The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 16, 2013, 10:21 AM   #1
Sweet Shooter

New Vaquero for Hunting?

I've considered using my .357 New Vaquero (4.5 inch bbl) for deer this year.

During an elk (rifle) hunt last year I had the chance of several deer within less than 50 yards. But had no deer tags. Not sure though if this is the right revolver for hunting. Any thoughts on this? This cartridge is legal here.

It appeals to me because I'm not overly interested in filling tags per se, but I like being out there with a 'cause, and it seems the revolver would make me more 'mobile' and adventurous toward the hike. Kind of... simpler.

-SS-
Old April 16, 2013, 10:38 AM   #2
Colt46

.357 is a good enough cartridge

The trick will be in finding a load for hunting that will coincide with your fixed sights.
Practice, practice, practice until you can reliably hit a dinner plate(paper ones are less expensive) at random distances out to your 50 yard max.
Old April 16, 2013, 12:03 PM   #3
L_Killkenny

There is nothing inherently bad about the Vaquero or the .357 for deer hunting. Neither is perfect but both will do the job if you can. The point about finding a load that shoots POA is a good one. I'd try a variety of loads (including the specialty ammo's), 158-180gr, and see if you can find one that does. Avoid lightweight SD oriented bullets and loads.
Old April 16, 2013, 07:17 PM   #4
dgludwig

Nothing wrong with the Vaquero or the .357 Magnum cartridge for deer hunting, I suppose, but I'd much prefer a .44 Magnum or .45 Colt chambering and a revolver equipped with better sights for this purpose.
Old April 17, 2013, 03:20 AM   #5
bacardisteve

It would do the job at 50yards but as has been mentioned you are gonna need to find the right load. Avoid hollowpoints and if it were me I would probably go with something hardcast. Personally I would prefer something with adjustable sights and atleast a 6" barrel but with enough practice it will get the job done.
Old April 17, 2013, 03:41 AM   #6
mete

Keep at a respectable distance .In my area 50 yds is a typical range anyway. Practice a lot. Lots of bullet choices not only solid lead. Premium Barnes, Swift A-frame ,Speer Deep Curl have worked for me very well. I prefer and use a 44 mag with 6" barrel .Maybe if your Vaquero grows up a bit it will be better !
Old April 17, 2013, 12:23 PM   #7
temmi

Quote:
The trick will be in finding a load for hunting that will coincide with your fixed sights.
Practice, practice, practice until you can reliably hit a dinner plate(paper ones are less expensive) at random distances out to your 50 yard max
Yep

For hunting I would still get a BH

Snake
Old April 19, 2013, 12:19 PM   #8
coop2564

It will work...but a Blackhawk would be better for hunting.
Old April 19, 2013, 01:01 PM   #9
BigJimP

It'll work for Deer ( if you make a good shot ) out to 50 yds ....but I sure wouldn't go any further than that....and only that far, if you practice a lot and can make that shot 100% of the time into no bigger than a 9" circle.

I practice with a single action Freedom Arms revolver, in .357 mag, at 25 yds at my local indoor range ( that's max distance at my range) ....with a 6" bulls eye...and I can hit it 100% at 15 and 20 yds....and about 90% at 25 yds (when I'm dialed in) with my eyes... but I don't know about 50 yds with open sights. If I were shooting at a 9" target at 25 yds...I'd be 100% ....but that's a pretty good shot at 50 yds with open sights.

My gun will shoot a 1" group at 25 yds from a rest.../ but I can't do that standing unsupported with a 2 hand grip. Its me ...not the gun .../ now you can certainly practice from a supported position ( like leaning against a tree / or holding the gun in the crotch of a tree ) and that'll tighten up your shot...
Old April 19, 2013, 01:10 PM   #10
Sweet Shooter

Mmm... yes it sounds pretty daunting. I should probably stick with Rifle
-SS-
Old April 22, 2013, 10:34 PM   #11
EdInk

Hornady makes a round that shoots poa at 25 yards for mine. I forget the exact loading. I don't think it is a good idea though. Too short a barrel.
Old April 25, 2013, 08:15 AM   #12
2000ShadowACE

Jacketed soft points (158gr) with a full powder load give you good performance on deer sized critters. You get both penetration and expansion along with good weight retention. As has been stated, practice until you are proficient and then look for a good sausage recipe.