The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 15, 2016, 11:01 PM   #1
Stick Man

Vertical Shoulder Rigs vs Chest Holster Rigs

Assuming a quality example of their type, which setup do you think carries better in the field, provides quickest access, and conceals easier under a jacket or fleece/sweater?
Old August 15, 2016, 11:40 PM   #2
Chaz88

I only use a chest holster for hunting hand guns that are scoped and too big to comfortably carry any other way.

For me, if it is much bigger than a 6" N frame a shoulder holster starts being hard to conceal. I can go 8&3/8" but need a coat that is a bit longer than I like.

For the field if a chest holster is not needed I belt carry in a good holster.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old August 16, 2016, 06:21 AM   #3
Old Bill Dibble

I'm not sure what you mean by "better in the field". That could be a lot of places depending upon who you are. I will say I have not seen anyone sporting a Vertical Shoulder Rig since at least 2002 in the military or police. VSR's tend to be slow, clumsy, don't provide as good of weapon retention as other holsters and can interfere with other active tasks.

In the military chest rigs are not the norm but not unusual either. I would wear one as for my BUG if needed for transition fire or when leaving my rifle to behind to go to a meeting in a safer area. A chest rig with a Serpa retention holster is very fast, much faster than a VSR, also easier to use when under stress. It isn't as fast as a hip holster most days but if you are wearing 60 pounds of armor and dood-dads and it is right up there. I also hate thigh rigs.

Practically all non-uniformed officers I know where a hip holster, mostly OWB, IWB when off duty. An OWB hip holster will be the fastest. In most situations your hands will be located near your hips. IWB, untucked will be almost as fast, especially if you are thin or medium frame.
Old August 16, 2016, 06:35 AM   #4
dahermit

Quote:
Assuming a quality example of their type, which setup do you think carries better in the field, provides quickest access, and conceals easier under a jacket or fleece/sweater?
A chest holster is not a concealment holster...it is a hunting/field holster. A vertical shoulder holster does not provide quick access under clothing. You may want to look at several different types of holsters...just one does not appear to be what would fit all criteria.
Old August 16, 2016, 07:00 AM   #5
old bear

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is the best answer so far.
Old August 16, 2016, 08:32 AM   #6
rodfac

I"ve use the chest type (Tanker in military terms) for both military and hunting use. For hunting, packing out elk quarters, the chest type does not get in the way of the pack straps nor the waist band. Too, I find it a bit quicker tho less easy to conceal for true CC use. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old August 16, 2016, 11:56 AM   #7
jonnyc

Rodfac stole the words out of my fingers!
I modified a chest/tanker for my short-barreled Colt NS in .45 LC. I consider it my woods gun. I chose it for the reasons stated; no interference with either belt or pack straps, easy access, no weight on back or hips.
Now if I could only lighten/smooth the DA trigger..............
Old August 16, 2016, 12:09 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...the chest type (Tanker in military terms)..." Air crew. Chest holster gets in the way in a tank.
Like dahermit says, chest rigs aren't for hiding stuff. Not built for speed either.
VSR's tend to be more for revolvers too.
Old August 16, 2016, 01:12 PM   #9
HiBC

I like bib overalls.I intend to make a rig that will carry a commander size 1911 and another for my M+P C to chest carry under the bib.A n open shirt or jacket over the top will complete concealment.
I intend to use a SERPA holster screwed directly to my harness.
No,its not going to be my only carry option,but I'm going to work with it.
Old August 16, 2016, 02:28 PM   #10
Chaz88

When the OP said "in the field" I defaulted to hunting / hiking kind of scenario. But the question about concealing sort of threw me. I would not worry about concealing hunting but might hiking.

Maybe the OP could clarify just what kind of field use they are talking about.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old August 16, 2016, 04:08 PM   #11
Stick Man

By "in the field", I meant hiking, riding, scouting, etc. But I also wouldn't mind carrying my in the field rig and revolver in town if it concealed well under a jacket or sweater. Going to a different setup because with my small waist and bony hips I just don't find carrying a 629 on my belt to be comfortable endeavor.
I found a used 4" 629 for cheap and went ahead and bought a short while back. I like the gun and don't have a problem shooting it. This being Wyoming you have some sort of cold weather clothing on a lot of the time, so it wouldn't be too hard to conceal something in a chest or shoulder rig for most if the year I imagine. We have open carry, anyway.

Last edited by Stick Man; August 16, 2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old August 16, 2016, 04:38 PM   #12
Stick Man

The Doc Holiday holster rig by El Paso leather just caught my eye. More like a stomach rig than a chest or under-the-shoulder rig. The strap over the shoulder looks a little thin compared to a Guide's Choice or Kenai Chest Holster, though. I'm afraid it might dig in. Any thoughts on strap width?
Old August 16, 2016, 04:58 PM   #13
g.willikers

Give a regular hip holster with good suspenders a try.
Works pretty good even with a belt full of heavy stuff.
Old August 17, 2016, 02:55 PM   #14
boondocker385

I have had both and neither is all that great. They work ok if you have a light pack and not much clothing on, but otherwise, not so much. I went back to an unscoped pistol on my hip for handgun hunting and am quite happy. I much rather get close anyway, so a scope wasn't necessary. YMMV.
Old August 17, 2016, 05:01 PM   #15
RIDE-RED 350r

My opinion:

Easier to conceal goes to VSR.

Better function in the field, ease of access to the weapon, comfort of carry goes to chest rig.

I have a Diamond D Guides Choice chest rig I carry my 460v in. Using that rig, I hardly know I'm carrying that X-frame. My 6.5" N-frame 629 Classic is more noticeable in the VSR I frequently carry that in.

Just my opinion.
Old August 17, 2016, 06:48 PM   #16
BigJimP

A 4" 629 ( N Frame, .44 Mag ) ...is way easier to conceal and carry in a belt holster than in a shoulder or chest rig.../ and if necessary a good set of suspenders.

Heck I carried a model 27 4" and a model 627 2 5/8" ( both N frames ) a few weeks ago in an IWB Kramer horsehide leather holster...
Old August 25, 2016, 09:15 AM   #17
bamaranger

Aviator holster

Quite a few years ago, I purchased a repro "aviator holster". It is a chest rig, and a bit more minimalist than a "tanker", as there is no second strap that circles the torso. I use the aviator for my Ruger B-hawk, and occassionally one of my 4" N-frames.

I liked the rig from the start. It's biggest plus is that you can simply duck in and out of it. A snap on the back of the holster can secure it to your belt, or you can just let the thing hang from the main strap. An underarm rig has always felt just like that to me, I've got a gun literally in my armpit...the aviator and other chest rigs bring the pistol forward enough that I loose that sensation, and it seems to carry better, more central too.

On the ATV, mtm bike, and in and out of the 4wd, the aviator keeps the gun out of the way seats, handlebars, knobs etc, and is not rammed into my hip like a conventional waistband holster.

It is not a concealment rig, and with its external retention strap, is not fast either, but seems very practical in the field and out and about.
Old August 25, 2016, 02:03 PM   #18
Old Bill Dibble

With a 4" barrel the belt holster will be better. With a clownshoes length carry barrel [6"+] then a VSR is practically your only option.