The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 22, 2017, 11:57 AM   #1
Brando1992

all around shotgun help

Ok so I am no stranger to pistols or rifle, I've always been around shotguns with multiple time shooting clay and just plain fun blasting things to pieces. I've not shot any competition but would like to plan ahead when purchasing my next shotgun. I would like to eventually shoot 3 gun but currently dont even own a pump shotgun so heres where all my questions come in... I am going to be buying a semi auto 12g for a multitude of uses, including future 3 gun use. I have narrowed it down to stoeger m3k, m3000 or 930JM. I dont plan to use the gun for home defense as I have guns serving that purpose already. I would however like to use it for skeet shooting some when friends go out as well as the very rare trips to go dove hunting(I will plug the mag tube of course). What length barrel would be best for an all around, fun, tactical, 3 gun, hunting shotgun which will likely be my only shotgun over the next few years. I like the idea of one gun that does it all though it doesn't do any of it the best, kinda like my glock 19. Also what chokes would be best for what with the barrel length recommended. I know you can buy spare barrels but for the cost I was seeing on an initial search i would rather just get a cheap pump with a different length barrel, but like i said i would prefer one gun to do all of it. I am really thinking a 24" m3k would be the best rout but am not familiar enought to be comfortable buying it withoug getting some consutation on here first. Also what upgrades, accessories etc do you recommend for this set up. I don't know if i will want to run doubles or quads but what length extension tube is recommended for either?

Hopefully this all makes since, I appreciate all the feedback!
Q:Are you using sarcasm? A: Is the Pope Catholic?
Old August 22, 2017, 01:06 PM   #2
Fishbed77

Recommend you check out this thread from about 2 weeks ago:

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=588791
Old August 22, 2017, 03:14 PM   #3
FITASC

Of those three choices, the Mossberg with a 28" barrel would be the best selection
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 23, 2017, 11:36 AM   #4
dreaming

Read the post Fishbed linked to. A pump will handicap you shooting anything but singles. Why not get a semi?
Old August 25, 2017, 11:09 AM   #5
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
Read the post Fishbed linked to. A pump will handicap you shooting anything but singles. Why not get a semi?
I don't think a pump would handicap him but I'd lean toward something like an 1100. Reason being it's a gas auto and shouldn't beat you up much. Actually the only auto I ever owned was a Browning double auto, great gun. I haven't shot competition with shotgun's either but have shot a little trap and skeet and watch a round of sporting clays once. Barrel length and choke would be what I'd look at after a semi auto. Skeet is a relatively close shooting, especially on the #1 and #7 house coming at you. #8 house Is really close and fast. I shot that with an old SxS 20ga 30" barrel and M/F chokes. Not so good for skeet. Rather a 26" barrel and skeet choke. Then trap and sporting clays seem to holler for a longer barrel and tighter choke. Say a 30" barrel and probably a full choke but a mod choke might work.

In skeet you have to react fast on close target's. In the other two you don't normally have to act that fast, especially trap. Sporting clays I watched was a heck of a mixture of shots. I guess what shots you get also depend on the course your on. I saw some awfully difficult shot's on the course I watched.

But gas auto loader for sure for me shooting as much as they do competition just for controlling recoil with so many shots.
Old August 25, 2017, 11:18 AM   #6
JWT

I agree on the Remington 1100. You can find lots of very good used ones on GunBroker and other sites. Proven design that's been around a long time. Essentially no recoil. Still see lots of them in use.

If you're gonna shoot trap or skeet look for a Classic Trap model with the rib and choke tubes.