The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 26, 2015, 09:33 AM   #1
georgiacatweazle

Good starting load for 45 ACP

Hey guys, I'm going to be reloading for 45 ACP in a month or so, looking for a good starting recipe (not on the hot side). I'll obviously be checking anything against the manuals to make sure they are within spec.
I'll be initially doing an A-B test with a buddies springfield and remmington 1911's so i was looking to be in a good position from the get go as far as ammo loads.

I'll be shooting 230gr FMJ ball through a 5" barrel at 10 yards using either alliant unique or bullseye. i don't have access to any other powders / bullets.

thanks
Old February 26, 2015, 10:07 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

There is a century old recipe for hardball that still works: 5.0 grains of Bullseye. Standard LP primers. Anyone's cases that fit and feed well. 1.260-1.270" COL for elliptical nose military shape bullets about 0.68" long. 1.230"-1.240" is usually right for more spherical bullet nose shapes about 0.65" long. The idea to have the same seating depth of bullet base into the case with whatever bullet length you choose (see formula below). It produces around 825-830 fps from a 5" test barrel, or about 350 ft-lbs of muzzle energy, same as commercial hardball is loaded to today. I usually want to see people work a load up, but this recipe is so old and established and is 12% below Alliant's maximum of 5.7 grains, so you should be be good to go.

To find COL for same seating depth as above for your .45 Auto 230 grain hardball load:

COL = 0.898" + your hardball bullet length - 0.313"

In the above example, for the shorter 0.65" bullet:

COL = 0.898" + 0.650" -0.313" = 1.235"
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 26, 2015, 10:08 AM   #3
georgiacatweazle

i usually work up loads too.

thanks for the info.
Old February 26, 2015, 11:05 AM   #4
Nick_C_S

Unclenick pretty much covered it.

Time to move on to the next post

Hehe. Okay, I'll only add that you can make some good 230s with Unique too; but they're going to be hotter (which your OP alluded away from that) in order to run clean and consistent. Stick with the Bullseye unless you want to go kind of hot.

Quote:
. . .either Alliant Unique or Bullseye. I don't have access to any other powders
You don't need access to any other powders. You have two really good ones. Many would like to have your "restriction."
Old February 26, 2015, 12:22 PM   #5
georgiacatweazle

thanks for all the feedback, i've also gathered some load data from some other forums that'll i'll put together and find a good middle ground to start and verify against my loading manuals.
Old February 26, 2015, 12:40 PM   #6
mikld

Might I suggest that, as a new reloader you ignore any load data from any forum expert (with the exception of Uncle Nick, of course ), gun counter clerk, range rat, pet loads website, Bubba's uncle's brother-in-law's sister's cousin, or gun shop guru. Get your load data from a published manual or powder manufacturer's website. Start with standard, tried-and-true loads. Start at a starting load with the powder and bullet of your choice.

But, Uncle Nick's suggestion is the "classic" 45 ACP loading...
Old February 26, 2015, 01:06 PM   #7
georgiacatweazle

hey Mikld, yep understand about getting reloading data off of the guy selling oranges on the street corner :-)
i've been reloading for just over a year, so still learning a lot.
i should be getting my 1911 in about 6 weeks so i'm gathering some target load recipes to get me in the ball park a bit better.
obviously i'll be data checking the suggestions to make sure they don't exceed the manuals or my gut instinct.
generally i avoid loads that are within 2/10th grain of start and max. that gives me wiggle room.

thanks
Old February 26, 2015, 02:01 PM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

In this case, my own occasional errors notwithstanding, the 5.0 grain load is already 12% below Alliant's published maximum of 5.7 grains on their web site, so the 5.0 grain load already qualifies as a starting load by the powder maker's own data.

The old substitute for commercial match bullet loads was a 185 grain JSWC over 4.2 grains of Bullseye, and even that has cycled every standard 1911 I have owned, so there is no concern in my mind that the 5.0 grain load will be too light, either.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 27, 2015, 05:34 AM   #9
1100 tac

When you find some 200gr SWC of the H&G 68 type,use 4.8 Bullseye.

Shoots like a laser...