The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 3, 2020, 01:38 PM   #26
T. O'Heir

2,150px × 1,263px is too big. Please reduce the size of your pictures.
$650 isn't unusual for a custom rifle barrel. However, one should always get an estimate first. I notice that Benchmark does not put their prices on their site.
Old October 3, 2020, 05:18 PM   #27
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser
Quote:
When you say you don't think the quoted price was out of line, are you referring to the initial quote of $550 + $50, or the invoiced amount of $650 + $100?
I can only go off the $550 "bid".
As mentioned in my reply, I cannot see the invoice that seems to be visible to everyone else. My security software has flagged a file in this thread as "dangerous" and won't load it.
You are all discussing a total without mentioning what it is, and I cannot see it.
Well, then. The image of the actual invoice showed:

* Benchmark Barrel - 224 SS 14T 6 gr Ruger M77/22 Fin
. Installed on Ruger ##### . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $650.00

* Thread muzzle and Protector . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $100.00

* Bed and freefloat . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$ 80.00

* Shipping via UPS with signature required . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $ 40.00
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

TOTAL . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $870.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser
The failure here was lack of clear communication.
I quite agree.
Jeepaholic
Old October 3, 2020, 05:20 PM   #28
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir
$650 isn't unusual for a custom rifle barrel. However, one should always get an estimate first. I notice that Benchmark does not put their prices on their site.
He did get a price first. That's the whole problem -- the price he was charged is significantly higher than the price he was quoted.
Jeepaholic
Old October 3, 2020, 05:30 PM   #29
Double K

It's pointless to speculate without a written quote, people misunderstand or forget, hear what they want to on both sides.
When I used to work for the mega corp brand X pest control company I filled out contracts every day, half the time people didn't really grasp what was entailed in the service or the cost until they seen it on paper even though I explained it in detail several times moments before.
Old October 3, 2020, 10:02 PM   #30
FrankenMauser

Aguila Blanca, thank you for that.
It offers a better perspective.

It's definitely in the category of stomach punch. But it sounds to me like it was caused by bad communication on both sides.
Old October 4, 2020, 04:15 AM   #31
Geezerbiker

I'm going to put a bunch of my lesser needed stuff on Gunbroker with the hopes of raising the funds to cover the rest of the work.

This smith has a good reputation for quality work and while I think the final price is about $150 over what it should be, I don't really have much leverage to negotiate a lower price.

Thanx for all the input but I don't think there's anything left to debate...

Tony
Old October 4, 2020, 07:57 AM   #32
Nathan

I would ask.

You seem honorable, but he doesn’t know you aren’t the guy who will blab all over social media about the gunsmith <insert name> ripped him off, double charged him and it shoots like crap! (Due to shooter error)

I hate to say it. There are those posts and they cannot be defended, especially when calling out the customer is part of the truth. So, it seems like most gunsmiths will bend ove backwards to make the customer satisfied. That said, I don’t think you would be able to use them again.
Old October 4, 2020, 01:32 PM   #33
Geezerbiker

I've always tried to be a reasonable person but sometimes I fail... This is why I haven't said who did the work. In the past he's treated me right but this time the cost of the repair took my breath away. About a year from now when I know how well it shoots, I'll post the whole story of my ordeal with this rifle...

I'm going to be listing all the ammo and reloading stuff I can do without on Gunbroker to try to raise the funds to cover the unexpected part of cost of the repair.

Tony