The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 4, 2014, 09:53 PM   #1
paknheat

Ruger SR22 issues.

A friend of my wife brought her SR22 over this afternoon & asked me to clean it for her. Disassembly wasn't any problem, but cleaning the barrel was a big issue. It wasn't too bad dirty, but a .22 cal cleaning rod wouldn't go through the barrel , from either end. Finally got a .204 bore snake to go through it & it kind of cleaned it up a bit . Upon getting a better look inside the barrel, it appears that the bore is a bit bigger in diameter than the chamber . Yet it will chamber a .22 cartridge . It will also not accept a .22 cal bore snake. Any thoughts on what the deal is with this thing. It only had 250- 300 rounds through it.
Old January 4, 2014, 10:14 PM   #2
Fugit1ve Wizard

Maybe just sticking to a conventional bore brush/cotton patch combo will have to suffice
Old January 4, 2014, 10:15 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Something is quite wrong, but I have no idea what it is. Certainly a .22 rod should go through a .22 barrel. If the gun is new, I suggest she return it to the shop where she bought it. If it is used, contact Ruger and they will probably ask you to send it to them on their dime; they have excellent customer service.

Jim
Old January 4, 2014, 11:34 PM   #4
paknheat

Thought about taking it back to Ruger. The factory where it was made is right next door to where I go to school. When looking down the barrel from the muzzle end, it looks like the chamber & the bore were cut backwards. Weird for sure.