The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 21, 2022, 08:23 AM   #26
Jim Watson

As the one competitor said, whatever free sample came in the last match goodie bag.
I haven't paid for a lubricant in this century between samples and motor oil residue.
Old March 21, 2022, 08:55 AM   #27
TunnelRat

I’ve used a number of products over the years, but I’ve been using Slip 2000 for probably the past 4-5 years. I find it stays on the firearm longer than Breakfree CLP and the fact that it is nontoxic is a big plus for me, especially as my work shop isn’t ventilated as well as I might like and I don’t always want to put on gloves.

I know some people have mentioned costs of some of these products, and I think that’s fair to point out. However, the cost of a bottle of lubricant/oil isn’t even a rounding error relative to my ammunition budget, especially with current prices. A little bottle can last a long time. As the expression once went, a little dab will do ya.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 21, 2022, 09:11 AM   #28
Bentonville

Eezox is a great metal protector and lubricant. Be aware that it is very a toxic carcinogen. Read the labels and look up the ingredients . Gloves and ventilation are necessary.
Old March 21, 2022, 10:15 AM   #29
stinkeypete

"best" "gun oil" depends on what the lubricant is used for.

For example, if (like me) you might be out hunting with an exposed pistol in the winter and temperatures are hovering around 0 degrees F (-18 c) then I think Breakfree CLP is my choice because it can handle the extreme low temperature in trigger and action assemblies.

That said, for something like 1911 slide lubrication, I chose Shooter's Choice silicone grease.. the pink goopy stuff, because I want the viscosity.

I just started using Clenzoil for a general surface spray... from what I gather from Youtube (the gold standard of scientific research), it's very good at rust inhibition. It smells rather like 'hospital clean' though; I am not sure about that smell but it's not terrible. Just... different. I like that the stuff is economical comes in a big pump bottle.

For cleaning stuff I have come to really like Hornady One-Shot. This stuff is a game changer for cleaning out little fiddly areas with the precision aerosol tube. Per ounce, it's expensive. Per job, it's cheap.

For scrubbing out shotgun and light rifle bore cleaning, I still like Hoppe's No.9. It works and it smells like .. after hunting with my Dad. Still, for long term storage once clean, I'm shooting a little Clenzoil down the big pipes.

I have Breakfree and 3-in-1 oil and wd-40 and Mobil 1 and soybean based machine tool oil and all these lubricants have a purpose that they are probably best for in some application.

Ed's Red is probably as good or better than Hoppe's, but sometimes the storage and application convenience is more important than being absolutely the best. After all, my Grandfather used nothing but Hoppe's and Singer sewing machine oil on his deer rifle and 80 years later it's still in beautiful condition in my gun safe.

When shooting black powder, the best lubricant is probably bear fat, but BoreButter smells better. It's all about the job at hand. In case you don't know, petroleum based products in black powder guns create a huge gummy mess while natural fats clean up easy in hot water. No mountain man would ever use petroleum based stuff on his smoke-pole. For smokeless powder guns, just about anything sold for the purpose is better than bear grease.

See what I am saying?
Old March 21, 2022, 10:26 AM   #30
Nick_C_S

It never ceases to amaze me how many gun lubricant products are out there. Many claim to be superior over all others. Okay.

I suspect saliva would do in a pinch.

For me, I use Browning's gun oil. Supposedly, it's what the U.S. Army uses for their machine guns. I don't know if that's true or not, but I've been using it for about 30 years and seems to do everything I need it to do. My mother was a seamstress for decades and so I'm familiar with sewing machine oil. The two products seem very similar.

At any rate, this is a subject I gave little thought to; and, haven't at all for decades. Browning's gun oil works.
Old March 21, 2022, 12:27 PM   #31
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Basically, some oil is better than no oil.

I use either Gun Butter, or Mobil-1 15W-50 with some ultra-fine moly powder mixed into it.
Jeepaholic
Old March 21, 2022, 12:58 PM   #32
chadio

FITASC - excellent read!!!
Old March 21, 2022, 01:35 PM   #33
TailGator

Weapon Shield has been mentioned a couple of times already. I stopped shopping around once I tried it. It seems to me that my pistols are even a little easier to clean when I use it, like it keeps stuff from sticking.
Old March 21, 2022, 01:37 PM   #34
Erno86

For the grease points on my 1911's: I use Super Lube a multi-purpose synthetic grease.

For the rest...A semi-synthetic motor oil

--- George Orwell
Old March 21, 2022, 09:12 PM   #35
Ukrainitz

Internal parts is mobile1. Then hit with Balistol on all the exterior. Done
Old March 22, 2022, 12:19 AM   #36
Crankylove

“3-N-1/Sewing Machine Oil”

Forget the brand. Comes in a mostly white bottle, with some black and red graphics/lettering. Im in bed, and I’m too lazy to actually go look right now.

Been using it for about 30 years now.

Will also use the Hoppes/Remoil/whatever brand name oil comes to me as gifts, the the 3-N-1 is what I buy.
Old March 22, 2022, 01:18 AM   #37
rickyrick

I just started using 3 n 1 oil, was in the boonies and that’s all the local store had.
There’s no need for anything expensive, fancy or boutique.
It’s not really rocket science.
If you can wear out a gun using something low cost, then you have a gun made out of crap materials or you’ve shot it so much that you can afford a new gun.
Old March 22, 2022, 02:45 AM   #38
zeke

Mobile 1.
Old March 22, 2022, 06:35 AM   #39
cnj

TriFlow.
Old March 22, 2022, 08:27 AM   #40
AirForceShooter

What he Said

AFS
Old March 22, 2022, 09:06 AM   #41
FITASC

Quote:
FITASC - excellent read!!!
I think that guy did as honest and scientific test as could be done by an individual
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old March 22, 2022, 02:36 PM   #42
chrisintexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmodragoon View Post
Lubriplate FMO 350-AW. Grant Cunningham popularized this oil in his now famous article on lubrication:

https://www.grantcunningham.com/2006/05/lubrication-101

I tried it out after reading the article several years ago. It's what I've been using ever since. I also use it in modern folding knife actions and on other EDC gear. It really is excellent.

When this article first was out, the grease and oil mentioned were not regularly available in convenient sizes. Lubrikit answered that call and started providing it, along with other products. That's where I've purchased mine. It is very competitively priced and a single container can last for a very long time. The only other thing I'd recommend is to get a needle-tip bottle from Amazon or the local hobby shop. I've found that very helpful for application.

https://lubrikit.com/store
Lubrikit.com Site is untrusted and phone number listed is -123456789!
Old March 22, 2022, 03:52 PM   #43
kilotanker22

I have been using G96 for a few years now for all my guns. It protects from rust quite well. I have had no issues with it. I also use it to lubricate my reloading press.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old March 23, 2022, 02:48 AM   #44
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisintexas View Post
Lubrikit.com Site is untrusted and phone number listed is -123456789!
That is strange. It loads just fine in my browser.

I see that the phone number has been changed to 123456789. I wonder if someone did that as a filler and forgot.

I've ordered from them a couple of times in the past but not in the last year. I imagine that everything is okay. I sent them an email to ask.
Old March 23, 2022, 06:55 AM   #45
Spats McGee
Staff

I've been using Weapon Shield for a number of years. I like the oil, as it's a little thicker than RemOil, which is what I used for a very long time. It also smells better. For things that need grease, I use the Weapon Shield grease, too. I'm not sure I know enough to tell the difference between the WS grease and others, but it works fine, so I won't replace it until I run out.
Old March 23, 2022, 07:07 AM   #46
mehavey

Pull any modern engine dipstick w/ Synthetic oil.
Run forefinger along said dipstick
Use forefinger as applicator.

That's if wet lube is required.
Dry ? Spray it down w/ Hornady 1-Shot Lube/Cleaner,
Walk away.

Burma Shave....
Old March 23, 2022, 08:21 AM   #47
brian33x51

Tetra grease on the wear points. I'll use oil to scrub things but I tend to wipe it off as it works as a great lint collector.
Old March 24, 2022, 01:57 AM   #48
ms6852

I use synthetic motor oil, singer, 3-in-1, ballistol, whatever is available to me at the moment
Old March 24, 2022, 08:50 AM   #49
Average Joe

Breakfree CLP
Old March 24, 2022, 01:24 PM   #50
rickyrick

Quote:
Breakfree CLP
That’s all I used for years, each bottle lasts a very long time too.