The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 17, 2011, 09:07 AM   #1
KC Rob

Riding an ATV to your stand

I am hunting on a new lease this year, I am the new guy, the others have hunted here the last 3-4 years and have had success. I put up a stand this past weekend with the help of a buddy, who is also on the lease, and it looks like a really good spot, I am very excited to hunt it. The problem is it is a loooong way from camp up a pretty steep trail. We packed my stand (2 man ladder) in on ATV's to set it up. My buddy suggested I ride my ATV up to my stand when season starts since it is such a long hike. I am not sure about this, but frankly, I don't see anyway around it. He suggested I park it back down the trail aways and walk the rest of the way to my stand if I am worried about spooking the deer, but I think that might be just as bad as parking it right under my tree since any deer coming down the trail towards my stand would encounter my ATV. Any thoughts or suggestions about this?
Old October 17, 2011, 09:10 AM   #2
JustinNC

I had a stand that I used to ride to, against my will really, because my dad rode with me and refused to walk that far and I dropped him off at his stand about 200 yards before the stand I hunted.

Killed 2 deer out of it, saw several. Ironically, killed the largest buck Ive taken less than 25 yards from the ATV, but he had his mind on other things that often get us guys in trouble.

That said, I'd walk if at all possible. The walk to most stands generally isn't too terrible, especially if it's ATV accessable. If I shot a deer, Id walk out and get the ATV and come back for the deer.
Old October 17, 2011, 09:32 AM   #3
sc outdoorsman

We have a few stands that are around a half mile from the paved road. If I am by myself I generally walk in to the stand and get the deer cart or four wheeler to haul deer out. My dad rides to about 150 yards of stand and walks the rest of the way. He parks it around a bend out of the sightline of the stand. We have killed deer both ways so I don't think one is better than the other.
We used to have an old electric golf cart we rigged up for hunting. We have gotten to within 40 or 50 yards of deer with it because it was so quiet.
The golf cart finally rusted beyond repair around the batteries and we ended up with the four wheeler.
Old October 17, 2011, 10:38 AM   #4
Logs

I park my Kawasaki Mule about 10 yards from my box blind and have never had a problem with spooking deer.
Old October 17, 2011, 09:24 PM   #5
603Country

My observations suggest that the big bucks recognize the ATV sounds. I used to get in the stands well before the lazy family members, and I'd walk the last half mile or so to get to the stand. I've watched bucks react when they heard the ATV's coming. They seemed to connect the sound with danger. And, there was one instance where I rode the ATV all the way to the woods and pushed it into some weeds to hide it. From where I sat on the ground, I could see the back of my ATV, but I knew that a buck wouldn't be able to see it from the other side. Well, as luck had it, a very nice 8 point came slinking from behind me, between me and the ATV, and cautiously moved into the right-of-way. He had the same view of the back of my ATV that I did and when he saw it he absolutely leaped across the right-of-way and got into some cover and started observing the ATV. Happily for me, he was so busy observing that he didn't look behind him. He might not have known it was a Honda, but he knew it meant that he was in danger. Now, if I'm doe hunting, I don't worry about ATV noises, but if I'm after the big buck I take all precautions possible on noise and odor. Still, all that becomes less important when the rut gets going good. Maybe if the distance is too much for walking, ride the ATV part of the way and then hike in from there.
Old October 17, 2011, 09:59 PM   #6
kep150

Where are you hunting?

Rifle hunting or bow?
Old October 17, 2011, 10:10 PM   #7
JerryM

I am almost persuaded that no one today, at least under age of 45, knows how to hunt.
Ride an ATV to the stand, sit in the stand, shoot a deer. Then carry him out on the ATV. That is not hunting, but just shooting without much effort or skill.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old October 17, 2011, 10:58 PM   #8
warbirdlover

We have six guys on 120 acres. The farthest stand is a LONG walk. It's mostly through oak woods on rolling hills along a logging trail. We go in together in a group and drop off as we go by the stands, sit all day and go out in a group the same way. No one walks around during the day. We SIT on our stands. The deer go about their business normally since we do not roam around. No one is allowed to drive around with an ATV to their stand.

And between the six of us we take at least two real wall hangers off that land every year. This one was taken off my stand the year before I got on this lease.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GarysDeer2.jpg (177.6 KB, 229 views)

Last edited by warbirdlover; October 17, 2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old October 17, 2011, 11:07 PM   #9
SHNOMIDO

back in my day we STRANGLED DEER and we put them on our backs and ARMY CRAWLED all the way home and we took THE LONG WAY.

i find most people start with the easiest way they can bag a deer, and eventually get bored and end up bow hunting or using black powder for the challenge.

Im not saying this from an elitest point of view, quite the opposite. Ive havent yet had the opportunity hunt, and im quite ignorant about it. But dont think you should judge people because they use ATVs and stands.
Old October 18, 2011, 06:29 AM   #10
Saltydog235

Deer get use to hearing and smelling things and won't pay those sounds and smells a bit of attention. If the deer on your lease are use to hearing ATV's during the day and in the mornings, they aren't going to pay any heed to it. Heck I sat in a stand one time reeking of diesel fuel on a timber tract and had 8 walk right under my stand, they were use to the smell from all the equipment around.

Of course, walking is healthier and if you're like me, getting a bit of exercise is never a bad thing after being cooped up in the office all week.
Old October 18, 2011, 06:49 AM   #11
Logs

Walking a mile to your stand in the dark with no flash light and only packing a Rambo Knife doesn't make someone a better hunter.

Heck the Indians sometimes hunted off Horses and road up next to Bison with a Rifle did that make them less of a hunter????

One still has to sit still, have good shot placement and not spook deer while making said shot. One also has to buy / lease or beg to find land to hunt on which is a big challenge today.

If you are a legal deer hunter and enjoying time in the woods who cares if you are using an ATV, Muzzleloader, Crossbow, long bow or Rifle. Go out have fun and eat the meat. My $.02
Old October 18, 2011, 08:48 AM   #12
Rifleman1776

Often concessions must be made for age and health.
The most common cause of deaths for hunters is cardiac arrest.
At age 73 I can hike in just fine. But hiking out can be a chore as it is always uphill out. Dragging a dead deer could easily be fatal.
I understand deer only have about a 30min. memory. Drive the ATV in to within about 100 yards of the stand and the woods will return to normal in a short while.
Do be aware of prohibitive rules in National Forests. The Feds. don't like them at all.
Old October 18, 2011, 09:26 AM   #13
warbirdlover

I guess I should be more clear. We have those rules on our land (no ATV's) because none of us (currently) are unable to walk in. In the past when someone has a problem the others would help him haul his "stuff". Someday, I'm sure, one or more of us is going to need another way to get to the stand and it might be an ATV. Maybe a "sedgeway"?
Old October 18, 2011, 09:44 AM   #14
graysmoke

ATV's and some folk complain?......In Florida we have those HUGE Swamp Buggies with platforms and some with half-track, tearing through the grounds.

God-for-bid if you should be walking in high brush, or sitting in a ground blind, and one of those monsters come ploww'in from the blindside.

There was one time I was in my tree stand, with my cross-hairs on this buck. And lord-in-behold, the roar'in sound of this swamp buggy in the distant spooked my buck too run-off.....TALK ABOUT BAD TIMEING!!!!
Old October 18, 2011, 12:23 PM   #15
Wyoredman

What's a stand?
Old October 18, 2011, 12:35 PM   #16
rickyrick

some of the large ranches have stands built on the back of Blazers and Broncos and people just drive up to the deer and shoot them.

I have done work at some high fence places and the deer and other game just stand there and watch you drive by.

but i guess it depends on if they are exposed to the traffic as normal activity as the others have suggested.
Old October 18, 2011, 04:06 PM   #17
BUFF

I've shot hogs and deer at 50yrds while sitting on an ATV. I've driven up close to them in my truck, got out with them watching me and shot them. My feeder is about 100yrds from my dinner table and I've sat there eating while my toddler was causing a ruckus. They just stand there watching us and eat their corn. I drove with 25yrds of some today that were in a field grazing as I slowly drove by and counted them. Unless you are plowing trees over and running wide open to your stand, I don't think they give atv's much thought. Harvesting animals is the intent. Whether that is driving to your stand or hiking 12 miles up hill both ways, get out and go and have a good time.
Old October 18, 2011, 04:49 PM   #18
Wyoredman

What's a feeder?
Old October 18, 2011, 04:51 PM   #19
rickyrick

feeder are those things caught in the game camera, in which the raccoons and pigs are violating.
Old October 18, 2011, 05:00 PM   #20
rk11

I used to hunt in a river bottom where we rode our 4 wheelers about a mile and then got in a boat and went up river to our stands. Everytime we came out we would see fresh deer tracks in the 4 wheeler tracks where we came in. One of the guys in our group started staying back and hunting off of the trail. He parked his ride on the trail and then walked about 50 yards into the woods and climbed up. He had very good success.
Old October 18, 2011, 05:12 PM   #21
ZeroJunk

All and all I have been more surprised by how little deer pay attention to such things than how much.

Now, an old buck may be a different story.
Old October 18, 2011, 05:57 PM   #22
oneounceload

Quote:
What's a stand?
That's where East Coast practice the art of "deer waiting"

They are actually allowed to plant and bait deer to come close so they do not have to walk more than a few yards

Hiking in for a few miles to get to your spike camp from whence you will hike even more up and down high canyons in PURSUIT (aka HUNTING) is not applicable in the East

HTH explaining it to you
Old October 18, 2011, 07:05 PM   #23
KC Rob

Quote:
I am almost persuaded that no one today, at least under age of 45, knows how to hunt.
Ride an ATV to the stand, sit in the stand, shoot a deer. Then carry him out on the ATV. That is not hunting, but just shooting without much effort or skill.

Jerry
I am almost persuaded that no one today, at least on the internet, has any manners. I am sure that you stalk around in a loin cloth and moccasins and take all your deer with an atlatl, so this discussion is not for you.

Somebody asked where I am hunting and what I am using. I will be hunting Western MO along the Missouri river and I will be hunting rifle and muzzle loader seasons. I didn't get a chance to get my tuned for this year, so archery will have to wait until next season.

It is 100 Acres, 4 guys on the lease, but sometimes guests or children are brought along so as many as 6 people will be hunting at any time. My stand is set up along a power line easement and there is a public road and a very busy railroad track bordering the property. Over the years some industrial equipment has been dumped on the property, there is a Bobcat, a Bulldozer, several trailers and cars scattered about. I have a feeling that the Deer may not be too spooked by noise or vehicles. I have no problem hiking to a stand, my only concern was that there is a significant uphill climb. I really don't want to have to sit in my stand all sweaty from exertion hiking to my stand, but I also have never ridden an ATV to my stand before so I was just looking for some experience from others as to the impact this might have.
Old October 18, 2011, 08:16 PM   #24
tws92E05

The guy that got me into bow hunting 25 years ago was a Vietnam vet that had been shot and paralyzed from the waist down. We couldn't bait so you had to scout and learn where the deer were traveling. We would set his battery powered stand which would go up a rail system about 12 or 15 foot up where he could get to it. He would ride his ATV up to the stand and get in and cover his ATV with a camo net and up the stand he would go. He always got a couple deer every year.
Old October 18, 2011, 08:19 PM   #25
Wyoredman

Thanks oneounceload, I had no idea! Hmm, I need to think about that one.