The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old January 26, 2008, 02:50 PM   #1
KCabbage

What do you do?

Greetings everyone.

Its the middle of the day and your inside your home cooking a nice yummy steak. You begin to hear some suspicious noises outside your house. You go to the window and see two big guys breaking into your vehicle. You tap the window and say "hey, get outta here". They see you and continue to break into your vehicle. What do you do?

Let's not forget about peppersprays, weapons, other non-lethal munitions, and ofcourse good ole' timely 9-1-1.

This should be interesting.
Take care all.
Old January 26, 2008, 03:01 PM   #2
homefires

Out comes the Ruger 10/22 hanging buy the front door! Again I say Hay You! Drop!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buy then my Pit/Terrie mix should be on one of them.
Old January 26, 2008, 03:01 PM   #3
Rangefinder

Grab the shotgun, phone, and camera. I pay insurance--they'll replace the car. I pay taxes, so the police can worry about chasing down a car thief. Take photos through said window, wave at them after you tap the glass and they look at the camera---click. Call the police, report my stolen car (or attempt), present the responding officer with a nice set of photos fresh off the printer, and then settle into the couch with a bag of popcorn and a movie while giggling to myself at how stupid some people can be.

If they happen to come through the door instead of just going for the car, well.... That's an entirely different story, and the reason for the shotgun.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Politicians.
Old January 26, 2008, 03:09 PM   #4
Rembrandt

If they take Mrs Rembrandts car they won't get far.....it's always out of gas.
Old January 26, 2008, 03:15 PM   #5
KCabbage

Quote:
If they take Mrs Rembrandts car they won't get far.....it's always out of gas.
Thats a good one!
Old January 26, 2008, 03:36 PM   #6
homefires

How do you know? Did you do the Midnight Gas run?
Old January 26, 2008, 04:12 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Open the winder and send some 000 out yonder...
Seriously... I don not have full coverage insurance. I have one operational vehicle and am 5 miles from the nearest convenience store... Just to "borrow" my ride and burn the gas in the tank just to return it would seriously impact my family's ability to go on. My vehicle is OFF LIMITS! I don't have the expendable funds to financially support criminals.
Brent
Old January 26, 2008, 07:16 PM   #8
Majic

Dial 911 and get all the pertinent info on the bad guys (description, dress, anything you notice) for the police when they arrive. No one needs to die just for a car.
Old January 26, 2008, 07:31 PM   #9
homefires

I wasn't going to kill anyone over my truck! I was just going to stand there with the 10/22 and watch my dog chew on his new chew toy for a while. Then go to the phone and call the Law! You know it takes a long time to get out here!
Old January 26, 2008, 07:58 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I ain't about to tell my wife she will have to walk 10 miles to work (each way) 5 days per week with a few trips for groceries cuz someone else thinks they deserve our hard earned ride! BullChit! If they want to live all they need to do is leave my stuff alone or out run 1,100 fps lead bees nest! Not every one in this nation is fully insured or flush enuff with cash or credit to allow these crimes! The loss of even 20 bucks will have serious repercussions in my family budget!
Brent
Old January 26, 2008, 09:06 PM   #11
jfrey123

Grab a side arm and investigate. If they're standing there, I'd holler at 'em and call the cops. Figure seeing me, armed and calling the cops, would be enough to make them bolt. If they come at me, I'll go back inside, lock the door, and allow them to choose their own fate.
Old January 26, 2008, 09:13 PM   #12
Hawg

If they got past the dogs they'd have had to put them down. They're history.
Old January 26, 2008, 11:51 PM   #13
Derius_T

I will second the camera or video camera, and the 911 call. Get all the video or pictures you can. Nice 8x zoom and I can see up their noses if I wanna.
If they come towards the house to get the camera...well......2nd bad decision of the day.

And as an off note, Majic wrote:

Quote:
No one needs to die just for a car.
You know, I'm going to go a bit off the board here and say that....maybe they do. And its not the car, its the criminal mentality. They know for a fact that all they have to fear is a scrape with the law, and most are out before you are done filling out the report. If they do spend and jail time, some have it better inside than on the street.

The biggest problem with habitual criminals, IMHO, is the absence of any real fear or serious consequences. If they knew for a fact, they could be killed for their crimes, without anyone getting in trouble for it, I think that would be a major deterrent. Also, if they knew there were stiffer consequences with the law for serious offenses, like actually losing their life...quickly...I think there would be less crime. Just a few thoughts.....
Old January 27, 2008, 12:24 AM   #14
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Closed, and here's why.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread