The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 23, 2018, 03:36 PM   #1
moosemike

Raven .25 auto

I have one of these. I guess I only keep it because there's no money in selling it. But it shoots to the sights, is accurate, and always goes bang. I can't say anything bad about it.
Old April 23, 2018, 04:20 PM   #2
Fishbed77

A friend of the family has one that I've shot before. Despite the ever-present fear of slide-bite (or a potmetal explosion), it's actually an accurate little pistol with a surprisingly good trigger.
Old April 23, 2018, 08:11 PM   #3
moosemike

My Grandpa had one he kept in the house for my Grandma. Me and my cousin got a hold of it and took it out in the woods and were shooting at squirrels with it. We were just kids at the time. The adults never found out about that. Maybe that memory is why I got one for myself?
Old April 23, 2018, 09:33 PM   #4
JERRYS.

I had one in the late 80s, it never malfunctioned. I can't say that for some name brand guns I've had.
Old April 24, 2018, 01:59 AM   #5
ma96782

Raven Story......

I had this GF once. She was left the Raven by her ex-husband, for home defense. I took it out shooting and it was a pretty good experience. Similar to what you said. But, ammo was expensive for it. And, she was not a fan of the semi-automatic nor of it's capability as a home defense firearm.

Anyway, I traded my Charter Arms revolver in .38 Special for her Raven.

Later down the road we broke up and I sold the Raven with whatever ammo I had for $150.

Aloha, Mark
Old April 24, 2018, 03:17 AM   #6
Hal

Quote:
I sold the Raven with whatever ammo I had for $150.
Wow!! Did you wear a mask when you sold it - - or did you have several hundred rounds of ammo thrown in?

JK--

I seem to recall I paid roughly $49 each for both of the ones I bought.
One for me and another for my father in law.

My experience was the same as above - decent shooter for the price, but, I never trusted the gun or the caliber.
Old April 24, 2018, 05:30 AM   #7
moosemike

Wow, $150! Somebody offered me 150 mine would probably be gone too!
Old April 24, 2018, 05:44 AM   #8
CajunBass

I remember years ago in I think it was "Gun Test" magazine they did a comparison between an ATM Hardballer (SS 1911 type), and a Raven 25.

The Raven won, because it worked every time they pulled the trigger. They couldn't say enough bad stuff about the Hardballer. Apparently, IIRC, they couldn't get it to run a full magazine.

I used to lust for one. Back then they sold for about $30.00 or so brand new. That I could at least imagine being able to afford. No way I could have gotten anything else. A hundred bucks? Might as well have been a million.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old April 24, 2018, 06:30 AM   #9
Carmady

Here's a rare bird. A first year Raven made in the Baldwin Park plant. Note the dinged sights with the factory finish.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Raven Baldwin Park.jpg (58.3 KB, 127 views)
Old April 24, 2018, 09:06 AM   #10
Oysterboy

I had a Raven, the real mccoy. Damn good pistol. I shot at the range in the 15 yard lanes and it grouped well.

The shooter next to me asked what is that toy you're shooting?
Old April 24, 2018, 09:40 AM   #11
TruthTellers

I have one and like it. Would like to shoot it more, but .25 is way more expensive than it should be.

I was at a gun store last month and saw a tiny as heck .25, can't remember what it was, but it made me realize the Raven is too big to be a .25, but it's a blowback action with a zamak slide, so there is no getting around that. The nice thing is it is reliable and I've only had one malfunction in 50 rounds, a FTE on the last round.
Old April 26, 2018, 10:02 PM   #12
HisSoldier

Work in the metals trade long enough and you'll develop a strong dislike for Zamak and other zinc alloys.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old April 27, 2018, 02:31 AM   #13
Hal

Quote:
Work in the metals trade long enough and you'll develop a strong dislike for Zamak and other zinc alloys.
Heck, be a kid growing up in the 1950's & watch your toys disintegrate & you develop those same feelings !
Old April 27, 2018, 05:53 PM   #14
dgludwig

I have a Handgun Tests magazine, published in 1979, that has a chapter entitled: "Why a $49 Raven .25 Is Better Than a $220 S&W 9mm Model 59!" The author/tester Phil Engeldrum concluded that the Smith was one of the worst pistols, a "really scary" one, that he had ever tested because "it doesn't fire every time you pull the trigger".

Though Mr. Engeldrum conceded that the Raven "is not a great gun", he considered it to be a better gun than the Model 59 because "...everytime I pull the trigger on that little turkey, it shoots."

All that said, if given a choice between the two today, I would pick the...
Old May 1, 2018, 12:41 PM   #15
CANIS

Way back in the late 80's, the first gun I ever bought was a Raven .25. I am pretty sure it was maybe $50 or $60 dollars. I bought it at the Holiday Inn gun show in Midland Texas. Before the internet and every armchair gun expert in the world told me it was a POS, I loved that little pistol. It never jammed, was accurate and did what it was supposed to do. I carried that little gun in the pocket of my utes in the USMC and it withstood the challenge through dessert, snow and whatever.

I traded that gun off to another Marine for a pair of boots prior to joining the mishmash of suckiness that is the civilian world.

I would love to have that old gun back... it is kind of like my Rosebud of firearms... a simpler time when we made our own choices and learned our own way without the relentless machine of marketing and fake experts spouting off about endless silly drills, multiple backup guns and the latest wonder zapper ammo...

Anyways... they are surprisingly good little pistols and I doubt you could wear one out with normal use. It is not like the .25 is a high pressure round.
Old May 1, 2018, 01:27 PM   #16
Oysterboy

I used to call mine my drinking buddy.
Old May 1, 2018, 02:40 PM   #17
DPris
Member Emeritus

Can't recall how I came into possession, but had one in the early '80s that I finally up-traded for a Beretta Jetfire and some cash.
Kinda wish I'd kept it, the thing did function.

Last Raven I saw in person was probably in the mid '90s.
Got sent out on a "found property" call.
Turned out to be a nickel-plated Raven they'd stumbled across.
In a lake.
150 miles away.

Outside looked fine, insides were rusted.
They had no explanation of why they'd brought it home to turn in to our PD, instead of calling local LE on it.

Coulda been a dumped murder weapon, and I'm sure our guys were over-worked enough to close-case it without following up with the appropriate jurisdiction.
Denis
Old May 1, 2018, 03:38 PM   #18
Jazzgun

Love these threads about the little Raven with the interesting history. Got ours working today. YAY!!!
Old May 1, 2018, 03:52 PM   #19
Jazzgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemike View Post
I have one of these. I guess I only keep it because there's no money in selling it. But it shoots to the sights, is accurate, and always goes bang. I can't say anything bad about it.
Hey Mike! We got ours working so we will be heading to the range with them this weekend. I love these little pistols! Thanks for your encouragement. Btw...we paid $75 for my husbands and $84 for mine. Mine was like brand new in the box. Didn't appear to have been fired much. My hubs gun looked to have seen some action but still nice.

Can't wait to fire them!
Old May 1, 2018, 04:09 PM   #20
moosemike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzgun View Post
Hey Mike! We got ours working so we will be heading to the range with them this weekend. I love these little pistols! Thanks for your encouragement. Btw...we paid $75 for my husbands and $84 for mine. Mine was like brand new in the box. Didn't appear to have been fired much. My hubs gun looked to have seen some action but still nice.

Can't wait to fire them!
That's awesome. Glad to hear it!
Old May 1, 2018, 04:38 PM   #21
Jazzgun

Thanks!
Old May 1, 2018, 05:07 PM   #22
Jazzgun

Here's a pic of my gun. Ain't she a beauty?

Old May 1, 2018, 05:15 PM   #23
HighValleyRanch

I thought they were supposed to be made out of "pot metal".
Is that chromed pot metal?
Old May 1, 2018, 05:22 PM   #24
Jazzgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
I thought they were supposed to be made out of "pot metal".
Is that chromed pot metal?
Hey High Valey! The frame is made out of zinc alloy, which there is much discussion as to if it is classified as pot metal. lol The slide and all other important parts are steel and most are chromed although they did make a few in the blued version. All parts of the gun are chromed.

Pretty huh?

Last edited by Jazzgun; May 1, 2018 at 05:23 PM. Reason: clarify where chrome is.
Old May 1, 2018, 05:25 PM   #25
Jazzgun

Here's a better pic of the gun only.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg raven my gun in box only.jpg (90.4 KB, 3423 views)