The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 24, 2000, 10:31 AM   #1
KaMaKaZe

I'm really lookin' to purchase one of these bad boys but I haven't found one for cheap yet. Actually, I know its not going to be cheap, but if I could find one for less than $80, that would be awesome. If you bought one recently and know where I can pick one up at a reasonable price, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

------------------
God, Guns and Guts made this country a great country!

oberkommando sez:
"We lost the first and third and now they are after the Second!(no pun intended)"
Old August 24, 2000, 11:42 AM   #2
Coronach

Not to burst your bubble, but if you are looking for a reliable, solid, 'tactical folder' that knife probably isn't the one for you. www.bladeforums.com (this site's sister) had numerous comments about the knife's shortcomings.

IM(NS)HO there are better knives to be had for the same ballpark price, and MUCH better knives for a little more.

What do I have? Rekat Carnivore and a Benchmade AFCK ( www.rekat.com and www.benchmade.com : and don't let the 'retail prices' throw you- you can find them for way less). The AFCK can be had for a similar price to the Applegate and is more durable, the REKAT can be had for a bit more and is built like a tank.

FWIW,
Mike

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein

[This message has been edited by Coronach (edited August 24, 2000).]
Old August 24, 2000, 11:55 AM   #3
KOG

Which size? I got them when they first came out. I've got the original large one and the smaller "Covert" one. They are nice knives, well-constructed and slick. The large one has a blade made of 425 steel while the smaller ones are ATS-34.

Large one has a nylon sheath that has a snap similar to a gun holster. The smaller one is more practical for everyday carry and has a double locking system in that the liner lock can be blocked from opening.

They are available in flatground or double ground (false-edge) styles. Pocket clip on the small one is a bit tight, you won't lose the knife that's for sure. I just wish it pointed tip up in the carry position, but most liner locks carry in the point down position to avoid possible problems if the blade opens up in your pocket.

Only complaints would be that the small one's blade is a bit on the thin side and there isn't a better "guard" for the fingers; it would be easy on a thrust for your hand to slip off the handle but this is true for many, many knives out there. Also, on the large one, it says, "combat folder" or something like it on the blade; I think those little name thingies are stupid.

But, as the poster above said, there are other knives that are better in the price range. The AFCK is a good knife and probably tougher for use. I like Spyderco stuff, and Microtech, though expensive, makes awesome stuff. I have the Gerbers for the collection, I usually carry an AFCK or an Endura.

I'd try gunshows for the best prices. Could try at www.knifecenter.com www.discountknives.com Also, www.bladeforums.com should have some more comments and reviews on their forums.

[This message has been edited by KOG (edited August 24, 2000).]
Old August 24, 2000, 12:11 PM   #4
Long Path

Well, I WAS about to move to "Buy, Sell and Trade: Holsters, Gear and Accessories", but I see that there's some knife discussion going on, so I'm moving this to "AF/CQC: Alternative Force/Close Quarters Combat."

Old August 24, 2000, 02:40 PM   #5
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

KaMaKaZe - I had one. Two actually - that and the COVERT. Sold them off for 50 a piece.
If this is the style of folder you want, I have a couple suggestions.
#1 alternative is the SOG Pentagon Elite. It is a much better knife in my opinion.

#2 is the Benchmade Darkstar - a tactical version of the Sentinel. Elshwitz (sp) is a very good designer and this knife is very smooth.
Old August 24, 2000, 05:58 PM   #6
CWAdams

I've got a Covert folder - nice, but not great. The liner-lock is hard for me to manipulate (and I've got several liner-locks). For the same overall shape, a little smaller, and much better knife, I've got a Benchmade 350 Pardue liner-lock. It's ATS-34, and MUCH smoother.

------------------
ChasW
Old August 25, 2000, 06:08 AM   #7
KaMaKaZe

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! My brother brought back one of these (see above) when he came back from Kosovo and I absolutely fell in love with it.. however, my dad seemed to get it.. At any rate.. I've written down all y'alls suggestions.. now I just need to find me a gun show to try all these out! I'll keep my eyes peeled.

------------------

oberkommando sez:
"We lost the first and third and now they are after the Second!(no pun intended)"
Old August 25, 2000, 01:21 PM   #8
FPrice

KaMaKaZe,

I have one (got it from Brigade Quartermasters I believe) and it is a nice knife. But it has it's bad points along with the good.

It is a slick little knife, carries well inside my pants, has a good handle, and opens very well.

But the liner lock does not (in my humble opinion) engage enough metal on the blade, and I have concerns about how effective the blade is.

My current carry knife is a CRKT M16-12Z. It has a heavy and sharp 3" Tanto blade, w/serrations, the "Carson Flipper" which aids the opening process, and a good liner lock. Plus it is about $20-30 less expensive...NOT CHEAPER...just costs less. It is not quite as slick as the A-F, but I think it's a better carry knife. I recommend that you look at CRKT before you buy anything else.

Frosty
Old August 27, 2000, 07:20 PM   #9
KaMaKaZe

A friend of my brother bought a pretty nice Benchmade the other day and I got a good look at it. Of course, he shelled out $120 or so for this knife.. but it was pretty slick. I had seen them before but I never looked at it up close. However, I might just change my mind after all -- but still keeping my options open!

Thanks for all the help (again).

------------------

oberkommando sez:
Old August 27, 2000, 09:35 PM   #10
Jim March

Most state's folder laws put a 4" limit in, or there's no limit at all. The large Applegate is 4.5". If you're allowed to carry megafolders, why not go "all the way" and get a REKAT Sifu? That's the "ultimate bad boy" in combat folders today, in my opinion .

See also: http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/blades.html

Jim
Old August 29, 2000, 08:53 PM   #11
guerilla1138

i have looked at them at gun shows, seemed OK. the problem with the liner that everyone has mentioned i noticed at the show where i saw them, and thats why i have not gotten one yet.
could be fixed with a little work, but i would rather that it not need work from the factory.
i have also looked at the abovementioned SOG pentagon elite, and benchmade darkstar.
both are alot nicer than the gerber.
they are also a little more $$$, but one the forums,(either of the blade.knife forums) i am sure one might find one for a good price.
and remember you get what u pay for.

------------------
while u are burying your head in the sand i will be out doing something about the problem, excuse me if i tram upon your cranium.

[This message has been edited by guerilla1138 (edited August 29, 2000).]
Old August 29, 2000, 10:07 PM   #12
sigmund

I am pretty new to the world of better knives, so have limited experience. I have the A-F Folder, and I don't see what the problem is with the liner lock. The lock looks like it makes contact with about 1/2 the width of the back edge of the blade, providing more surface contact than I see in a number of more expensive knives I own. What am I missing here?