The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 16, 2005, 09:28 PM   #1
hawken50

new york state concealed carry permit question

i read on packing.org about people with restrictions such as "hunting, target shooting, self defense" on thier nys cc permits. mine has nothing like this on it. no reason for carrying specified. does this mean i'm unrestricted or is eveybody that way now and packing.org is a little behind. i just got the permit last week and when i applied i didn't even know about restricted permits.
Old January 16, 2005, 11:07 PM   #2
wwsnyder

NY ccw

If there are no restrictions listed, then it is a "full" carry permit and concealed carry is the way it should be carried. Some counties are very restrictive and others aren't. I was only able to get additional "restrictions" like hiking, camping added to my permit beyond the traditional hunting and target.

I live in Tioga county now. But I was born in Cattauragus. I kick myself for not applying for a permit before I moved here because WNY is less restrictive. Where are you from?

Last edited by wwsnyder; January 16, 2005 at 11:09 PM. Reason: add
Old January 16, 2005, 11:24 PM   #3
Patrick Murphy

NYS carry permits vary a great deal by county. In my county most are issued with hunting, hiking, etc. restrictions and have those restrictions listed on the permit. My permit has no restrictions. My guess is that yours is also without restriction. Good for you. A word on restrictions is in order. State law recognizes no such thing. If you have restrictions listed on your permit, and you are caught carrying in other circumstances, there are no legal ramifications. By that I mean you cannot be prosecuted for a criminal offense. The issuing authority (meaning usually the judge) may suspend or revoke your permit, but you cannot be prosecuted for a crime.
Old January 16, 2005, 11:27 PM   #4
Lt102

The closer to NYC you get the more restrictive things become. Here in Rensselaer Co. (Close to Albany) you get restricted to Hunting and Target and after 1 year you can apply toget your restrictions removed.
Old January 17, 2005, 12:22 AM   #5
F350Lawman

The concealed part is up for debate. I have never heard of anyone being arrested for open carry nor do I know of any cops who consider a visible yet holstered gun to be illegal( not talking menacing here). The permit is called a Conceled Carry Permit and it authorizes a concealed carry but has NO PROVISION anywhere in the law prohibiting open carry. I think the "concealed" part of the wording is a privelege" not a mandate. If you can't open carry a pistol than I guess you can't hunt with a pistol unless you're real quick on the draw! Taking it a step further would a concelaed weapons carrier suddenly "violate" some law everytime the wearers shirt rode up and revealed the weapon? Maybe you need intent and accidently flashing it would be OK?

The argument I always here is someone seeing the gun will charge you with menacing once they see the gun, well maybe they'll charge me with reckless endangerment everytime they see my driving? I've gotten calls for a man with a gun and it was a permit holder, it's not a big deal. I'd like to see the cop who arrested a permit holder, sneak a collar for "not concealing" his legal gun past the desk officer. NOT LIKELY, theirs no law covering this. Even to stretch it to a charge of menacing, the cop would need a complainant who claims to be menaced, otherwise there's no law to charge you with violating. It's simply not a crime just because you open carried.

Now I am not recommending you open carry in NYC as you'll may be stopped by the police but more likely you'll be set upon by a liberal mob If you're in a rural area I don't think it is a legal issue. Of course someone might claim you menaced them but that's another issue.

I don't open carry regularly, but if I am typically wear a winter coat and belt holster, if I go into a diner I'm not about to put on a winter coat to go to the bathroom either. I sit with my right side "in" at the booth and that's the extent of my concealment. Same thing if I am using the self service pump at the gas station. Never had even a second glance, but then again, I live upstate.

Cop or no cop, I am sure I have violated no laws.
Old January 17, 2005, 03:41 AM   #6
mete

I would not suggest that you ever carry a gun open in NY, you don't need any problems . My permit has always been unresticted and it's nice to have it that way. In my opinion restictions are dumb.
Old January 20, 2005, 07:31 PM   #7
Boomerdog

Boomerdog

I,ve had a permit for several year. No restrictions. One of my friends told me he was heading out hunting and decided to stop into a grocery store
for softdrinks before leaving town. He was wearing a hip holster.
When he got out of his car , he thought concerned about carrying the handgun into the store with him even though it was perfectly legal. He removed the handgun and leaned over in his car drivers side and placed gun under front seat.
He shut car door and proceeded to walk towards the store. At this very moment he heard a very recognizable sound were all familiar with is the
police car honk. Police use it as a attention getter.
He turned and looked and motioning to him was a deputy sheriff in his patrol car. My friend went over and the deputy advised him not to leave the hand gun in his car but to carry it. It is best he have it on him than left in his car to be stolen by someone who may misuse it.
This is a good thought to think about. To me the deputy was correct in his
judgement. I,m a permit carrier in upstate n.y..
Old January 21, 2005, 07:39 AM   #8
skinn

Boomerdog,
If you don't mind what county are you in. I am in Ulster county and have found the sheriffs very receptive to ccw. I have alot of friends in Orange county and they have a much more difficult time from what I am told just getting a permit not to mention that most of them can only get one with restrictions. I have a full carry in Ulster and it was easy to get, I have had my permit for a little over a year as well and carry my SA Ultra Compact mostly every day. New York as to how hard it is to get a permit and what you can do with it as far as restrictions but Ulster makes it pain free, the only reason I did not get one sooner is that I was living in Orange and had been looking to buy a house in Ulster for sometime so I decided to wait until I moved here to make it easier to get a full carry.
Old January 21, 2005, 10:21 AM   #9
Blind Tree Frog

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to take my gun with me to upstate New York when I go. Assuming I do get my CCL (NC Issue) it's valid in just under 30 states right now. Problem is NY isn't in that list so even though I would be fine in most every state between here and there, once I hit New York I no longer have a valid permit (in that state).
Old January 21, 2005, 01:01 PM   #10
mete

B T F, you cannot legally take [carry or any other way] your handgun into NY state.Nor can you hunt with it. Leave it at home. If you want to shoot handgun in NY use someone elses gun when he's with you [not sure that's even legal but you'll probably get away with it].
Old January 21, 2005, 01:13 PM   #11
Blind Tree Frog

Can't do it if i go through the ATF first even?

freaky.
Old January 22, 2005, 06:37 AM   #12
Bulldozer

BTF, Here's the recommended way to go about transferring your handguns to NY.

1.) Leave them in the care of a trusted FFL in NC until you can get a NYS CCW Permit. Oncve you secure the permit (can take up to 6 months), have your FFL ship them to an FFL in NYS.

This is how I handled my handgun transfers. The other option is to try and find a NYS FFL to hold them pending license approval> That's a far more difficult nut to crack.