The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old October 19, 2018, 05:16 PM   #1
billcarey

Can I change text colors?

At 69 yrs old my eyes are having a hard time reading the small blue letters against the background. Is there a way to change all text colors to black or darker for more contrast. I know how to change colors on my posts and that's not what I'm talking about. Its getting to the point where I visit this site less because the blue is too hard to see.

Thanks,
BC
Old October 19, 2018, 05:37 PM   #2
Mal H
Staff

No, there is no way I know of for you to have different colors from everyone else.

What you might try though is to change your display settings to a higher contrast or brightness level. Also, most modern displays will have various settings for warm, cold, etc. Try playing with your display settings to see if you can improve the contrast.
Old October 19, 2018, 10:55 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Windows includes (or can download) high-contrast themes to improve visibility and there is also a screen magnifier. Both options will be found in the Ease Of Access control panel in any modern version of Windows.

Also, if you use Google Chrome (or most other browsers) somewhere in the settings are options to use larger and/or bolder fonts, restrict minimum font sizes or even magnify pages. In Chrome, it's under Settings and the scroll down to Appearance. Other browsers, I can't say exactly but it's in there somewhere. Chrome also has an extension called Zoom+ that acts like a magnifying glass.

Also in Chrome, there is an extension called FontSize Changer, that not only changes the size of fonts but also the colors. I tried it, it works on TFL. It works page by page, so it won't change other pages. Unfortunately, it's not persistent, so you have to set it every time you visit, but that only takes a couple of seconds.
Old October 20, 2018, 06:27 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

Also, if you'll go to your "User CP," you can go to "Edit Options." User CP will be on the horizontal bar near the top of the page, the same one that has "New Posts," and "Search." Once you click that, "Edit Options" will be on the left side of the page. In the Options page, at the bottom, you'll see "Forum Skin." That will also give you a few display options.
Old October 20, 2018, 06:29 AM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Haven't tried it in all browsers, but in IE and Chrome, holding down the Ctrl key and turning the mouse wheel will change the font size. One direction increases the size, the other shrinks it.
Old October 20, 2018, 08:04 AM   #6
billcarey

Thanks everyone. It looks like zooming in works ok when visiting here...I can still see the page width at 175% and the large text is easier to read. I'm partially color blind and evidently sensitive to the blue here...but not on other web sites.

Thank you.
BC