The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 28, 2009, 10:10 PM   #26
rodwhaincamo

I too was looking for an inexpensive semicompact 44 mag for my last birthday present. It came down to a used Ruger Redhawk or a new Taurus Tracker. I chose the Tracker because the frame of the Ruger had a horribly deep scratch on the frame and the barrel was a bit long. I thought Taurus was a descent manufacturer. After I brought it home I looked over the owner's manual. No hot loads allowed. The forcing cone appears to be thin. After some time I noticed the cylinder looks canted, and the barrel doesn't look straight, which is apparently why the sight has to be adjusted all the way to one side to get it to shoot straight. From what I hear about their customer service and return time I'm afraid to send it to them. It had problems shooting 44 Spl Blazer ammo. The cartridges would back out of the cylinder and catch on the blast shield. I've not heard anything bad about their Raging Bull, but if they can't put a barrel or cylinder on straight I'd be leary of ANY of their other products. My advice is to save your pennies and buy something better.
Old December 28, 2009, 10:25 PM   #27
treg

I've put several thousand .429's through a few SBH's over the years, never a problem.
Old December 29, 2009, 01:58 AM   #28
Satanic Toaster

Keep an eye open for a Ruger Redhawk. I got my a couple of months back LNIB for $375.
Old December 29, 2009, 02:02 AM   #29
REWTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&W Kinda Guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWTX
Another vote for the Super Blackhawk. I picked up a very lightly used one with an extra set of grips for $330 a couple of weeks ago.

I looked into those Super Blackhawks, did you buy one from a locally owned shop? Or from a chain store? I really like the look of them and they seem to be getting a lot of thumbs up.
I got it at a local gun store.
Old December 29, 2009, 02:23 AM   #30
Stiofan

You can pick up a new Blackhawk in .44mag for about $450-475. It will last you a lifetime. If that's too much, by all means get a used .44mag as mentioned above.
Old December 29, 2009, 02:46 AM   #31
S&W Kinda Guy

I think I'm going to go down to my two local gun shops tomorrow and check out if they have any Ruger Redhawks, but the only thing is I dont find the wood grips appealing, so if I do purchase one I'll probably check out some of the hough rubber grips. Thanks Guys for the help! I appreciate it.
Old December 29, 2009, 07:40 AM   #32
DiscoRacing

I believe on the supers... the original grip is a rubber outter with a wood inlay in the middle.....ive heard they are hand pinchers.
Old December 29, 2009, 08:23 AM   #33
madcratebuilder

Quote:
I am wondering if anyone knows of a good, reliable, and cheap .44 magnum?
Look at your user name. Get a M29/629. If your going to do more range time than anything else a Ruger RH or SRH. "good, reliable, and cheap" these do not coexist.

Quote:
I think I'm going to go down to my two local gun shops tomorrow and check out if they have any Ruger Redhawks, but the only thing is I dont find the wood grips appealing, so if I do purchase one I'll probably check out some of the hough rubber grips
I actually like the Ruger wood insert grips. I checkered one set of mine, really changed the feel. I made a set of stag inserts too, like the feel of that also.
Old December 29, 2009, 08:32 AM   #34
boltaction

Another vote for the super blackhawk here. If you dont have the cash up front alot of gun shops will put it on lay-away for ya.
Old December 29, 2009, 08:36 AM   #35
riggins_83

I saw a Ruger Redhawk listed at $460 used in great condition, see them around $650 new. If you want something less expensive go with a blued versus stainless Blackhawk single action.

I've seen so many Taurus Trackers (and Taurus revolvers in general) come back with issues I just won't touch them.
Old December 29, 2009, 02:32 PM   #36
S&W Kinda Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcratebuilder
I actually like the Ruger wood insert grips. I checkered one set of mine, really changed the feel. I made a set of stag inserts too, like the feel of that also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoRacing
I believe on the supers... the original grip is a rubber outter with a wood inlay in the middle.....ive heard they are hand pinchers.

I think the old Redhawks had wood inserts...I also know the older GP100s had wood inserts, but I think they changed them.

Old December 29, 2009, 05:43 PM   #37

I think you may be confusing the Redhawk and the Super Redhawk, two totally different guns. The Super Redhawk uses the same grip as the GP-100, the Redhawk has wood grips unless it's a 4" and then it gets Hogues.
Old December 29, 2009, 05:53 PM   #38
mnhntr

S&W 629 or
Ruger Blackhawk or Redhawk
Old December 29, 2009, 06:23 PM   #39
nefprotector

The Ruger Single Action .44mag is about the cheapest of any that I know of. ($449 @ my local shop) Darn Good guns.
Old December 29, 2009, 06:30 PM   #40
Venom1956

+1 with the used Redhawk! Shops round here only sell the SUPER Redhawk because apparently SUPER is always better...which I am not a huge fan only the Alaskan model, the barrels are hideous. I just missed a used Redhawk trade in by roughly 2 hours, (had to go ask the Mrs. ) When i got back it was gone! It was only on display for less than six hours! I told them they really should carry them new in the store.
Old December 29, 2009, 06:47 PM   #41
orionengnr

Just like they say about engine work...
--Fast
--Reliable
--Cheap

Pick any two
Old December 29, 2009, 07:17 PM   #42
sonick808

my friends taurus .44 mag has held up fine for at least 1000 full loads and no visible signs of strain yet. Aside from my wrist that is. As far as ammo cost: reload. Especially if you cast and pan lube your own bullets, you can shoot on the cheap even with .44 mag. You can setup head to toe for reloading for $150 if you shop wisely (minus powder and brass). That will take all of 2 trips to the range to recoup shooting .44 magnum. Shop at midwayusa website.

gunbroker.com is a good place to look for used smiths and colts and such.

Taurus does seem to have a higher rate of failure than other companies, but how much of that is by volume and how much is by flaw is not entirely clear. I would probably buy a smith with your budget, but don't take for gospel what you read on the net.

Good luck and enjoy your .44 mag
Old December 29, 2009, 10:05 PM   #43
Pathfinder45

cheapo

I fail to see how an American would buy a foreign made copy of a Smith-and-Wesson when you could just as well have the real McCoy.
Old December 30, 2009, 01:15 AM   #44
Lost Sheep

44 Mag choice

Welcome to the forum.

When I see most of the posts that start out like yours (Asking for recommendations) I am minded of the adage, "Asking for someone to pick out a gun for you is like asking someone to pick out a spouse for you."

You have actually got the right idea, asking for personal stories, which implies that your answerers will give reasons and reasoning behind their choices.

But before I can pick and choose among my recommendations, I have to ask you a question or two.

What kind of shooting experience do you have already?

What tasking do you have in mind for this gun? (Hunting, competitiion of some kind, defense agains dangerous animals, etc)

What other calibers do you own, particularly ones close to the 44 (e.g. do you own a 41 Magnum already?)

Thompson-Contender makes a dandy single-shot 44 Magnum.
Ruger makes a great single-action revolver or two in 44 Mag.
Ruger makes a couple of really great double action revolvers, and the standard Redhawk has a unique action design (if you are in to that sort of thing)
Dan Wesson has theirs with a super-fast lock time and interchangeable barrels.
Pre-Lock Smiths (particularly in blue) are works of art and very accurate to boot.

Then there are the semi-autos.

If your definition of "cheap" is somewhat flexible, there are some Colt Anacondas and High Standard Crusaders out there.

If you are somewhat masochistic, I believe there is at least one derringer available.

It hurts to buy the best, but only once, when you pay for it. When you buy less than what you need, it hurts every time you use it and are reminded of the compromise and what it cost you in utility and satisfaction and you pay that price forever. The trick is to get the one that fills your needs without overshooting (like buying a Freedom Arms when you only needed a Blackhawk).

Lost Sheep.

Last edited by Lost Sheep; December 30, 2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old December 30, 2009, 01:42 AM   #45
S&W Kinda Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Sheep
But before I can pick and choose among my recommendations, I have to ask you a question or two.

What kind of shooting experience do you have already?

What tasking do you have in mind for this gun? (Hunting, competitiion of some kind, defense agains dangerous animals, etc)

What other calibers do you own, particularly ones close to the 44 (e.g. do you own a 41 Magnum already?)
I only been an avid shooter for a couple of years, My friend who I go hunting with and shooting with owns MANY MANY guns, I've shot many of his 45's, 44's, AR's, and even his .50 caliber rifle(which left me deaf for a week)

I would just be using it at the range a couple of times a month just to shoot.

I own a S&W M&P-15, a S&W Sigma Series in .40, .308, and a Russian M44.
Old December 30, 2009, 08:08 AM   #46
GeauxTide

Cheap 44mags are like cheap Corvette's or Mustang's - BEWARE. If you're an S&W Guy, then live it. Next, get a Ruger.
Old December 30, 2009, 09:23 AM   #47
ilmonster

I bought a 4 5/8" blued SuperBlackhawk a year or so ago for around $425 IIRC. I shoot mostly .44 specials as I use it only indoors shooting paper. With .44 specials it is a pleasure to shoot. It certainly won't be worn out in my lifetime. It can make one ragged hole offhand at 35' if I do my job. A real fun gun to shoot.

To feed this habit, I have begun reloading on a Dillon SDB press. The cheapest .44 Spcls in town are $33. I can reload a box for $7. Of course, now i am also reloading .38 spcl and will begin 9mm too...and so it goes...
Old December 30, 2009, 11:42 AM   #48
Elvishead

$750 is cheap
Old December 30, 2009, 12:06 PM   #49
Magnum Mike

I'm a S&W 629 man myself Most times you get what you pay for!! Besides if you buy anything else are you going to change your username?
Old December 30, 2009, 07:43 PM   #50
S&W Kinda Guy

I just got back from looking at 3 different local gun shops, and I think I am going to try to buy the S&W Model 629...I liked the feel of it and it was one fine revolver...It was $799.99, can anybody tell me if this price is right? Thanks!

Last edited by S&W Kinda Guy; December 30, 2009 at 09:27 PM.

Tags
.44 magnum , revolver