The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 4, 2013, 11:26 PM   #26
ronl

I have an Armalite that outshot my Colt Match Target. That's why I sold the Colt. I have a varmint AR with a Del-ton upper and medium contour barrel that will outshoot the Armalite. I think a lot has to do with applying correct torque to the barrel nut, and free floating the barrel.
Old April 5, 2013, 02:08 AM   #27
Metal god

Quote:
So, as far as twist rate, is 1/8 a good compromise?
It's no compromise IMHO its the best twist rate . It will shoot 55s to 77s if you start getting heavier then 77gr there's a chance you start having problems with the cartridge no longer fitting in the mag .

Quote:
Del-Ton M4 midlength upper sitting on a NFA LW15 lower...ZERO upgrades. It consistently groups beautifully.
I'm seeing more and more guys saying this about there Del-Ton . I have 2 Del-Tons . One is a complete 316 and the other is a rifle kit I used to build with . They are two very different rifles . One a carbine the other mid . ones chrome lined the other not . ones free floated the other not . They both shoot great . This is why my next build will start with a Del-Ton 20" heavy barrel . I plan to build it A2 style and shoot competition with it . Hope to be done with it by the end of the year but it's low on the priority list right now.

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old April 5, 2013, 02:10 PM   #28
Edward429451

Quote:
Triggers make a big difference, a heavy trigger with a lot of slack hurts accurate shooting.
Bingo. Standard AR's are plenty accurate for our purposes. If buying one for competition then one would want an upgrade version, but not for general use. A decent trigger helps a lot, Like RRA two stage match triggers...not terribly light but incredible smooth. Perfect.

WD-40 for a gun? Never. Absolutely not.
Old April 5, 2013, 05:00 PM   #29
Skans

Quote:
WD-40 for a gun? Never. Absolutely not.
I use it on my Savage 30-06 after hunting with it - if it got wet, which it sometimes does. I wipe it down, then spray WD-40 in every nook and cranny, on the barrel, inside the barrel, down into the stock - I douse the heck out of it. I let it sit for a little bit, wipe it down again and apply oil.

I don't know, maybe AR-15's just aren't as robust as my Savage 110.
Old April 6, 2013, 05:10 PM   #30
rep1954

I've always heard if you use WD40 you should spray it on a rag and wait a few seconds and then apply it to the gun. I would think spraying it directly on a gun would cause a lot of waste. I own a Panther Lite 16 that I bought for $650.00 and mounted a Trijicon RXO1 on the handle that can do 1 1/4" at 100 yards. The whole package went $1000.00 and was well beyond what I expected.

Last edited by rep1954; April 6, 2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old April 7, 2013, 01:13 PM   #31
Edward429451

Not letting the WD-40 sit on the gun too long and oiling afterwards makes a lot of sense if one chooses to use it. I think a lot of people think WD is oil and it is not.