The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 6, 2017, 05:27 AM   #1
rebs

I think I found my best load

In my TC New Englander 50 calo, I found 60 gr of 3f with a Hornady .490 ball and a .015 dry patch moistened with moose milk gives me 3" groups at 50 yds. With my old eyes and open sights I am thinking that is about as good as it gets for me. I need to let a younger guy with good eyes shoot it and see how well it does.
Old October 8, 2017, 07:22 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

Isn't it nice when something all comes together? Sounds like you haver your rifle figured out with a good load! I'm older and my eyesight is not the best anymore. Fact is, 50 yards is about the max I shoot now and I chuckle when I hear about how "good" somebody can shoot at 100 yards. I'm happy for 'em - really - and am not questioning them but for me, at 100 yards the target had better be on the large side or i'd probably have trouble making the sight picture and target all come together to get real tight groups. At 50, I can still do pretty well with open iron sights and am surprised at what I'm able to do with my Uberti 45 SAA Colt clone but I chalk up most of it to "luck". Good going and enjoy that rifle! Some folks get discouraged as they age and can't hit things as well as they used to - but I don't worry about those things as I'm killing paper and and and don't hunt anymore. As long as you can smell the smoke and send lead downrange - its all about ending the shooting! Have fun and enjoy!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 9, 2017, 06:56 AM   #3
rebs

your right, its all about the fun and enjoyment. I love shooting my muzzle loaders and have a great time. I had tried so many different patches, lubes and powder charges and enjoyed it all. Even with my center fire rifles I keep trying different loads til I find what the rifle shoots best. During the winter months I reload in my basement and shoot 22, 38 and 45 cal handguns on our clubs indoor range.