The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 17, 2017, 04:09 PM   #1
Brutus

.357Mag and universal clays

Recently got back into the .357. For years I've used 8gr. of Unique or 7.5gr. of universal clays as a target load for .44mag. and .45 Colt with lead .240gr. and .250gr. SWC's. Looking for something similar for 158gr. SWC's in .357.
Tried 5.3gr of universal which shot OK but nothing stellar in the accuracy department. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old September 17, 2017, 05:21 PM   #2
Vulcannut

First I must say I am new to reloading. This being said I enjoyed what I shot through my 6inch Ruger Security Six and my little Charter Arms Mag Pug this last Friday which was 6.2 grains of HP38, CCI 550 magnum primer, Xtreme bullets 158 Plated SWC. They felt lighter than my 158 grain Freedom Munitions RN I had to compare them too. Not much lighter but a little.
Old September 18, 2017, 08:30 AM   #3
NoSecondBest

For several years I had access to unlimited amounts of Clays powders and I was shooting many thousands of rounds a year out of both handgun and shotgun. A couple of the handguns were custom built Coonan .357mags (original Coonans, not the current generation) and a couple of Bill Davis custom built revolvers. I NEVER got great groups with any Clays powder in handguns. It was good in shotguns, just not so good in handguns. Depends on what your expectations are for it. It was disappointing to me back then.
Old September 18, 2017, 08:36 AM   #4
BBarn

Don't recall trying Universal in the .357. I've been happy with W231 and HS-6 for medium power plated/jacketed 158 gr. 357 loads. Haven't done much with cast in the 357.
Old September 18, 2017, 11:19 AM   #5
bedlamite

In 357 mag I use 6.0gr of Universal under a plated 158gr. I've shot thousands of them over the years.
Old September 18, 2017, 11:34 AM   #6
NoSecondBest

For target wad cutters or semi wad cutters just get some 231. It's a great powder for those bullets. My Bill Davis guns would shoot one ragged hole at 25yds with that powder and a SWC bullet.
Old September 18, 2017, 11:40 AM   #7
mikld

When trying to simplify my powder inventory I decided to go with Universal for my handgun ammo. I got a 4 lb jug and found a couple 1 pound bottles locally and have been trying it in all my handgun loads. I have used a lot in 9mm (my "stash" load is 4.6 gr. Universal under a 125 gr. JHP), a lot in .44 Mag., but no .357 Magnum. I have some Universal loads in 38 Special but because of the fires around here and a stubborn ladder (it won and I'm on crutches) I haven't been able to shoot 'em. My Hodgdon manual says 4.0-6.2 gr of Universal for a 158 gr LSWC in 357, so you have room to go up. From my limited experience I've found Universal, like Unique likes the upper end of the "window" for good ignition/consistency...
Old September 18, 2017, 11:56 AM   #8
T. O'Heir

Universal and Clays are two different powders. The Universal is something called Clays Technology.
5.3 grains of Universal is .5 below minimum for a jacketed 158. Hodgdon says to use 5.8 to 6.3 for a jacketed 158. They only show cast 158 grain loads for Clays.
7.5 grains of Universal is .5 below minimum for a .44 too. Not enough to matter in either case though.
Old September 18, 2017, 12:07 PM   #9
Jim Watson

When new, it was indeed labeled "Universal Clays."
The Internet Generation found this confusing, so now they just call it "Universal."
If that was so confusing, I don't know how they manage to keep all those colored dots straight, not to mention the four digit IMR codes. Unequal is going to drive them nuts.

Any road, Universal is in the same performance range as Unique, but not a grain for grain substitute. Only place I have that shows both is a Speer manual that shows a bit less Universal than Unique for the same velocity.
Old September 19, 2017, 09:15 PM   #10
Brutus

My goto powder for .44 and ,45colt was always Unique but when the Obama shortages hit and I couldn't find any I dipped into my stash of Universal clays
that I had for 12 gauge shot shells. Found that it provided similar performance, metered better, was cleaner burning and required less powder. Think my 5.3gr. load might be a bit light.
Old September 20, 2017, 08:07 AM   #11
Road_Clam

For full bang max loads I like H110. When I want softer loads for my wife or daughter I then go to 2400.