The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 1999, 04:57 PM   #1

I just got a good deal on a Contender barrel in .30 Herrett and it's my first "Wildcat".
I understand that the brass is formed from 30-30 brass in a forming die, but I'm not real sure how this works. Does the formed brass have to be annealed or anything? Do I have to fire the rounds at low pressure the first loading? It's a ten inch barrel, will this round perform well in ten inches?
Any good load data for this round would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance for the info.
Old January 31, 1999, 11:02 PM   #2
Walt Welch

There are two excellent sources for questions such as these. First, the NRA. They have been answering my handloading questions for well over 30 years, and have real experts on their staff.

RCBS of Oroville, CA, is the world renown manufacturer of a huge selection of dies, some of them very rare. Call them up and ask them. Their staff is very knowledgeable. Walt
Old February 1, 1999, 03:20 AM   #3
JD

Tim, I have owned a 30 herret for several yrs. Making brass is actually very simple.
The easiest way is to put the 30-30 brass through a sizer die and trim it to length.
Then fire the round with a light charge of a fast burning powder, light charges of slow burning powder could cause detonation, and you don't want that.
You can then load them as you please, I have noticed however, that cases that are fireformed need to have the actions closed rather smartly, as there is no play in the chamber.
The 10" barrel is nothing to worry about, the pistol should be extraordinarily accurate
My 30 Herret shoots 1.5" groups at 100 yds. Other than that all I can tell you is to experiment, as every gun shoots slightly differntly.

Old February 1, 1999, 03:36 AM   #4
JD

Sorry, Tim I said run the brass through a sizer die, that is wrong, it is called a trim die.
I believe it is available through RCBS.
Old February 2, 1999, 03:19 PM   #5
Slim Chance

Tim,
I also have some time in on this caliber. Check the neck diameter of your loaded rounds. If it is more than .328 you need to either turn the necks of the cases or ream the inside of them. Loaded round that are too large in this dimension will give you VERY high pressures. The book "Wildcat Cartridges" from Wolfe publishing has several articles on this cartridge. You should be able to locate a supply of cases for conversion locally, but if you can't, e-mail me. I have a rather large supply.

------------------

Old February 6, 1999, 01:50 AM   #6

Thanks to all for the info and e-mails, I think I'm well on my way now.