The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 18, 2019, 01:24 PM   #1
SGW Gunsmith

Ruger Mark IV Closeout

Don't know if any folks are aware, or maybe don't care, but Volquartsen has Ruger Mark IV 5 ½ inch blued uppers in their "closeout" section for $25.00 plus shipping. The receivers are the serial numbered part so are considered to be the firearm. A current 01 FFL , not C&R, license is needed to purchase and then receive these uppers:

The two I purchased last week arrived this morning. The only blemishes I found on these uppers was in the dovetail floor where the rear sight was removed from. Otherwise both are in excellent condition and could be considered as NEW.
It will be interesting to see how well these two uppers exchange with the Mark IV Competition Target that I purchase when they became available as a non-WBR special addition.
Old November 18, 2019, 06:36 PM   #2
railroader

Yeah I saw that. They also have them with sights and the ruger case for $40. Great deal. Will they work on both the 22/45 and the standard frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 19, 2019, 02:27 PM   #3
SGW Gunsmith

Not sure if they'll work on the new Mark IV 22/45 grip frame, but I did try both uppers on a Mark IV Competition Target stainless steel grip frame and both went on perfectly.

That's quite a tribute to Ruger adhering to their allowable tight tolerances and make the switching possible. Not an easy fete.
Old November 19, 2019, 05:45 PM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

I have ordered one and should have it Thursday (11/21/19). I have a 22/45 Lite, so I'll be able to report on whether one of these uppers will fit a 22/45.

ETA: According to this page, a 22/45 Lite upper "Fits ALL Mark IV Frames / Both Standard and 22/45."
Old November 21, 2019, 11:54 AM   #5
triplebike

I have both 22/45 lite & 22/45 5.5in. The uppers are interchangeable. My lite came with a much better trigger than the target and sometimes Ill swtch them if I feel like shooting the target with the better lite trigger.
Old November 21, 2019, 07:56 PM   #6
dyl

Now if only there was a way to buy a lower by itself...Had to keep myself from buying the upper for a pistol I don't have!
Old November 22, 2019, 06:00 AM   #7
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebike View Post
I have both 22/45 lite & 22/45 5.5in. The uppers are interchangeable. My lite came with a much better trigger than the target and sometimes Ill swtch them if I feel like shooting the target with the better lite trigger.
Yes, but those are both 22/45s. I would expect for them to be interchangeable.
Old November 22, 2019, 06:05 AM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyl View Post
Now if only there was a way to buy a lower by itself...Had to keep myself from buying the upper for a pistol I don't have!
Ask and ye shall receive: https://store.wirthweinguns.com/Ruge...rame-st-ss.htm

I know. I'm an enabler.
Old November 22, 2019, 07:58 PM   #9
Spats McGee
Staff

I have not function tested the Mk IV (standard) upper on my Mk IV 22/45 frame, but it DOES fit. Like a glove!
Old November 22, 2019, 08:10 PM   #10
dyl

Quote:
I know. I'm an enabler.
Hohoho! Great find thank you!
Old November 22, 2019, 08:24 PM   #11
dyl

After working the numbers, it comes out as a wash for me to start from scratch. Buying a new Mark 4 target with 5.5" bull barrel is $435 after FFL fee.

Buying the individual pieces would be $25 + shipping + 20 FFL fee (for me) + $380 frame + sights = 425 + shipping and sights.

But if someone already had a Mark IV and wanted to try a different upper, this would be a nice way to do it!
Old November 23, 2019, 05:47 AM   #12
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyl View Post
After working the numbers, it comes out as a wash for me to start from scratch. Buying a new Mark 4 target with 5.5" bull barrel is $435 after FFL fee.

Buying the individual pieces would be $25 + shipping + 20 FFL fee (for me) + $380 frame + sights = 425 + shipping and sights.

But if someone already had a Mark IV and wanted to try a different upper, this would be a nice way to do it!
Yeah, I ran the numbers, too. I did already have a Mk IV, though.
Old November 23, 2019, 12:10 PM   #13
Spats McGee
Staff

Function test result: Flawless operation

Approximately 40 rounds of Winchester (Hyper X?) and 20 rounds of CCI Stingers. I had 1 dud Winchester, but it fed, fired, and ejected every other round without so much as a hiccup.

So, for posterity, let me make this clear:
A Ruger Mark IV Target upper (which is what these appear to be) will fit and will function on a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite lower.
Old November 23, 2019, 12:11 PM   #14
Tactical Jackalope

That's just great news, Spats. I wish I could pick one up right now. lol. It's a tight few months.
Old November 23, 2019, 07:12 PM   #15
Eddiejoe

I just ordered one! Thanks SGW!
Old November 25, 2019, 12:10 AM   #16
SGW Gunsmith

I've tried both of the uppers I posted above on my Ruger Mark IV Competition Target stainless steel grip frame, and they both fit perfectly:

Can't attest to how, or if, they will fit onto the Mark IV 22/45 grip frame style though. The post above states they go on just fine. KUDOS to Ruger for that option.
Old November 25, 2019, 04:30 AM   #17
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
I've tried both of the uppers I posted above on my Ruger Mark IV Competition Target stainless steel grip frame, and they both fit perfectly: ....

Can't attest to how, or if, they will fit onto the Mark IV 22/45 grip frame style though. The post above states they go on just fine. KUDOS to Ruger for that option.
You may not be able to attest to how they fit onto a Mark IV 22/45 grip frame, but I can. To my non-gunsmith eye, it's a perfect fit. Laid side by side with my wife's 22/45 Target, the only difference I can see is that mine lacks sights.

SGW Gunsmith, thank you for posting about this closeout. I have definitely benefited from the information. All I need is sights and threading and I'll basically have a 22/45 Target conversion for a really great price.