup........thats what I was thinking too, that there was something in the threads obstructing the breech plug from screwing in
Old May 12, 2006, 01:57 PM   #4
cntryboy1289

crud killer

I would advise you to use crud killer and a 50 caliber brush to scrub out the threads. Once your done, use a light to double check and see if there is anything left in the barrel. Then try to screw the breech plug back in. It should go back without any trouble, but if it doesn't, I would suggest that you have a buggered thread somewhere and the most likely place is at the rear of the threads.
Old May 19, 2006, 09:52 PM   #5
mtnboomer

If you were using heavy loads in your gun you may have set the threads back due to the pressure. Always use an anti-seize lube compound on the breech plug threads when reassembling.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!