The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 21, 2002, 10:34 PM   #1
Alex Johnson

Anyone shoot IDPA with a Para LDA?

I just finished my last IDPA match of the season. To date I shot every match entirely with my G22, and I did part of the match today with this gun also. The last half of the match I switched over to my Kimber Ultra Carry (was going to do the J-frame thing but I forgot my speedloaders so that was not an option). In any event, I'm considering a purchase of a full size 1911 to shoot in the CDP class next year. I've been considering getting rid of my Ultra Carry due to limited use and would like to replace it with a full size 1911. I've been checking over the options and right now am considering a full size Kimber from the custom shop. Only I am somewhat curious of the LDA's Para Ordinance has come out with. Having never fired one I am a little short of understanding of this system. Would there be any advantages with it for carry or IDPA?
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old September 22, 2002, 01:10 AM   #2
fed168

The trigger is pretty awesome for a DA pistol. It is fast, and you have to fire it because words do not describe the trigger. It seems to be on par with SA guns, or close to it.
Old September 22, 2002, 07:44 PM   #3
Leafy

I've been tempted by the full sized 9mm (9-18?, can't remember) for IDPA. I asked IDPA Headquarters and sure enough it would be a SSP. Long sight radius, high grip, good trigger, relatively heavy weight ... what's not to love? Too bad pre ban high caps aren't available (so I could load eleven in the mag and not have to top off). I'd like to shoot one first, though. It sure would be hard to convert me from my 34!
Old September 23, 2002, 05:37 PM   #4
bullseyekp

Todd Jarrett shoots one. Nuff said.
Old September 23, 2002, 11:18 PM   #5
Jim Watson

A fellow in my squad at the 2001 IPDA Nationals was shooting one; and darn well, too. Until the gun quit on the next to last stage of the day. He showed it to the PO rep on site who took it apart and found one of the extra pins in the DAO banjowork had walked out and tied up the action. It was fixed with profuse apologies and he shot it the next day. But he had that one stage DNF and I was too busy with my own worries in the gathering storm to follow what he did for the last stage. Do you reckon Todd Jarrett's PO gets checked out a little better? I have seen only a few others in action. They seemed to do ok, but are not magic.
Old September 30, 2002, 07:55 PM   #6
mr. pitiful

Alex, the LDA is what Jim always shoots, I am sure he would let you try his. Also, the guy who shot himself at the last match is concidering selling his Kimber Eclipse, he is a little shy of them being newer to them and then having that happen. I shot the last match with my little officers model, I really didnt notice any difference between that and my full size Wilson. I think I am going to compete most of next year with a glock just to mix things up a bit. I have kind of reached a platau and need something to push me to the next level, maybe a new toy will do it.

T. Muchow
Old October 6, 2002, 11:48 AM   #7
smoney

The reason the LDA has such a light trigger is that it does not work like a traditional DA, the traditional DA trigger you compress the main/hammer spring by using force exerted onto the trigger.

In the LDA when you rack the slide the mainspring is compressed and locked. and simply released by the trigger when the hammer is brought back. so that is why you can work the trigger down to sub 2#'s.
Old October 9, 2002, 02:38 PM   #8
Jim Watson

I shot one of the LDAs at the PO display at the IDPA Nationals. Or tried to. I literally could not make the gun go off after the first shot. The rep said I wasn't letting the trigger reset. Strange, I have not had any trouble with trigger reset on 1911, CZ75, P220, G-17, or revolver. No LDA for me.