The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 15, 2020, 09:27 PM   #1
Doc3F

Custom Pistol Build Sheet

Hi Folks & Fellow Smiths,

My name is Doc, and I have been an Adept Gunsmith since 2002, and have been in gunsmithing training since 1998, after I completed my machinist schooling at trade school. My Master Smith passed away a couple of years ago, but I studied with him for many years after the 5 I spent in his shop. I do my own anodizing, electro-etching, bead-blasting, and machining. My specialties are 1911, AK-bullpup, .22, and figuring out problems that stymie the local gunsmith.
Out of frustration that there were none available, and because in my previous life I was a graphics professional, I came up with this Custom Pistol Build Sheet, which you all may freely use (but please dont sell it without kicking me down some royalties).
I couldn't bring a bottle of wine to introduce myself, so this PDF of a Freely-Distributable Custom Pistol Build Sheet will have to do. Just use "fit to page" if it doesnt print correctly full size.

Have Fun, and nice to meet you all,

-Doc3F
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Pistol Build Sheet 2020.pdf (692.4 KB, 40 views)
Old November 16, 2020, 02:49 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Thanks for sharing, and welcome to TFL.

If I might be so bold as to offer a suggestion, your form has a space for "Series 80 Safety Delete Plates." That seems to presuppose that the frame is cut for the 1911 Series 80 firing pin safety levers. However, even today many brands don't include that entire mechanism. In addition, if you order the frame and/or slide from Caspian (for example), the cuts for the levers (in the frame) and the plunger (in the slide) are options. I would think a specification sheet such as this would begin by making note of whether or not the frame and slide should have the Series 80 cuts, and then go on to note if there was a spacer plate installed instead of the Series 80 system.

Also, I see there's a space to note the link number (for 1911 barrels). But there are several makers of 1911 barrel links, and they don't all use the same numbering system. I would suggest that this should note the actual link length, as well as the maker of the link used and the number.

I see a space for frame finish. I don't see a space for slide finish. And the space for sight type seems awfully small, considering that tghere are so many choices for both front and rear sights.
Jeepaholic
Old November 23, 2020, 03:32 PM   #3
Doc3F

Great Suggestions!

Thank you for the suggestions. I tend to just write things in as I need them, but I'll see if I can include those in a revised version. Hopefully people will find it to be handy, as I have.