The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 22, 2005, 02:58 PM   #1
john55555

Two Qik Questions, Please

I've been told that "Mother's Chrome Polish" is good for stainless steel. Thinking of spiffing up my S&W model 65...has anyone used this..any good?

And, after 15 years of firing my S&W model 65 with a trigger job that brought the pull to around 2lbs (no misfires, truely great) I'm having a hard time adapting to the 4 - 6lbs on my KAHR P9. I'm told there's NO WAY to change the pull on a semi-auto because of the "striker." True?

Thanks,

John
Old December 22, 2005, 03:25 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

By all accounts, Mother's works very well, but so does any good metal polish.

Take note, that polishing like this will shine the gun up, but it WON'T do a true mirror-bright finish like bright nickel or factory polished stainless.
The metal polishes cannot polish out the small scratches and "grain" marks left by factory satin polishing.

It WILL give the gun a bright shine, but this shiny finish will also show scratches and normal handling and use marks worse.

Auto pistols are designed to operate with specific strength springs.
Anytime you replace a spring, you run the risk of ignition problems.

In the Kahr, there are two springs that govern weight of pull: the striker spring and the trigger return spring.

Tampering with either very often causes problems.

One way around this is to either buy a gun that's factory equipped with, or buy a post-factory conversion kit of, the "Elite" trigger assembly.
The Kahr factory Elite trigger offers a shorter, lighter pull.

If you already own the gun, I strongly suggest sending it in to Kahr to have the trigger assembly installed. The Kahr is a deceptively simple looking action, but the trigger assembly can be a real PITA to reassemble.

Bottom line, even with the Elite unit, it's just not possible to get a super light trigger with the Kahr, or any other similar gun.

The best "fix" is to just practice until you develop the "feel" of the Kahr.
Old December 22, 2005, 04:44 PM   #3
john55555

Dfariswheel

Many thanks for the information! I won't expect "brand new" with the polish! And I guess practice is always the best solution..especially in the case of firearms.

Again, I appreciate the post!

John
Old December 23, 2005, 02:34 AM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...there's NO WAY..." Rubbish. Polish the mating sear, hammer and trigger parts and change the springs.
Jewller's rouge on a cloth buffing wheel will polish SS.