The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 7, 2014, 08:24 AM   #1
Elerius

Search for custom made wood grips for Kahr

I have been searching and searching for any grip maker who could make me a couple sets of checkered wood grips for my Kahr K9. One set in dark reddish walnut and one set in ebony.

No one has been able to do this so far, and I cant understand why. All these grips are hand made, and Kahrs aren't exactly rare. I've even offered to send the Hogue woods (the only ones that exist as far as I can see) or even the gun itself to a legitimate business. No takers and no explanation why it can't be done, when they bother to respond at all.

Any ideas or thoughts? Anyone have experience getting someone to make a set of grips for a model they don't normally offer?
Old February 7, 2014, 10:56 AM   #2
ClydeFrog

Craig Spegel; Cylinder-Slide.com .....

Custom grip maker Craig Spegel of OR might be of help. At the very least, he might know of a custom grip maker who does wood grips for Kahr brand pistols.
Spegel is known for J frame Boot Grips & a few grips for Hi-Power semi auto pistols.
Cylinder & Slide of NE is a highly rated pistolsmith. They make custom Kahr pistols with wood grips. They might send you the grip maker or vendor information.

Clyde
www.CraigSpegel.com www.cylinder-slide.com
Old February 7, 2014, 12:27 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I would take to The Finer Grain. He's a member here too.
Old February 7, 2014, 01:52 PM   #4
Elerius

I will give The Finer Grain a try, thanks. Haven't run across his site in my searches. C&S I had no idea made grips so maybe that shows promise also.

Tried Spegal about a different set for S&W revolvers not that long ago and never heard back. Tried Hogue a while back, which also never responded. I just finished an email to them imploring once again and I might try calling. Perhaps some on the forum would like sets if they end up being willing to make a small run in a different wood. I know Bar-Sto has been amenable to such things so maybe they will too
Old February 13, 2014, 11:51 AM   #5
NCummins

Have you tried local wood workers? I mean they aren't that hard to make, maybe a carving guy? They would have the checkering carving tools.
Old February 18, 2014, 02:31 AM   #6
Elerius

Local woodworkers appear to be the only option remaining. All grip makers 40 pages deep into Google either ignored me, are unwilling or unable. It's kind of ridiculous. Please PM if you find anyone willing or are capable of making them. Until then I'll look for a local person who could do it
Old December 21, 2014, 09:10 PM   #7
Firewire

Seems to be enough interest, are they just too difficult to make? I too am trying to find something other than the factory option.
Old December 21, 2014, 10:03 PM   #8
Madcap_Magician

I have kind of wondered about this, because the only wood grips for Kahrs are the factory pau ferro grips. It just seems weird that literally no one else makes aftermarket grips for Kahrs.
Old December 23, 2014, 08:32 PM   #9
Firewire

Seems like there's a market because searches show the same results, people looking but not finding any.