The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 8, 2009, 10:34 AM   #1
Texas Rifleman

Springfield Model 511 12 ga. - What do you know?

I've never heard of this shotgun. Someone is offering it to me wrapped in camo tape for $150 cash in working order. I was looking for a project gun. Do you know anything about these?
Old January 8, 2009, 02:31 PM   #2
BigJimP

I don't know hardly anything about them - except I seem to remember that most of them had markings on them that they were made by Savage or Stevens / but I don't how many different models of guns were made under the Springfield name / or which company specifically made the model 511's.

I'm not sure what you mean by a project gun / or what you want to do to it. Its probably chambered in 2 3/4" . I don't know if you'll have any luck finding parts for those guns or not. Seller is telling you it is in working condition and that's kind of relative ... / it could mean he was using it as a boat paddle - but it still fires.... so it might not be worth $ 150.

I like tinkering with shotguns - but I see a lot of abused guns ( even expensive ones ) - and while I'm always looking for a deal, personally I would stay with guns and models that I was real familiar with. In my case that's Browning Pumps and Over Unders - and I don't stray too far from my comfort zone.
Old January 8, 2009, 02:38 PM   #3
Texas Rifleman

Yeah...

I told the man I'd pass. I haven't seen that particular gun yet and there is almost no information on them which means parts are probably hard to find.
Old January 8, 2009, 02:41 PM   #4
BigJimP

I think you're being smart.

What kind of a " project " are you trying to find / what do you want a shotgun to do for you ? Are you looking to fix up something for a kid - or what's on your mind ?
Old January 8, 2009, 02:44 PM   #5
Texas Rifleman

I like guns...

I'm just looking for ANYTHING to tinker with. I have a little of everything but I'm always looking for a firearm to work on. Something cheap that needs fixin'. I like to make something that looks horrible into something beautiful.
Old January 8, 2009, 03:09 PM   #6
BigJimP

I understand.

I see a lot of shotguns at the gun shows/pawn shops that would fit that category / and the bigger the name, the easier they are to sell once you clean them up. I think its pretty hard to sell these off brand guns / Springfield or whatever ...

If you can do some simple gunsmithing and you're into woodworking - I'm seeing a lot of older pump and O/U's out there that are all beat up. I wouldn't recommend buying anything other than a gun that has screw in chokes - but if you take a good solid gun like an 870 Wingmaster / Browning BPS pumps - or even an older Browning Citori lightning model field O/U - take them apart, fix anything that is worn or looks bad / then really spruce up the wood - they're all prettty easy to sell if you keep the pump guns around $ 400 / the O/U's around $1,000. The reason I would stay with the guns that already have the screw in chokes - is it makes a good gift for a kid or somebody - as a gun that can do anything ( hunting, a little skeet, trap, sporting clays, etc ). Package the gun with a few chokes / have an inventory of chokes - so the buyer can add a few more ... If you stay with one or two mfg's - you keep your spare parts and choke tubes to a minimum ...

Getting that shiny Browning stock look - is not easy at home / takes a few extra steps to polish the finish / lay a few deep coats of finish on the wood ... but there is a pretty good product sold by Brownells called Pro Custom Oil Gun Stock finish - its a Tung Oil and Urethane mix that dries really hard and builds up nice. It isn't something you can do at the kitchen table in a few minutes - its takes some time and effort / about 4 coats to really get it nice / 6 or 7 days total - but its worth the effort.
Old January 8, 2009, 03:27 PM   #7
Lee Lapin

TR,

It's an American made boxlock SXS in the same family with the Fox Model B, Sears 400, 101.7, 5100, Stevens 530, 311, 511, 5100, etc. in various grades with fancier or lesser wood, some walnut, some birch, some Tenite (an early plastic that tends to get brittle). In other words, the quintessential working man's double barrel for most of the 1900s.

For $150 in good working order I'd grab it... I'd guess a 511 would have walnut furnuture under the tape.

hth,

lpl
Old January 9, 2009, 10:42 PM   #8
Chuckusaret

Neighbor has one, its a side by side and it does what it was designed to do. Hey, if its in good shape you can't beat the price. Lee Lapin is correct, this one has nice wood but some had plastic furniture
Old January 10, 2009, 12:09 AM   #9
troy_mclure

ive got one thats sawed off to 18.5".
its a good shooter.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."