The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 7, 2019, 12:57 PM   #26
big al hunter

I have hunted deer and black bear with handguns as primary weapon several times. Mostly with a Ruger Redhawk in 44 mag. Lately it is with a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull with a 2-7 scope. Many years ago I used a TC Contender in 7-30 Waters. That one also wears a scope, 2-7 IIRC. For the revolvers I like the performance of the Hornady XTP. But I just started casting my own. So I may be switching to hard cast, powder coated bullets. I am also contemplating hunting elk with hanguns. But muzzleloader is sooo much fun.....

Last edited by big al hunter; November 8, 2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old November 11, 2019, 11:34 AM   #27
stinkeypete

In years past I took many big Wisconsin whitetails with .45 Colt handloads from my Ruger Bisley Blackhawk. Shots were all at about 25-30 yards as that was the terrain. I used to shoot bullseye league and was a real good shot. I learned that good shots in field conditions are really very different than shooting at the range. I hit many a stick and tree.

I am older now and my eyesight has really gone downhill. So has the thrill of using a handgun. If I was to go again, I'd be happier with a rifle. A lever action rifle in .44 Mag would be my choice except I have settled on my Grandpa's 30-06 just because I am sentimental.
Old November 11, 2019, 12:06 PM   #28
7.62 man

I hunt deer with an AR pistol in .300 blackout 8.5" barrel. It's not a distance gun by any means but out to about 100 yds it will take them down if you do your part by hitting the vitals.
I harvested a doe with a perfect double lung/heart shot from 97 yds away. She only took three more steps & fell, no tracking needed. Using Hornady 110 gr Vmax rounds.
Great gun for tight woods, easy to maneuver, light to carry, enough stopping power to get the job done.
Old November 16, 2019, 11:55 AM   #29
treg

I have shot many whitetails (40+?) with various .44 mags. My fave being the Blackhawk, I dumped the scopes and HP bullets early on.

I now have a 4 5/8" FT .44 Spl as my fave woods gun which has shot a lot of stuff, some of it big, but not a deer / big game.

Been on a rifle kick for a few years now, but the itch is coming back. I do not carry both rifle and pistol as an either / or proposition.
Old November 16, 2019, 04:21 PM   #30
Hanshi

While I no longer hunt with handguns due to bad eyesight, I did a lot of it up until a few years ago. I hunted small and large game with revolvers/autos in .22LR and revolvers from .38 spl up to .44 mag. I've taken lots of deer with a couple of S&W .357s and Ruger .41 & .44 mags and the .45 Colt. My longest shot was on a buck at 90 yards with a .44 SBH. A few times I hunted the entire season with handguns. I miss the challenge...a lot!
Old November 16, 2019, 06:35 PM   #31
Steve in PA

I haven’t hunted with a rifle in probably 20 years. I started hunting with a scoped Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 Magnum. I’ve taken several deer with this particular handgun. Currently, I’m hunting with scoped T/C Contenders; one in 7-30 Waters and the other in .44 Magnum. I’ve taken a couple of deer with the 7-30 Waters, looking to christen the .44 Magnum this year.

I also hunted with a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum. It’s my short range (<50 yards) hunting handgun. I’ve added a Burris Fastfire 3 to it evaluate with aging eyes it was getting hard to clearly see the front sight.
Old November 18, 2019, 02:10 PM   #32
BoogieMan

I have carried my 460xvr into the stand the last few years. I have every intention of using it on deer and or black bear. Unfortunately it seems to be bad juju for hunting. If I leave it in house, game comes by. Take it with me, and notta.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old November 19, 2019, 01:34 AM   #33
Geezerbiker

I tried it once and it didn't work well for me. The only deer I saw was way out of range. Here in Oregon unless you draw a controlled deer hunt tag, you get to pick archery or firearms season but not both. Since these dang black tail are so hard to hunt, I don't want to give up any advantage that I can get...

Tony
Old November 26, 2019, 06:01 PM   #34
black mamba

I've taken whitetails with revolvers, both bucks and does, from 7 yds to about 20 yds with either a 629 Classic 6½" or a BFR 454 5". Both have been equipped with UltraDot 30 red dot sights.

I took this one last Saturday, a nice 9-point. Neck shot at 18 yds, but needed a finisher.

My longest shot was with an Encore with a Bullberry custom 10" barrel in 44 magnum. Range was about 45 yards offhand, a tough shot for me with such a heavy weapon. The buck scored 134.

Old November 26, 2019, 08:00 PM   #35
Doyle

Mr. Mamba, would you please give me a comparison of shooting that Encore .44 with shooting your revolver? Is one more pleasant to shoot than the other?
Old November 28, 2019, 10:53 AM   #36
black mamba

Doyle, the Encore with the 10" bull barrel is about a pound and a half heavier than the Smith 629 Classic, plus the scope weighs almost a pound more than the red dot sight, so the Encore is way heavier. I shoot heavier handloads in the Encore (300 grain @ 1375 fps versus 270 gr @ 1275' for the S&W) and it is still easier on recoil. The problem with the much heavier weapon is offhand shooting. It's extended power and range is great from a tree stand, but on the ground I prefer the revolver.
Old December 20, 2019, 05:08 PM   #37
mxsailor803

Yep. I tried bows when I was a teenager but it never did anything for me. Then I got into handgun hunting. That bit me hard lol. I’ve killed hogs, deer, squirrels, foxes, and coyotes with various handguns over the years. The one I’ve been using the longest is my 629 .44mag. It has went through many changes and setups over the years. I’ve even had the Thompson Contender. Unfortunately, now I couldn’t use a bow if I wanted to due to a shoulder injury from work and elbow injury from playing softball. So, I’m stuck with handguns lol
Old December 21, 2019, 11:50 AM   #38
buck460XVR

I do. All I've used for deer during the firearms season for a dozen years or so. While my success has declined, the quality of the hunt has increased. 'Nuff said.
Old December 27, 2019, 10:03 AM   #39
E.J.W.

41 Mag for 20+ years now..

My 657 has a long list of white tail kills.
I will admit that it has aged better than I have as it takes a lot more of "me" to get the shot where it needs to be these days. If it ever gets to a point where I cannot do my part well enough to ensure a clean kill, there's always the trusty 11-87 patiently waiting to go afield again.
E.
Old December 29, 2019, 07:44 PM   #40
reynolds357

I used to. Then I decided it was a self imposed handicap.
I Used Contender.