The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 16, 2017, 11:55 AM   #26
rodwhaincamo

Ah, yes. The .257 Roberts is another good light recoiling option.

I've always preferred the higher BC's of the 6.5 and 7 mm's. Really not that important in most hunting applications I suppose unless one hunts the plains and such though. A .30-30 Win would likely do all you'd need as well since most game is taken within 100 yds.
Old October 16, 2017, 12:58 PM   #27
zipspyder

I have a RAR 7mm-08 with a muzzle brake that takes anything from fox to elk.

I'd probably be just as satisfied with a 6.5CM.
Old October 18, 2017, 08:24 PM   #28
Mr. Hill

I've not shot a 6.5, but I sure am interested. So I can't comment on it's recoil.

But I do know that the .243 is a great cartridge for whitetail deer. Recoil is very low, so low that she'll be able to keep the animal within in the scope view immediately after the shot. And a 100 grain .243 is great for deer. The core-lokt will put them down hard with excellent expansion and complete penetration. And the other, more modern bullets will do just as well! Go with the low recoil round and she'll shoot better and enjoy it a lot. JMHO.
Old October 18, 2017, 08:43 PM   #29
Wyosmith

I like both, but for a more versatile gun the 6.5MM beats the 243. I would also point out a fact to consider:

the 6.5CM is a shell designed to fit in the NATO length detachable magazine and still be able to use very long "VLD" bullet without problems in seating length. So if you are not going to buy a gun with a NATO length mag, the 260 Remington or the 6.5 Swede both beat the 6.5 Grendel when loaded to the same pressures and fired from the same barrel length.

No disrespect in intended to the CM, but if you buy a rifle with a magazine long enough to take the longer shell, you'll be as well or better off with the longer shell.
Old October 18, 2017, 10:18 PM   #30
Troy800

Since recoil is a primary consideration i would choose 243. If you reload there are a few other good choices. Tons of 243 ammo on the shelves. Nothing wrong with "bigger" but not needed for whitetails. We all get caught up in the "new and improved" and im no exception but that does not make the old cartrige that has been killing deer for 50 years any less lethal.

I started with a 7mm mag and put it in the closet when i got my 270. I love my 270 but bought a 243 when my daughter started hunting. Now my 270 barely gets dusted off. Between my daughter and I we have shot dozens of deer and only remember one going more than 20 yards (that one was due to poor shot placement and not the bullet). I see no advantage to going with a larger caliber unless the bullet is going to gut it and skin it on the way through. Dont think the deer care either. Keeping in mind the limitation of the bullet we only shoot clean broadside shot, we do not try to quarter a deer through the shoulders or shots we cannot get both lungs. I am a meat hunter and have no problems letting one walk away.

Have her shoot what she is comfortable with and stay within the limitations. Shot placement trumps caliber. My buddy uses a 223 bolt action and has no issues. Shots are less than 150 yards. We also share the same philosophy that we do not shoot unless it is a clean broadside shot.

Larger caliber can be advantageous if you take less than optimal shots and need deep penitration to quarter through to reach vitals. Also benificial if you are a long range hunter and want less wind drift but this is more specialized and best left to experienced shooters.
Old October 19, 2017, 06:20 PM   #31
Ghost1958

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdcrr View Post
with that kind of experience I am obliged to ask: where do you aim?
Probably where most do. Right behind the shoulder about a third of the way up. Unless the shot is a long one then I'll fudge up a bit higher to account for bullet drop.
I always try to wait until the deers front leg is stepped forward too.
Thats just a habit held over from bow hunting more than anything.

Tags
.243 win , 6.5 creedmore