The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 16, 2020, 12:28 AM   #1
Prof Young

Can still find 25 acp on store shelves.

Perused the ammo section of the local Buchheit earlier today. No 20ga at all. Lotta 12 ga. Not much of anything else except the 25 acp had the usual half a dozen boxes. But at 40 cents a shot I took a pass. Will stick to my reloads. Life is good.
Prof Young
Old November 16, 2020, 11:17 AM   #2
aarondhgraham

What a coinkidinky,,,

What a coinkidinky,,,
Just yesterday I was in my local Academy,,,
Hoping to score that elusive box of 9mm defense ammo.

The only handgun ammo they had was,,,
5 boxes of Fiocchi .25 ACP at $19.95 each.

I'm well stocked on that so I let it stay.

Aarond

P.S. Just to boast though,,,
I stopped at Wally World on my way to work this morning.

Scored two 325 round packs of Federal Auto Match.

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old November 16, 2020, 12:33 PM   #3
Onward Allusion

Yup, 25 & 32 ACP are about all there is out there. A 25 ACP is still miles ahead of bare hands.
Old November 17, 2020, 09:29 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

I haven't looked in years. That said, I'll take a 25 ACP before going hand to hand.
Old November 23, 2020, 07:51 PM   #5
dakota.potts

.25 I haven't seen as much at on store shelves but still see available online far more than any other.

.32 ACP however, I have seen in literal piles. One visit to Bass Pro turned up about 40 boxes of .32 ACP, and the only other handgun ammo on the shelf was .480 Ruger and .45 Colt, both at almost $2/round for hunting loads.

Makes my Beretta 81 and my HSc happy. Have a little Italian pocket .25 also. All of the above are a whole lot better than carrying nothing.
Old November 25, 2020, 04:30 AM   #6
TruthTellers

There's a reason .25 is on the shelves: it's a terrible choice for self defense and unless you already own a .25, I do not think that it's worth owning a .25 just because you can find ammo for it... for now.

Other than Phoenix Arm's .25 (which is probably the only .25 ever meant to NOT be used for conceal carry) most every .25 is meant to be a small, light concealed handgun, not a GTW option or a nightstand gun.

The .32 ACP, while the focus today is on the smallest, lightest pistol for conceal carrying, there are plenty of options that are larger and heavier and are not built around civilian concealed carry.

Why do I focus on this? Because unless you're looking for a carry gun because you've run out of ammo for your normal ones, I don't see the point to buying a tiny, tiny .25 or .32 just because you can get ammo for them now. If you're gonna do that, buy the largest, heaviest one you can.

There are still Beretta 81's available on Gunbroker, but you're gonna pay $100 more now than if you had bought one a year ago. I'm sure Phoenix .25's are available and I've thought about getting one at times because I do like them, but I don't reload .25 and have no interest to.

If Phoenix made a .32 with both a 3 and 5 inch barrel... that would just make my day. Maybe someday they will.
Old November 25, 2020, 05:28 PM   #7
tangolima

I found .32 s&w at a local shop. $1 a round. "Pass and thank you" so said I. I still need the ammo, but I'm going to handload. Have everything except the brass. The plan was to buy loaded rounds and reused the brass. But the price was just too silly.

-TL

PS. I will load some .25acp too when I'm at it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old November 26, 2020, 02:49 PM   #8
Onward Allusion

Quote:
There's a reason .25 is on the shelves: it's a terrible choice for self defense and unless you already own a .25, I do not think that it's worth owning a .25 just because you can find ammo for it... for now.
No doubt.

I still prefer to have several pistols in all the common calibers, however - ie. 22LR, 25ACP, 32ACP, 380, 9x19, 40S&W, 357 Sig, 38 Spl, 357 Mag, 44 Mag... Hmmm, maybe that's why I still gotta work for a living...
Old November 26, 2020, 07:03 PM   #9
44caliberkid

My son in law told me the Scheels in Cedar Falls had a bunch of 9mm last week, $17.99 a 50 round box, limit 3 per customer. Well, that's only a 100% mark up over the pre-shortage price, better than 300%.
I see this a lot, the handgun ammo section reduced to a few boxes of 25 ACP and a few 50 A&E. At least 22's are still plentiful, at least around here. Also first year I have seen the shotgun shell supply exhausted by the first week of bird season. Never thought I'd see a shotgun shell shortage.
Old November 27, 2020, 12:53 PM   #10
Kreyzhorse

I haven't even seen .25acp of late... I have a gun chambered in that round, but it's just a fun gun, not a SD gun but honestly, I'd buy a couple of boxes if I saw some out.

I don't think ammo is going to be more widely available any time soon.
Old November 27, 2020, 04:56 PM   #11
KyJim

I haven't shot, much less carried my .25 Beretta 950 in years. But, when I found some other ammo at a "decent" price a few weeks ago, I added a 50-round box of .25 acp FMJ--just in case.
Old November 27, 2020, 06:54 PM   #12
shafter

The last time I was in Cabelas which was a few weeks ago, the only ammo they had on the shelves was about a dozen boxes of .25 and a few boxes of 300mag. I didn't need or want either of them.
Old November 27, 2020, 08:14 PM   #13
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward Allusion View Post
No doubt.

I still prefer to have several pistols in all the common calibers, however - ie. 22LR, 25ACP, 32ACP, 380, 9x19, 40S&W, 357 Sig, 38 Spl, 357 Mag, 44 Mag... Hmmm, maybe that's why I still gotta work for a living...
Having said what I said about .25, I will usually buy a box or two a year when it's on sale and I can get free shipping. Last box I got it for something like $11 and that allows me to pull out the Raven twice a year and give it a go.

Cool to own the Raven, it looks so nice, but the grip and sights are terrible. If I could go back, I would have bought a Phoenix .25 instead, better sights and trigger and a lifetime warranty for a company that is likely to be around many more years.

As to owning pistols in many calibers, I pretty well did that, but there were certain calibers I did not see a point to owning. .41 and .44 revolvers were ones I didn't see the point to. A .44 Mag rifle... yeah, I could see myself owning one, definitely a single shot.