The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 3, 2018, 02:18 PM   #1
Mongoose4/3

Daniel Defense

I'm looking for some opinions. I'm getting to pay $1600 for a Daniel Defense MMD4-V7. I really like the feel of the gun and I like the M-lock fore arm. Does anyone like this gun or think there are any other ARs in this price range that you would prefer.
Old January 3, 2018, 02:36 PM   #2
Targa

Excellent AR, my brother has one. With that said, I can’t tell enough of a difference between it and my $840 M4E1 Aeroprecision to justify twice the cost. Heck, I think $800 is to much to pay for an AR.
If I were to buy a high dollar AR this is the one I would look at https://double-d-armory.com/product/sstf-v2/

Last edited by Targa; January 3, 2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old January 3, 2018, 05:28 PM   #3
Mongoose4/3

Thanks for the input. I will look into this one,
Old January 3, 2018, 06:51 PM   #4
Eazyeach

If you have the disposable income and you want it, then get it. I've always wanted a DD rifle myself. That being said my Colt 6720 and BCM middy are great guns for far less money.
Colt 6920 plus aimpoint pro plus case of ammo would probably cost less
Old January 3, 2018, 07:39 PM   #5
WannabeMiculek

Can't go wrong with the Daniel Defense, but if you're looking for another option try this out https://www.rebelarms.com/rbr-15-s-mod3-695.html
Old January 3, 2018, 08:43 PM   #6
turtlehead

Of those mentioned I'd get the DD. Or I'd look at the BCM rifles.

Funny how the prices have gone up on the higher end stuff while everything else has come down. I'd spend some time and look for a good deal. I've seen those DDs go for $1200 in recent years. They usually go on sale a couple times a year.
Old January 3, 2018, 09:01 PM   #7
ms6852

My brother has several ar's , a Daniel Defense, a BCM and a les Baer, all high dollar stuff. He likes to brag but cannot shoot a worth a nickel. By other brother has a bushmaster and shoots circles around him at 500 yards, and I shoot circles around both of them with my RRA and S&W M&P 15. My point here is how much money does it take for you to get the desired results you want, whether it is adoration from the public and strangers or accuracy from the manufacturer. For me it takes a lot less money even though money is not an issue. In general I like to pay for practical and functional stuff, not for a name.
Old January 4, 2018, 09:15 PM   #8
Mongoose4/3

Thank you guys for your replies.
Old January 4, 2018, 09:58 PM   #9
GLK

Only experience with DD is with other peoples guns and all good. I do however buy their BCG's every time I see one on sale(two). If you can afford it and you think it is worth it, it is worth it. As long as they make a profit & stay in business I guess they know at what price their guns should sell.
Old January 5, 2018, 09:29 AM   #10
odugrad

I'm a big fan of Daniel Defense. I think they are top notch. That said, $1600 seems rather high. I'd shop around if I were you. You shouldn't be paying MSRP. Ever.
Old January 5, 2018, 09:47 AM   #11
Fishbed77

DD makes excellent rifles. But BCM does too, and usually for a better price if you shop around.

Quote:
Can't go wrong with the Daniel Defense, but if you're looking for another option try this out https://www.rebelarms.com/rbr-15-s-mod3-695.html
Sorry. No-name ARs can't really hold a candle to proven rifles like those from DD & BCM. That's not to say it's not a quality piece, but DD & BCM have an extremely good reputation for their QA & QC.
Old January 5, 2018, 11:26 AM   #12
marine6680

I will echo what others have said...

DD makes great rifles.

The price is a little high for the current market, as I have seen them on sale for less lately.

That being said, I usually go with BCM rifles. I think they are as well built as a DD for less money usually. DD rifles are more aesthetically pleasing though, as many are ceracoated, and even the standard anodizing and fit and finish is very good too. BCM is very close though, so I save the cash and go with them.

Basically, the ~$1500 price range is usually the top end of what I will pay for an AR, as that is the sweet spot of quality to price for me.

If you don't want to spend that much, a Colt 6920 is an excellent rifle for half the price... But you don't get any fancy features.

Aero precision and PSA can get you into the fancier front ends and nice extra features for the under $1000 price point... Often their nicer stuff is priced similarly to a basic Colt 6920.

Nothing wrong with having a higher end rifle... Even a very expensive boutique rifle from Wilson or others...

Really it comes down to what you want.

A cheaper rifle can be just as reliable and tough as a higher end one... It's all down to component quality.

That being said... I trust DD and BCM rifles more than an Aero or PSA... Especially before testing them, and putting a few hundred rounds through them to confirm function.

But my HD rifle, that sits loaded and ready to go is my PSA Premium. I have enough rounds through it that I know it is reliable and will work when needed.
Old January 5, 2018, 07:31 PM   #13
Mobuck

Do you expect to use the rifle in a way that will make a $1500 rifle necessary? If so, absolutely, the extra $$ are worthwhile. If you're working with "logo ego" biasing your choice, probably not worthwhile.
I expect my AR's to work as needed and put bullets where I aim them under any condition I may encounter w/o question but I don't make choices based on the markings on the side.
Old January 5, 2018, 08:29 PM   #14
hdwhit

When confronted with much the same choice, I decided to buy a $600 AR, a $300 optic, a dozen extra magazines and still had enough to buy enough components to load 3,000 rounds of ammunition.
Old January 5, 2018, 10:05 PM   #15
Mongoose4/3

I guess I should have given a little more detail about the price. Cabelas has this Danial defense rifle for $1599. At Cabelas I get 5% off for being a veteran, 2% off for using their charge card, I have a Cabelas gift card and I have points from my use of their charge card. This will bring my total price to about $1350. I now have a Stag Arm AR and I wanted to do some updates on it. After seeing what my updates are going to cost I decided to go with the Danial Defense. It has all the updates (except trigger) that I was looking for. You know what they say Buy once cry once.
Old January 5, 2018, 10:06 PM   #16
Mobuck

"When confronted with much the same choice, I decided to buy a $600 AR, a $300 optic, a dozen extra magazines and still had enough to buy enough components to load 3,000 rounds of ammunition."
Excellent plan.

Last edited by Mobuck; January 5, 2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old January 5, 2018, 10:14 PM   #17
Eazyeach

Well if you want a decent set up with a good trigger go to gandrtactical.com and you can order a BCM complete lower with various Geiselle triggers already installed. Then you can choose a BCM upper to complete your rifle. You'll be in there like swimwear. Probably make a nice rifle right around your $1350 DD.

The DD would actually be more like$1550 if you put a nice trigger in it. But if you go with DD you'll be happy too. You can't lose
Old January 5, 2018, 10:17 PM   #18
Eazyeach

I love the look of DD rifles. My only gripe about them is they are pricey and it comes with a standard milspec trigger. For as much as they charge I'd like a better trigger.
Old January 6, 2018, 12:45 AM   #19
marine6680

At $1300, its not a bad price for the rifle. If it has the features you want, then go for it.

Thats the great thing about an AR... You can get the features you want at a wide range of prices.

Plenty of options, so get what you want, so you won't regret anything later.
Old January 6, 2018, 05:29 AM   #20
Targa

You will certainly enjoy that DD. In reference to the 5% military discount, did you confirm that applied to firearms? I only ask because it excludes firearms at the Cabelas near me.
Old January 8, 2018, 05:05 PM   #21
FAS1

Lots of good AR's out there. I have been seeing these guys name pop up a lot lately for quality and customer service. Might be worth taking a look at.

https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/collections/rifles
Old January 8, 2018, 05:45 PM   #22
Fishbed77

Quote:
When confronted with much the same choice, I decided to buy a $600 AR, a $300 optic, a dozen extra magazines and still had enough to buy enough components to load 3,000 rounds of ammunition.
It all depends on what you need out of the rifle. If you are going to use it for paper-punching or hunting, a consumer-grade budget rifle will likely serve you well. If you are going to depend on it to save your life, the equation shifts at bit, and manufacturers with proven levels of QA/QC become a prerequisite.
Old January 9, 2018, 10:25 AM   #23
Stats Shooter

I have a DDM4 w/14.5" pinned barrel, FDE finish, surefire brake, surefire can, and other add one's.

First, the trigger is mil-spec, so plan on spending some more $$ to correct that. Then, unless you plan on shooting irons the whole time, you will spend $$$$ on optics.....don't be the guy who buys a $1,500 rifle and a $80 optic and wonders why he can't shoot.

I also have a COLT 6920, they can easily be found right now for $800 Or less and they are fine rifles.

I like the way the DD feels vs the COLT. But to set the COLT up like my DD would have cost $2k and the DD was about $2.5k.

If money isn't a big issue for you, get a DD....but, right now I think the best intersection of cost v quality is a COLT 6920

Here's the DD

[IMG][/IMG]

No need for a pic of my colt...it has just a carry handle and GI handguard.
Old January 9, 2018, 08:30 PM   #24
Mongoose4/3

Well today I purchased the Daniel Defense today. This rifle sure feels good to handle. Weather permitting I will go to the range tomorrow to see how it does. As for optics I plan on putting my Eotech red dot on this rifle. Tomorrow I will have a Vortec scope on it to see what kind of groups this rifle does.
I purchased CMMG .45 cal carbine a few months ago and after sending it back 3 times because I was getting 12-16" groups at 50 yards. So I don't want to set this rifle up the way I want it until I see if there are any problems with it.
Someone asked if Cabelas gave the 5% discount on firearms. The Cabelas here in Delaware gives it.
One more thing, what are you guys using for a back up sight to your optics? I'm looking for some suggestions. I think I know what I might use but always looking input.
Old January 9, 2018, 09:16 PM   #25
Stats Shooter

Quote:
One more thing, what are you guys using for a back up sight to your optics? I'm looking for some suggestions. I think I know what I might use but always looking input.
I use troy industries flip ups and 1/2 co-witness with my aim point