The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 2, 2012, 12:01 PM   #1
Joe Chicago

Weatherby SA08

I have been thinking about getting a 20 gauge semi auto for hunting and shooting clays. The Weatherby SA08 has gotten good reviews and I finally handled one at Cabelas. It was light, seemed well made, and fit me well. Better yet, it was $499 at full retail.

Does anyone here have experience with the SA08? How does it shoot? Is it reliable? Any problems?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old October 2, 2012, 02:46 PM   #2
Slugo

we bought six of them as loaners for our local gun club, about two years ago. Some parts breakage, but nothing out of the ordinary. We got them through BPS for around $385 a piece. They shoot and feel like an 1100. Also, Weatherby never put their name on junk...
Old October 3, 2012, 12:22 AM   #3
hoghunting

Have a SA-08 12 ga that I used the last two dove seasons, and still using it for this season, and never had a hiccup. With the 26" barrel it mounts and swings very easily, and it's perfect for quick shots. I have no regrets with this shotgun.
Old October 3, 2012, 09:20 AM   #4
Joe Chicago

Thanks for the feedback. I'll watch the sales and pick one up when the price is right.
Old October 12, 2012, 03:41 PM   #5
hermanpj

i just got back from shooting my SA-459 TK (this is the 22 inch barreled turkey gun variation on the same action as the SA-08).

It was awesome on dove. I took the front tactical sight and rear ghost rings off, and just put some sight paint on the little sight mounting block on the barrel. with a modified choke screwed in it was fantastic.

my only caution is get a black synthetic stock or get a wooden stock. i had a cammo pattern stock, and my insect repellant ate it right off of the gun. I think this is a common caution (not specific to weatherby) but just be aware... i am having to re-finish my stock and handguard now.

Also - on this guns dependability, its made by Armsan in Turkey, and sold by by both Tristar and Weatherby in various forms. there's a Youtube of the grueling tests Weatherby and Armsan executed on these guns before Weatherby started importing. Too dudes shooting skeet with literally like 10000 empty hulls in heaps surrounding them... I was pretty convinced after that that it would hold up to my uses.
NRA Member|Texas State Rifle Association Member| Texas Concealed Handgun License holder|Springfield M1A Loaded|Kimber Super Carry Pro .45 ACP|Weatherby SA 459 12 ga|Black Rain+Adams Arms Piston AR15|Beretta 92FS| CZ Dan Wesson ECO 9MM| Ruger 10/22
Old October 14, 2012, 07:21 AM   #6
Joe Chicago

Thanks Herman. Every review of the SA08 I have read has been positive, but I do not think that the writers at F&S and Outdoor Life are putting 1,000s of rounds through shotguns. Turkish guns have come a long way in recent years and I doubt Weatherby would import a gun unless they were confident of its quality.
Old October 15, 2012, 08:35 PM   #7
Smitty in CT

Gander Mountain has the Mossberg SA-20 on sale for $299, keep your eyes open...

Basically, the same gun, the Weatherby's available in walnut, the Mossberg isn't ...

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his." -- Gen. George Patton
Old October 17, 2012, 12:47 PM   #8
hermanpj

absolutely the turkish shotguns have come a long way. you should see some of armsan's finer quality guns - nobody seems to be importing them to our market ( i guess its too saturated) but I think they are very popular in Europe.
NRA Member|Texas State Rifle Association Member| Texas Concealed Handgun License holder|Springfield M1A Loaded|Kimber Super Carry Pro .45 ACP|Weatherby SA 459 12 ga|Black Rain+Adams Arms Piston AR15|Beretta 92FS| CZ Dan Wesson ECO 9MM| Ruger 10/22
Old October 31, 2012, 02:38 PM   #9
william4440

weatherby SA08

I have the SA08 in 12 ga. Their ad says "this will become the only shotgun
you will ever need" It has. It is quick handling light weight and has less
recoil of any 12 ga I have ever shot. It never fails to fire eject and reload
every time I pull the trigger. I bought the gun without knowing any thing
about it.I knew Weatherby would not put their name on any thing but
quality. It is equal to most gun that cost twice the $432. I payed for It.
Get the Weatherby, excellent buy. william4440.

Last edited by william4440; October 31, 2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: correcting text
Old April 17, 2013, 10:25 PM   #10
jmstr

I've been looking and reading about the SA-08. Interesting. It looks identical to my S&W Model 1012 semi-auto shotgun, which was made in Turkey around 2005-ish. S&W quit importing them around 2009.

I'd LOVE to know if they REALLY are the same, as I'd LOVE to have a source for parts!
Old April 18, 2013, 03:52 PM   #11
redrick

I had 1 in 12 gauge. I ended up selling it. It would not pattern buckshot and shot about 12" inches low. I tried 5 different makes of chokes and alot of different BK. There were a few other things that I didn't like about it also.

I did like how it handled, low weight, light recoil (even with buckshot) and how easy it was to clean.

They might be fine with birdshot though.

Also check the recoil numbers before you buy. Mine was a recall model, it had been setting at the gun store for 2 years. It was a simple fix ( replace the trigger group) but still a hassle.