The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 19, 2008, 06:38 PM   #1
Incognito

FNG w/ FC .223 Rem Trim Length Question

Hello there - I'm new to The Firing Line (new to posting on a forum for that matter) although I've been soaking-in the knowledge contained herein for some time. I'll try not to bore you with self-explanatory questions.

Here's my question(s). I have A LOT of FC once-fired brass (.223 rem). I'm aware that this is inferior brass (soft), but I refuse to just throw it away, even if it means only using it a couple of times. Mixed in, there is about 1/3 un-crimped and 2/3 crimped. The un-crimped weighs considerably heavier than the crimped stuff. Also the un-crimped measures 1.753 (which I know to be a good length) after re-sizing. The crimped casings measure 1.740 after re-sizing. Is this length (1.740) ok to reload if the OAL is within spec? Or is the neck too short? These rounds are intended for an auto-loading rifle.

And finally, I know it's a lot to ask, are these headstamps the dreaded Federal "American Eagles"?

Last edited by Incognito; May 21, 2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old May 20, 2008, 01:27 AM   #2
rg1

Nice bench and a lot of space to work. It'll look better when you get more addicted and have 2 or 3 presses and maybe a shotshell press spread out along the bench. I've loaded some FC brass rather than throwing once-fired cases away. Just scrap any case that has a loose primer pocket and the primer seats without any felt resistance. You'll find some with very loose pockets even though they are only once-fired. While 1.760" is maximum case length and 1.750" is usually a recommended trim length I generally trim to 1.760" because it puts the crimp groove exactly where I want it at the case mouth with some of the bullets I shoot. The 1.740" cases are ok to load and shoot at that length. Having two different length cases will only make it impossible to get a uniform crimp unless you separate the two lengths and adjust your crimp die accordingly. I'm not real familiar with FC case types but just check your cases for crimped in primers. The case at the top right looks to have a primer crimp while the other 3 don't. You'll have to swage or cut any crimps before priming. I've been given some lots of FC brass from friends and have found so many loose pockets that I got frustrated and scrapped the whole bunch, while some other FC brass lots were ok.
Old May 20, 2008, 11:08 AM   #3
Incognito

Much appreciated. I will follow with your advice and just sort according to length. So far the Lyman primer pocket reamer works good on removing primer crimps.
There’s plenty of data indicating maximum trim length, but none that I’ve found on minimum trim length. The reason I’m hung up on this is because the other types of brass (WCC, LC, WIN, IMI) generally are long enough to have to trim after resizing. The FC is .010” shorter than these other brands even after resizing and without trimming (odd). Perhaps I too just have to get sufficiently frustrated wit FC to end up recycling it (e-bay?).

Last edited by Incognito; May 20, 2008 at 11:38 PM.