The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 6, 2012, 03:45 PM   #1
Dino.

Book recommendations for 1911's / WWII

Can someone recommend a good resource book for 1911's manufactured during WWII?

I'd like to find a book that has information that would help explain the differences in Remington Rand, Colt, Ithaca, US&S, and Singer 1911's. Something that would help identify parts and what pistol they went to during what year. That sort of thing.

I've seen some pretty good resource sites on the internet, but I think it would be great to have everything in one book. Does such a book even exist?
Old February 6, 2012, 05:10 PM   #2
Chris_B

Yes

It's on my desk right now:

Collector's Guide to Colt .45 Service Pistols Models of 1911 and 1911A1

(Note that this doesn't mean it's just about Colt manufactured pistols)

By Charles W. Clawson

ISBN 0-9633971-3-3

http://www.amazon.com/Collectors-gui.../dp/0963397184

That is the so-called "Clawson Little Book". There is also a "Big Book". I don't want to tell you how much the Big Book costs. I've paid less for 1911 pistols!
Old February 6, 2012, 05:55 PM   #3
Dino.

AWESOME!
Thanks Chris!
Old February 7, 2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Chris_B

Glad to help
Old February 9, 2012, 05:59 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Clawson's book will be helpful, but I don't know of any book detailing how to identify the parts by maker and year. The only way would be by examining and cataloging the machine tool markings on each part, and that has not (AFAIK) been done. Some work has been done, but again AFAIK has not been published. As an example, the machine tool marks on a US&S pistol are unique and would clearly identify a US&S frame even without any other indications. Similarly, the later Remington-Rand slides were ground on the sides and those marks can usually be seen and are unique, different from the planer or mill marks used elsewhere. Areas that do show in the book are the USP and model number font and position. They can usually show definitively if a slide is mismatched to a frame.

HTH

Jim

P.S. The last sale I saw of the "big book" was for $495. It is probably more now.

JK
Old February 11, 2012, 04:36 PM   #6
Winchester_73

I have the Goddard book and I like it. Its a fraction of the cost and chances are it will teach you something. I'm not sure that it has parts break downs. You could find that info by taking note of auctions an guns for sale where it is listed. There are probably lists online of the parts and their markings.
Old February 11, 2012, 05:56 PM   #7
Chris_B

Respectfully, my edition of the Clawson little book shows things like hammer types broken down by serial number, and hammer border ID, recoil spring housing shapes in relation to serial number, plunger types, mag catch variations, safety types, etc. Some of the ranges are listed as "to mid year" because they were using up stock and it's hard to pinpoint exactly when a hammer border type change took place, for example.

I get no money from Charles Clawson and I do not get residuals from sales. I also am not a 'Clawson fan'. I simply feel he's produced a useful reference for identifying these pistols and their parts. It would be impossible for one book to cover everything but I feel this book is a good all-rounder.
Old February 12, 2012, 01:31 AM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Chris, I agree on Clawson, just sorry I don't have the big book. But someone claimed years ago to be working on a book that would detail parts down to sears, disconnectors and grip screws, showing tool marks and variations by manufacturer. That would be great for collectors trying to determine if a gun was completely original or if parts had been replaced. I heard about the project years ago, but nothing has shown up - maybe the author found it was just too big a task.

Jim