The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 28, 2018, 11:50 AM   #26
Pilot

My CZ-75D PCR had done both. It is a mid size compact, more service sized actually, but with the lightweight, aluminum alloy frame, so easier to carry.
Old June 28, 2018, 12:48 PM   #27
Sharkbite

Mine is a S&W M&P 2.0 compact (G19 sized). Surefire Xc-1 light on it 24/7. CCW’d in a Bravo concealmant appendix rig, nightstand has a quick access safe.

Same gun, all the time breeds proficiency.
Old June 28, 2018, 03:20 PM   #28
sparkyv

I carry a small 9mm, HD are several full sized firearms, strategically placed, all with higher capacity than my carry piece.
Old June 28, 2018, 06:24 PM   #29
kenny53

Night stand gun is a M&P 45, carry gun M&P 9c and/or M&P 9, plus LCR 22Mag.
Old June 30, 2018, 08:37 AM   #30
Excoastie

No nightstand gun. I don't find the need, as my primary home defense is K-9. If the dog goes nuts, I will have more than enough time to grab a weapon out of the safe and then go investigate. My EDC is a Shield 9mm, occasionally I'll carry the XDs .45

As they say, there isn't anything like the sound of a pissed off German Shephard!

Exco
Old June 30, 2018, 09:17 AM   #31
Wag

CC is 92FS. When I unstrap at night, it goes on the nightstand and then back on the belt in the morning.

Upon further thought, though, I should probably start keeping a shotgun or AR next to the bed.....

--Wag--
Old July 1, 2018, 04:02 AM   #32
shurshot

My pillow gun is whatever I was wearing that evening... warm weather... S&W or Ruger, snub or K frame .38, or larger frame .357. Cold weather might be one of my S&W .44's.
Old July 1, 2018, 07:44 AM   #33
Tactical Jackalope

I don't like having more than one pistol out of my safe at a time unless the secondary is a backup gun.

So whether it's my P229, P226, or P220 that I'm carrying (all with rails, lights are super important for home defense) they all make it to my nightstand at the end of the day.

That said, I also have my AR hooked on a wall by the butt for a quick grab and go. Depends on what I hear, to be honest. But the pistol usually goes with me as its much easier to maneuver with most "unclear" cases of -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- was that?

Now if I hear the door get kicked in or kicked hard to glass breaking, that seems like a violent home invasion and I grab the AR.
Old July 1, 2018, 07:16 PM   #34
1MoreFord

My nightstand gun is currently a .38 revolver. I just picked up a 9mm Sig P250 Compact that will become my nightstand gun as soon as I can shoot it enough to call it dependable. I have 17rnd mags for it now and plan on picking up a couple of 21 rounders as soon as the discretionary funds replenish. I also plan on installing night sights and getting a light for it.
Old July 2, 2018, 08:44 AM   #35
stephen426

Excoastie makes a good point. How many of you are sound sleepers? If you don't have an early warning system, it won't matter if you have a machine gun next to the bed. We had a large dog before, but she passed already. We really don't have time for a dog right now so it wouldn't be fair. We just rely on our alarm system as advanced warning.
Old July 7, 2018, 08:22 PM   #36
9mm

S&W Govnornor loaded with PDX? 3 buck and a slug special rounds, they seemed the most promising in ballistic tests for the Governor. It's my bed gun, once I don't use it for anything else.. I figure if someone came through my window I wouldn't miss at 3 feet in the middle of the night. My other guns are only a few feet away..
Old July 9, 2018, 05:56 PM   #37
Doc Holliday 1950

Whatever my carry during the day is on my nightstand that night. I like the "KISS" method

Doc
Old July 9, 2018, 07:18 PM   #38
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
As they say, there isn't anything like the sound of a pissed off German Shephard!
Yes! My American Pitbull looks more intimidating but my African Basenji / Pitbull mix has a much greater bark. I swear she stole that bark from another dog.
Old July 10, 2018, 01:31 AM   #39
M88

I live in Pennsylvania, which means unfortunately as soon as I cross any state line north (NY), south (MD) or worst case scenario east (NJ) I become a felon if I'm carrying. Thus, I don't carry EVERY day, nor do I keep one in my car whenever I'm in it as I'd like to. So my EDC is really an SDC :-). When I do, it's my Sig P938 with Gold Dots. Concealable but still enough bang so I don't just piss somebody off if I ever had to use it. Next to the bed in case I hear a bump in the night is a G17 with a full mag of defense. No more kids, but I still keep it in a small electronic safe I can open in less than 2 seconds. Reason I don't use same gun for both... I haven't found it easy to conceal anything much more than a small 9mm without being uncomfortable driving.
Old July 16, 2018, 08:29 PM   #40
mgulino

My HD handgun is a GP100 in .357. The 6" barrel makes it difficult to conceal carry. My carry weapon is a Springfield XD9 in 9mm because of the capacity. I do carry the GP100 in the woods.
Old August 1, 2018, 11:33 PM   #41
franco45

My edc is either a Beretta Pico or a Kahr CM9. My nightstand gun is a Sig P250 compact with a light on the rail.
Old August 2, 2018, 08:29 AM   #42
Charlie98

My carry gun is on my nightstand, but I would grab the 12ga Mossberg setting next to the nightstand first. For that matter... my carry piece (Kahr CW9) is on the nightstand, my backup carry piece (CM9) is in the nightstand, and I have another carry piece (another CW9) in my desk drawer... and so on and so forth.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old August 2, 2018, 09:47 AM   #43
Glenn E. Meyer

How do you shoot each in some mildly stressful tests such as an IDPA or USPSA match? Have you taken a class with each to check out your performance?

Which do you practice with?

That's more relevant than just naming hardware.

For the record - carry for me is a 9mm Glock, alternating with a J frame and I shoot both regularly in matches. Classes with both

Thus I pick up at night something that I have practiced shooting, reloading and clearing under some pressure.
Old August 2, 2018, 10:38 AM   #44
LineStretcher

My night stand gun is a Kimber 1911. It's what goes with me when the door bell rings in the middle of the night. My carry gun is a Sig 238. Some folks seem to think the carry gun needs to be a large caliber but if you ask me which one I'd rather be shot with, my answer will always be neither. Yes, it may take more shots to take a person down but if I'm in a situation where I need to use it, I'm not stopping firing until both my mags are empty.

The other advantage of using two handguns of the same style is that I know how both operate and don't have to learn two guns.
Old August 2, 2018, 02:23 PM   #45
Timeless

No kids to worry about here.

My SIG P226 is on my side of the bed and my wife has her S&W 640 Pro.

My SIG P938 travels with me outside of the home.
NRA Lifer
Old August 2, 2018, 02:46 PM   #46
COSteve

My CCW pistol is a Glock 23, 40s&w stuffed with 180grn Speer Gold Dots in an inside the belt holster it's a great piece with 13+1rds of power. My nightstand gun is a Glock G21, 45acp stuffed with 14+1rds (extend mag) 200grn Speer Gold Dots. Same manual of arms and both are practiced with often. My wife has her M1 Carbine with 30+1rds of 110grn Speer JSP.
Old August 3, 2018, 12:07 PM   #47
Glenn E. Meyer

Quote:
Yes, it may take more shots to take a person down but if I'm in a situation where I need to use it, I'm not stopping firing until both my mags are empty.
With no offense, you need to rethink this statement. If you fire more shots than legal authorities think are necessary to stop the other party and cause death, you may be charged with manslaughter or even murder.

A reload might be seen as premeditation.
Old August 15, 2018, 05:41 PM   #48
rman43

I have several guns in my carry rotation. My nightstand gun is a Ruger P345 .45 Auto with a Streamlight attached. It is double-action on the first shot, so accidental discharge due to stress is not likely. It's accurate, 100% reliable and is loaded with 185 gr JHP ammo. The light illuminates the bedroom, hall, dining room and kitchen. I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of it.
Old August 15, 2018, 06:06 PM   #49
peterg7

My carry gun IS the “nightstand” gun, I don’t believe in leaving a gun laying around when I leave and I’m too lazy to run down to the gun safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 15, 2018, 06:07 PM   #50
Number10GI

My nightstand gun is a Springfield 1911, my carry guns are a S&W Shield, Kimber Micro 9 and a Diamondback DB9, which one depends on what I'm wearing. I don't try to carry the 1911 as I have a hard time concealing it.