The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 13, 2018, 09:49 PM   #26
doofus47

Have had striker fire pistols from Springfield (XD-M, XD-S), Walther (P99x2,PPS) and CZ(100). None have yet broken an internal part. Admittedly, I don't throw 5k rounds / year on those.

I could say the same about my hammer-fired Sig, Makarov and Tokarev with the same caveat that I don't shoot enough to wear out most guns.

Modern technology is truly impressive.
Old January 14, 2018, 05:25 AM   #27
1stmar

I've had light hits with my sr9 and a friend has had the same w sr9c. I've also had no primer hit and the trigger reset. Ruger has destroyed the pistol and sent me a new one. galloway precision has a heavy duty spring for light primer hits, sounds like a chronic problem w sr9s.
Old January 14, 2018, 09:58 AM   #28
Carl the Floor Walker

I would say, clean out the channel periodically. I have had light strikes and found out after taking the pistol down that that a lot of crude will produce light strikes. Just bought a sonic cleaner to see if this helps with dirty channels with out tearing the gun down. And I will not use anything but Ballistol, which does not cause gum problems. I learned the hard way, not to jump on every new gimmick cleaner. Some can junk up a gun fast and harden.
Old January 14, 2018, 10:25 AM   #29
arquebus357

All bolt action rifles are striker fired.
Old January 14, 2018, 11:34 AM   #30
Nathan

Quote:
Is that why valve springs in car and truck engines may cycle many, many millions of times over an engine's life and almost NEVER fail?

Increase your valve lift and rpm a bit and then come back with that....

They do fail, but not usually in stock motors.
Old January 14, 2018, 01:05 PM   #31
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Sherrill
Is that why valve springs in car and truck engines may cycle many, many millions of times over an engine's life and almost NEVER fail?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
Increase your valve lift and rpm a bit and then come back with that....
It's likely that changing the operating range of the valve spring, as might be happening in the case you describe, pushes the valve spring to or beyond it's design/elastic limit. That leads to the micro-fractures previouisly described -- and another name for that is metal fatigue. Metal is a surprisingly resilient material, but like any material, you can't push (or pull) or bend it too far.

If you used springs designed to handle higher engine RPMs and to function with a different amount of valve travel -- rather than forcing stock springs to do something they likely weren't supposed to do -- the replacement springs might cycle many, many millions of times over the engine's life, too.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; January 15, 2018 at 09:04 AM.