The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 8, 2013, 08:01 PM   #1
hudson69

Does anyone keep a BOB gun?

By this do you have a gun that always stays in your trunk bag, glove compartment, bail out bag or something along those lines. If you do what is it, how do you keep it and why.

I am asking because I would like to do this, keep a car gun, but I am apprehensive about leaving a firearm in my car even though it has never been broken in to.

John Wayne
Old April 8, 2013, 08:28 PM   #2
steveNChunter

I have a Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra-Compact that stays in the lower storage compartment of the center console in my truck when I'm not using it as my CCW. I try not to leave it in there in the heat of the summer, and I clean and oil it often.

I have considered getting a Hi-Point .45 just to leave in the truck, but havent yet. I definitely wouldn't want to designate an expensive gun to staying in the truck or a bag all the time.

I also have a gun that is assigned to the nightstand drawer beside my bed most of the time (when its not with me in the woods or at the range). Its a Ruger Blackhawk stainless 6" .357.
Old April 8, 2013, 08:33 PM   #3
lamarw

I say don't do it.

Lets forget the value of the firearm. Lets think of the damage that can be done by a bad person with any firearm.

We are supposed to promote firearm safety and not condone it by leaving it in such an unsecure place. Car theft is one thing but then car theft with a gun on board.

A thief already has no morality. Just think what he or she will do with a firearm.

I once lived in NJ and had my truck broken into just for chump change. Then the bad person put my truck in neutral and pushed it down hill into my garage door.

Last edited by lamarw; April 8, 2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old April 8, 2013, 08:38 PM   #4
pete2

I keep one in my vehicle unless I put it in my pocket when I get out. It could be stolen out of a car or out of your house for that matter. Chance you take.
Old April 8, 2013, 08:39 PM   #5
Skadoosh

Quote:
I would like to do this, keep a car gun, but I am apprehensive about leaving a firearm in my car even though it has never been broken in to.
I personally wont leave my gun in my car...locked or not. A locked car can still be stolen...gun and all. Would I be held liable or charged with neglience? I'm not willing to find out.

You may find this thread on THR to be helpful:
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i....html&amp&

Here are a couple of threads right here on TFL about car gun safes:
http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...t=car+gun+safe

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...playboypenguin

Last edited by Skadoosh; April 8, 2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old April 8, 2013, 08:44 PM   #6
gman3

I agree with don't do it. You are responsible for the security of the weapon. I see reports of thefts of firearms from vehicles several times every week. It happens all the time. The bottom line is...if you are going to need a handgun, you need to have it on your person, if not in your home. And even in your home the most secure place that it can be, if not in a locked safe, is on your person.
Old April 8, 2013, 09:44 PM   #7
Misssissippi Dave

I don't like leaving a gun in my vehicle even when I get out at the gas station to grab something quick to drink in the summer heat on the way to the range. On those trips the only loaded gun is the one I'm carrying. I prefer to have every advantage I can get when things start going wrong. A loaded gun of mine where someone else can get to it first is a loosing proposition in my opinion. It is rare, but occasionally, I have been forced to leave my gun in my vehicle to enter an establishment with a no gun sign posted. I try to avoid that as well. I just can't see any advantage to having a vehicle gun.
Old April 8, 2013, 10:14 PM   #8
Noreaster

Firearm thefts from vehicles are up in my area. Do you drive a pickup or SUV with numerous pro gun stickers on it? If yes then maybe you shouldn't store a firearm in your vehicle. Do you live in the inner city and park in a public garage or are you suburban and a private lot or even better country?

First and foremost you need to comply with State laws but I believe you can safely store a firearm in your vehicle. Get a mount or safe or a cable and a lock and secure it, unloaded. You can keep a mag or speed loader or ammunition in the glove box, map pocket or where ever. If you need a gun the best place is loaded and on your hip, next is an ankle holster, after that is in the vehicle, but all of these are better than at home in the safe.
Old April 8, 2013, 11:01 PM   #9

No, I do however have a Factory Phil in 9mm
Old April 8, 2013, 11:40 PM   #10
HKFan9

I keep either a cheap revolver or I had a cheap S&W 5904 I used to keep in my car because I only spent $200 on them.

I understand if you live near a city and car break in are common, but where I live and work I almost never hear of any. Like someone else stated, it can be just as easily stolen from your home. Most homes are very insecure and are left vacant almost all day, pretty easy target.

Most locks on generic lock boxes you'd leave in your car, or the locks on 95% of homes are also very easy to pick with a simple tension wrench and S rake, or a even a short S hook (my other hobby when its too cold to go shooting for long periods is lock picking).

However even still, the first thing you learn in lock picking is generally it is for the enthusiast, since the weaker part to break into is generally always what the lock is connected to. I know I can get into most homes with a common credit card, or better yet the $10 lock pickers tool they sell to do it, AKA a flat piece of sheet metal with a handle.

Point I am trying to make... guns can always be stolen, you just need to be smart about how you secure them, and INSURE THEM. I do have a Nano Vault bolted through the floor of my car in the back seat under a floor mat where it is completely unnoticeable, also has the cable lock through it connected to the seat anchor. Can I take a pretty heavy set of Dykes and cut the cable sure, can I take 2 - 3 mins to pick the lock, sure, however your common smash and grab thief generally is not going to waste that kind of time.
Old April 9, 2013, 01:05 AM   #11
Gaerek

Not going to keep a gun in the car. It's just a bad idea for a variety of reasons already mentioned in this thread.

I have a gun on me, pretty much all the time, with the exception of times where it would be illegal for me to. In those instances where I must, (as in, I don't really have a choice for some reason....if I have a choice, I just won't go) go somewhere that says I can't have a gun, I leave it, holstered, in a safe in the car, and put it back on when I get back to the car.

As for a BOB gun...same line of thinking. The only time I won't have a gun on me is when I'm sleeping. I can spare the 20 seconds getting the gun on if I need to bail. If I can't even spare that, then there's likely other things I need to worry about.
Old April 9, 2013, 01:41 AM   #12
Mello2u

I was unable to find satisfactory statistics on the number of residential burglaries versus vehicle thefts and vehicle break-ins.

I think is is something like this:
Residential burglaries (1,400,000, FBI 2011) compared to a combined 2,500,000 vehicle thefts (715,000, FBI 2011) and vehicle break-ins (1,850,000 insurance industry). If accurate, then if you leave a gun in your car it is more likely to be stolen from a car than a home.

These numbers do not account for homes or vehicles which are burglarized, have guns present but guns are not stolen due to good safes.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old April 9, 2013, 01:53 AM   #13
RBid

One more vote for, "Don't leave a gun in the car".

Shifting gears to strategy for preparing for disaster:

Carry on body, and carry a spare magazine. If disaster strikes, you won't need to go farther than your belt to find your defensive tool.

My bag is for water, food, first aid kit, poncho, lighter, waterproof matches, etc.
Old April 9, 2013, 02:33 AM   #14
redhologram

Quote:
One more vote for, "Don't leave a gun in the car".

Shifting gears to strategy for preparing for disaster:

Carry on body, and carry a spare magazine. If disaster strikes, you won't need to go farther than your belt to find your defensive tool.

My bag is for water, food, first aid kit, poncho, lighter, waterproof matches, etc._
This right here. Got a couple more/different items in the bag but same concept.
Old April 9, 2013, 03:13 AM   #15
NWPilgrim

Does anyone keep a BOB gun?

I have a G23 and mags in my BOB as well as the G27 and mag I carry. I don't take the BOB around town so it is not left in the vehicle in public places. I take it on longer drives and then I am driving to a destination where the BOB will be going inside with me.

It does stay in the vehicle if I make a stop along the way. But I prefer to have backup with me in extended travel than worry about the minuscule risk posed during brief stops and within my sight. It is a BOB gun as the OP asked about, not a vehicle gun.
Old April 9, 2013, 07:38 AM   #16
Buckdown

Bad Choice.A hand gun is of no use unless its on your person.Now a rifle or shotgun on your truck rack seems to be All American
Old April 9, 2013, 07:47 AM   #17
FAS1

I personally don't like to leave a gun in my vehicle for extended times like over night. There are some handgun safes that when bolted down provide a reasonable amount of security. This is from a guy that needed to leave his CCW in his car during work hours and didn't trust the small cabled 18-21ga units that are so popular to leave under your seat. He chose to mount this in the trunk of his Mustang.

If you click on the photos, it shows what hardware he used from McMaster- Carr.

2007 Mustang Install
Old April 9, 2013, 02:20 PM   #18
steveNChunter

I believe a handgun hidden under the seat or in the console or better yet a lockable glove box is a whole lot better idea than a shotgun or carbine rifle hanging in the back glass for all the world to see.

By the way I like that handgun safe in the trunk idea
Old April 9, 2013, 10:52 PM   #19
wild cat mccane

had a gun stolen out of my convertible.

another point not mentioned yet; you just armed a simple burglar when you go to check on why your alarm went off.
Old April 9, 2013, 11:07 PM   #20
HKFan9

well honestly I don't think Id leave much in a convertible let alone a gun. Not that cars are all that hard to break into, however convertibles I would imagine are targeted more so. Had a buddy in VA get his soft top jeep broken into.
Old April 10, 2013, 09:46 PM   #21
superspirit

I dont leave one in a vehicle, I keep it on my side, except when prohibited by law. I do carry one in a bag for long trips but it is for the wife to grab while I am using the one on my side. so far, thank the good lord up above, I have never had to use either one.
Old April 10, 2013, 10:21 PM   #22
L_Killkenny

Not gonna touch to much on the gun in the car thing cept to say not everybody has a CC permit, still others can't carry in a lot of places they frequent in a day. A gun in the car isn't great but it's better than a gun at home if you need it.

I don't have a BOB but I do have an EDC backpack that goes with me everywhere. It doesn't have a dedicated gun but just about any of my guns may find there way into it on a given day. Anything from .22's to .357's. It's not brain science and about any reliable gun is better than nothing. Pick one.......
Old April 10, 2013, 10:41 PM   #23
9mm

I wouldnt recommend a handgun, but a single shot rifle or shotgun is the best choice. Criminals can't conceal shotguns/rifles.
Old April 11, 2013, 01:51 AM   #24
okiewita40

9mm don't bet on that. I watched a training video a few years back for work. Had a teenager wearing a tank top and typical baggy pants.The kid pulled out an arsenal of multiple knives, pistol's, revolvers and even a 12ga shotgun with a full stock and a 18" barrel.
Old April 11, 2013, 05:04 AM   #25
rebs

I do not leave a gun in my truck or car. Too much chance of it getting stolen. I keep it on me at all times when I am away from home. If I know I have to go to a place where guns are not allowed then I leave it home in the gun safe.