The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 15, 2022, 06:36 PM   #26
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I can say that my rifle has about 3,700 rounds through it and my neck-only sized brass makes up more than 3,200 of that number and so far I have lost zero pieces.
The failure rate of the brass is determined by the number of loading cycles for each individual case, not how many rounds of FL or neck sized go through the rifle.

I'm not disparaging neck sizing, only pointing out that the benefits are not uniform across all rifles or applications.

I have a range of rifles from tack driving varmint guns to minute of deer hunting rifles, in calibers ranging from .22 Hornet to .458 Win Mag. Some of them are more accurate than I am, some aren't and while they might be improved some, since they get their intended jobs done as they are, I'm not looking to do more.
Old June 15, 2022, 10:20 PM   #27
Sevens

Quote:
The failure rate of the brass is determined by the number of loading cycles for each individual case, not how many rounds of FL or neck sized go through the rifle.
Haha okay, I did not make myself clear when I said what I said.

Here is what I mean.

3,200 rounds across about 800 pieces of brass, so that’s an average of four reloads plus the original firing when it was factory ammo.

Across my 800 pieces, zero failures.

This might be more significant when my round count is 6,400 than 3,200 but it is the data that I have.

I’m suggesting — okay let’s be honest, I’m hoping that the fact that I am NOT working the bulk of the cartridge case and working it two ways actually (one by sizing and the other direction by firing) that I’ll experience longer case life.
Old June 16, 2022, 05:14 PM   #28
Unkl Chuck

Speaking of brass failure, I got into .17 Rem around 30 years ago with a 14" Contender. Started off FL sizing, bought a Lee Collet set, and then later a W.L. Wilson bushing setup, still use both. The majority of my original 200 pieces of brass are still useable. I quit counting loadings around 5 or 6 several years ago. I've lost about half a dozen or so cases to splits (mostly neck) and 1 head separation, primer pockets are getting to be the biggest issue. Then I found that .17 is now hard to find.
I mostly shoot rifle caliber pistols and each has it's own peculiarities and how it likes to be loaded.
When I got my first .257 TCU barrel, i wound up waiting over a year for CH4D to make a set of dies. In the meantime, a cheap set of Lee 25-45 Sharps FL dies served to do the initial case forming and subsequent neck sizing was done with a Wilson 7 TCU die with the bushing for .257. Worked great.
Old June 16, 2022, 09:58 PM   #29
akinswi

I have loaded each .223 Lapua Brass over 100 times, I did only neck size them . this is before I knew what annealing was. Was only shot from my Remington 700 SF II .

Only issue I ever ran into was when I sold the gun, I didnt label my box so when I went to the range I grabbed the wrong box.

Those neck sized rounds didnt chamber too well in my AR15. I had to take the charging handle and had to rack it back against the a picnic table to get the round loose.

There still loaded all 100 of them in the same box labeled “ do not shoot”

But Lapua Brass is no joke top notch .

Last edited by Unclenick; June 17, 2022 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Typo fix
Old June 18, 2022, 01:47 PM   #30
Unkl Chuck

akinswi, you need to put that Lapua brass back to work.
Pull the bullets, dump the powder, take the decapping pin out of your FL die, lightly lube with Imperial wax, resize and reload. Should not be a problem, I've had to do this several times and, for the last few years, none of my size dies have decapping pins. I use a separate decapping die for that step.
Be careful and good luck.
Old June 20, 2022, 06:41 AM   #31
akinswi

I was thinking about doing that, But they are there until I get another bolt .223 gun . Ill just shoot those in it.

But Lapua Brass is outstanding to say the least
Old June 21, 2022, 02:07 PM   #32
Unkl Chuck

Yes, the Laupa is outstanding brass, and spendy too. Ya gotta take care of it.
Stay safe.