The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 7, 2017, 11:32 PM   #1
Creek Henry

where to buy 870 barrel?

My son is outgrowing the 21.5" barrel on his 870 express youth model. Where can I get a 26" 20 ga for under $150?

Ty,
Old August 8, 2017, 12:04 AM   #2
flyboy015

That's an interesting order. I have a Carlson's brand 28" vent rib for my 12 ga and it's an excellent barrel- probably the best aftermarket for the price. A quick search at MidwayUSA, where I bought it, shows they only sell 12 ga, as does Brownells and Cabela's. Maybe Google Carlson's info, shoot them an email? If they make such a barrel, I'm sure they'd be more than willing to sell one to you. Price wise mine was far cheaper than the Remington alternative
Old August 8, 2017, 08:37 AM   #3
Remington74

You might also try some of the local gun shops. The ones around here often have used take offs in the range of $50 to $100. Most of them are like new and others could use some TLC in the cosmetic area.
Old August 8, 2017, 09:11 AM   #4
Goatwhiskers

Try "Corson's Barrels" on the web. Dunno about prices, but I've bought from him and if he says it's 98% it is. GW
Old August 8, 2017, 11:21 AM   #5
FITASC

Pawn shops, gun shows, gun shops that sell used guns and accessories, Ebay, and a lot of other places. Type what you want into Google.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FACTORY-REMI...4AAOSwVm5Y~9Bv

Google turned this up in .00625 seconds.................
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 8, 2017, 12:58 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Barrel length has nothing to do with Youth models vs big kid models. Slug barrels are 20". Finding a 20 gauge might be an issue though. Either way if the thing says Remington on it, it'll cost more. BNIB barrels start at $180ish at Midway.
However, your local gun shop can order anything you want. How long it'll take depends on if his supplier has one. Remember that everybody and his brother plus all their cousins are getting ready for hunting season right now. So bargains will probably be scarce. Maybe not for 20 gauge though.
Old August 8, 2017, 02:48 PM   #7
FITASC

Where is the OP talking about a slug barrel? He mentions the short barrel his son's youth gun came with and wants a longer one since his son has grown - at least that is what I understood from his post.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 8, 2017, 06:22 PM   #8
50 shooter

Look on gun broker or eBay, you should be able able to find it on either site.
No time for rearranging.
Old August 9, 2017, 06:12 AM   #9
darkgael

Go to Numrich Arms (Gunparts Corp.). They have multiple barrels for the 870. 20 gauge and your barrel length.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...rem-870?page=2
Old August 9, 2017, 06:47 AM   #10
jaguarxk120

Williams Gun Sight Co. has a 26 inch VR Rem Choke barrel.

It is slightly more than you wanted to spend at $175.
Old August 9, 2017, 07:41 AM   #11
FITASC

Guess no one saw the link I provided for exactly what he wanted for $135?............
Old August 9, 2017, 12:42 PM   #12
Virginian

I did, but I don't need it.
Old August 9, 2017, 06:41 PM   #13
Creek Henry

I saw the link. That about 1/2 what I paid for the gun!

I'd like to use my Cabelas points but that seems unlikely
Old August 9, 2017, 07:10 PM   #14
FITASC

Since a barrel is half of the gun, then the price is about right - right?????
Old August 9, 2017, 11:52 PM   #15
flyboy015

"I'd like to use my Cabelas points but that seems unlikely"

FWIW, Cabela's customer support is stellar. Give your nearest store a call. As mentioned by another poster, they might have used barrels in good shape too.

Too bad you're a little late for the Gander Mountain liquidation...my local store had bins and bins of odds and ends, handgun magazines, shotgun barrels and Boyd's stocks, scope mounts, you name it, all 50% off, and then right before they all disappeared for some reason they were marked down to 75% off...
Old August 10, 2017, 07:32 AM   #16
FITASC

And were sent to my store and a few others for further attempts at liquidation....
Old August 10, 2017, 08:09 PM   #17
Creek Henry

I'll give Cab a call then. Also, I can sell the old barrel for a bit too. It's in very good shape
Old August 12, 2017, 07:18 AM   #18
darkgael

Gunparts: 26" 20 gauge 870 = $88.75. 28" 20 gauge for 870 = $88.75. Both LW
Old August 12, 2017, 09:58 AM   #19
wild cat mccane

Buds typically has the best barrel prices online.
Closed Thread