The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 22, 2016, 02:33 PM   #51
The_Jerkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon555 View Post
You might eventually want to get one of these but after 20 years of reloading for varmint and target shooting I've never needed one. Reloading is a gadget intensive hobby. 75% of those gadgets are not needed to produce quality, accurate ammo.

But as far as calipers are concerned they are a must have.

I agree with Metal God.....1/2" groups from a factory rifle are an unrealistic expectation. The internet is full of guys saying "1/2" groups all day long" and "1/2" groups if I do my part".....those statements are a red flag that usually mean "my factory rifle shot a 1/2" group one or two times and can only be repeated every other blue moon" Don't let what people claim on the internet give you an idea of what happens in actuality. I belong to a private range and many of the guys own rifles that cost thousands of dollars. It's a good day when those rifles can shoot that well. As for the guys shooting factory rigs getting that kind of accuracy?.....I've only seen it a handful of times in all my 30 years of shooting. If my factory rifle averages >1" @ 100 yards I'm a happy camper.
Well mine was a range certified by weatherby. Guaranteed to shoot sub moa at 200

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old May 23, 2016, 05:24 PM   #52
Damon555

That's nothing more than a marketing ploy. Will the rifle do it? Sure....most rifles these days can make a similar claim......Usually the real question is can the shooter/ammo combination accomplish that feat?

MOA is a reasonable expectation. Start stretching out the ranges past 100-200 yards and that's when you start running into factors that the shooter can't control which will open up groups considerably.

Weatherby makes an excellent product. Careful reloading will probably have you shooting better than MOA.....enjoy your rifle.
Old May 23, 2016, 06:09 PM   #53
The_Jerkman

That's absolutely true. Oh don't worry I love this rifle and fully expect to get many decades of great hunts out of it and one day in the far far future hand it down to my future grandchildren. I do think within the next few years as I become more proficient with it I may wind up having my smith do some custom work to it to help it shoot even better than it already does. At this point I cannot yet say that I can outshoot what this rifle is capable of. Hopefully that will change in the future

Old September 6, 2016, 11:04 AM   #54
The_Jerkman

Looks like I may have found a round workup that seems to work well. Attached is a picture from my latest trip to the range. Shot roughly .76 MOA at 100

Old September 6, 2016, 12:16 PM   #55
flashhole

Looks like a winner but you missed the nickel.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old September 6, 2016, 06:06 PM   #56
rklapp

I always assume that these tight shot groups are using a $100+ rifle rest which to me is a bit too scientific for my tastes.

Old September 6, 2016, 08:01 PM   #57
The_Jerkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rklapp View Post
I always assume that these tight shot groups are using a $100+ rifle rest which to me is a bit too scientific for my tastes.

Haha I wish. That was just a block of wood and a sandbag on top of the block as a nice rest. I tried with my sled before couldn't shoot worth a can of beans. And unfortunately I did miss the nickel but it is illegal to deface currency so at least I stayed out of trouble there

Old September 6, 2016, 08:13 PM   #58
Longshot4

The 300 Wby. is a high chamber pressure rifle so stay off the rifling as some one had mentioned for the pressure reason.

So you want to use Barnes bullets? If you haven't purchased them yet try a Hornady A-Max in 150Gr. They are very accurate and you won't need to worry about kinetic energy.

168 gr. might get you more BC if you feel you need it. You don't need to pay the Barnes price for Mileys or Prairie Goats.

Practice shooting off hand, kneeling and prone position after you work up your load from a bench.

Good Luck.
Old September 7, 2016, 09:38 PM   #59
Ifishsum

Not easy to even reach the lands in a factory chambered Weatherby...they typically freebore them loooong.

Glad you seem to have found your sweet spot. I just finished a load workup for a Vanguard in .300 WBY, found a great load with IMR7828SSC and 180gr Swift Scirocco II bullets loaded to mag length. You're right about no more than 2 shots at a time...that sucker heats up FAST. Anyway we have a good load at just under 3100fps that will consistently do about 2 in groups @ 300 yds using a Lead Sled. Because I found conflicting load data, before doing anything I loaded one round at the lowest of the starting data and went up in 1 gr increments (over a chrony) until I started getting sticky bolt lift and diminishing FPS gains, then used the previous load as my upper limit and then started working up for accuracy. Ultimately ended up very close to the top end of the higher data.