The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: Nova or BPS???
Benelli Nova 12ga. 6 40.00%
Browning BPS 12ga. hunter 9 60.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 11, 2001, 08:45 AM   #1
bubo2069

Nova or BPS???

this is my first post here, so hi all!!!

I like em both!!!! I want a shogun that I can do almost any kind of hunting with. I like the Nova because it can handle 3 1/2inch shells and is cheaper than the BPS, but I like the bottom eject of the BPS and the wood stock. The most use my shotgun is going to get is mainly from shooting trap(but skeet and sporting clays are a possibility). A 3 1/2 chamber can shoot 2 3/4, 3, and 3 1/2 shells right???

Fogot to say that I like the BPS because it weighs less then the Nova.
Old December 12, 2001, 01:21 AM   #2
Will Beararms

Welcome aboard! I love the BPS. I no longer have one and my pump is an 870 which was a gift and will never be sold but I love the BPS--------------Great handling and the Rolls Royce of Pump Shotguns.
Old December 12, 2001, 05:21 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A shotgun built to handle the 3 1/2" shells will handle the shorter ones also.

I've heard few complaints about the BPS, but the bottom loading may be a slight hindrance on the trap field.
Old December 12, 2001, 11:20 AM   #4
bubo2069

Thanks guys!

Dave,
The bottom loading/eject is no problem for me. I've only shot a shotgun once and it was an Itaca Model 37(bottom load,eject).

Still waiting for more opinions from others!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bps 12 ga. hunter.jpg (33.4 KB, 71 views)
Old December 12, 2001, 02:12 PM   #5
Zoso

Benelli, barely.

I would have to go with the Benelli, but by a slim margin. Both of these guns have a rebate going now Browning(75), Benelli(35), which should also be a consideration. The standard black Nova runs 345, and with that price you get a lot of gun. The nova is a lighter weapon, and has the option of putting a recoil reducer in it, which will make those 31/2 in loads a little friendlier. The only knock I have on the nova is that the forearm is very loose, and rattles a lot, which is not good for those tracking through the woods. Either gun would server you very well.
Old January 7, 2002, 06:32 PM   #6
Brooks

BPS vs Nova

I was handling and looking at shotguns today and I thought the Nova was a rattle trap in addition to being ugly. Italians are style masters but I understand that the unconventional appearance of the Nova was a very deliberate decision.

My favorite of the the day would have to be a Montefeltro--lean, beautiful with a buttery action--smooooth! Must have had a different design team.
Old January 7, 2002, 09:32 PM   #7
PJR

BPS without question. Little more traditional styling, seems more solidly built, the top tang safety is more to my liking and the bottom eject makes for new friends in the duck blind.

As for the Benelli, it's a fine gun but too much plastic for my tastes. Just one question, have you actually fired one of these guns with a 3-1/2 load? I have and its not something I'd care to make a habit. That light gun and little narrow stock just doesn't match up well with those big loads. No wonder, Benelli markets a recoil reducer for them.
Old January 7, 2002, 10:45 PM   #8
Bam Bam

I have BPS in 12 and 20 ga. Both are bee-u-tee-ful guns. I could have bought a Nova over the past 3 years but passed because I don't like the plastic and have heard a lot about the recoil. The way folks talk about it the recoil reducer should be built in by Benelli. Both are solid guns but the BPS has the looks and reliability is at least as good. I have used the 20 ga at skeet successfully, 20/25, my highest score.

BTW, are you sure the BPS weighs less? The 12 ga is heavy, the 20 ga is heavenly.