The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 26, 2015, 12:13 PM   #51
Metal god

Did that Hodgdon test crimp there cases ? Will a good amount of crimp stop any primer unseating of the bullet ? Which intern will give a result more like your quick loads data ?

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old February 26, 2015, 01:01 PM   #52
mikld

My post about testing pressures with different seating depths was partially to point out that with any question posted about "short seating" there are several/many warnings "pressures will rise to dangerous points". While I agree in theory that this can happen, I believe 99% of those answers are just from what someone read on a forum (parroting), and very few facts are offered...
Old February 26, 2015, 02:07 PM   #53
Unclenick
Staff

Undertand. The primer unseating phenomenon throws a monkey wrench into what is supposed to happen in principle. I know people who fired a pistol bullet that had been set way back in the case. I wouldn't, but they got away with it.

MG,

I think with any round that is predominantly used in revolvers, you can assume some degree of crimp is standard to prevent bullet back-out in cylinders. But no, it doesn't seem strong enough to affect the primer unseating, as the Hodgdon example shows, though it should raise start pressure some.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle