The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 9, 2011, 03:12 PM   #1
JJewell

Win Model 52 Barrel Band

Hi All

I have a Model 52 Winchester target rifle that I recently purchased. The rifle had the barrel band removed. I installed a 20X Fecker scope and the rifle shoots dead on - 1 MOA at 100 yards or less. I am looking for advice regarding whether to add the missing barrel band and/ or to merely float the barrel.

Jim
Old March 9, 2011, 09:46 PM   #2
PetahW

I'd shoot it quite a bit more, before I made any major decisions like that, about it.

YMMV, of course............................

Old March 10, 2011, 10:01 AM   #3
triggerman770

barrel band

it was made with the band and will probably shoot better with it. 1" group is big for a 52
www.georgiacarry.org
Old March 11, 2011, 12:31 PM   #4
JJewell

Thank You

I suspected that it would benefit from original equipment however I see so many with the band removed and I understand that free floating the barrel with a pillar bed helps. It does on every other rifle (bolt action) that I own.
Old March 17, 2011, 04:52 AM   #5
Bart B.

Winchester put barrel bands on their early rimfire match rifles just like Springfield M1903 30 caliber target rifles had. They thought that was the way it was supposed to be made. 'Twas finally stopped on their later Model 52's and they shot much better that way.

Over the years, top competitive shooters learned that nothing should touch the barrel except the receiver; no bands, tuning screws, shims, worms or anything else between the barrel and fore end. The reason is that when a sling's attached, using it in position tends to bend the fore end a tiny bit changing its pressure on the barrel. That makes the barrel vibrate/whip different for each shot 'cause nobody holds a rifle with the same forces and position for each shot. So, make sure the barrel's free floating.

The receiver doesn't need to be pillar bedded; conventional bedding is just fine. Anschutz rimfire match rifles came without bedding; just bare metal to wood around the receiver. Torquing the stock screws to somewhere between 20 and 30 inch pounds is about right. Pillar bedding came about because the first synthetic stocs had cores in the receiver area too soft to withstand stock screw torque at this level and higher. Wood stocks never had this problem. The most accurate rifles I know of have all been conventional epoxy bedding; no pillars needed.

Tags
barrel barrel , win 52