The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 22, 2012, 07:03 PM   #1
1911steelplate

model 94, 356 win

I've always hunted with a ruger 308 win, sako 7mm, 308 norma mag and I have a 1886 in 45-70 and thought about hunting with it. I found this 356 in the win model 94 and have been very surprised on how well it shoots. I have no illusions of 1000yrd shots in 40 mph wind! (which seems pretty normal to most hunters I talk to) but i am gonna try antelope and deer with it. Anybody else out there shooting a 356?
Old August 22, 2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Scorch

356 is a good round but never captured the imagination of the American shooters (much like its forerunner, the 358 Winchester). At 1,000 yds in a 40 mph wind, you should be able to hit an antelope at a dead run (just kidding, it is pretty much a 200-300 yds gun due to the flat nosed bullets it uses).

The 358 Winchester was designed to replicate the 35 Winchester and the 9X57 loadings that were popular in Winchester rifles in the early 1900s. The 356 Winchester was introduced in the 1980s (along with the 7-30 Waters, the 307 Winchester, and the 375 Winchester) in an attemt to slow down the shooter public rapidly moving away from lever action rifles. Didn't work. Good cartridge, just too little too late.
Old August 22, 2012, 07:50 PM   #3
taylorce1

Yep and you can use those pointy rubber tipped FTX bullets from Hornady now if you reload. It is a .356 Win after all, so not a whole lot of factory ammo floating around!
Old August 23, 2012, 08:45 AM   #4
Jack O'Conner

A hunter who practises at longer distances can certainly do well with his 356 rifle. It certainly has the velocity and power for long shots out on the prairies. I almost bought one last month but decided against it due to ammo concerns.

Jack
Old August 23, 2012, 03:37 PM   #5
Malamute

I have a 356 project gun. Looking forward to getting it done. It will have nice wood, checkered, rifle type fore end, rifle magazine ring, and front sight like the early extra-light rifles.

Regarding ammo, once you have some brass, there shouldn't be much problem keeping one going, unless you only shoot factory.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old August 23, 2012, 07:58 PM   #6
musicmatty

Are they no longer making 356 ammo My brother has a Win lever chambered in 356..very nice lever and very accurate with it's open sites.
Old August 23, 2012, 09:44 PM   #7
Malamute

I think they still make it, at least seasonally, but it's expensive and not in stock in many of the gun shops I've been in.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old August 24, 2012, 08:51 AM   #8
Guv

Nice gun and caliber. USRA's Winchesters were well made, nice looking firearms, in my opinion.
Old August 25, 2012, 12:49 PM   #9
Tom Matiska

I've had it's 307 cousin for 25 years.

Win's Big Bore offering has a thicker receiver and heavier barrel than the standard '94. The extra pound is in the right place for off hand shooting accuracy.... It isn't quite the carry hands on all day sweetheart the standard
'94 is, but not too heavy either.

Make sure any rear peep or scope bases are specific to the 356/307 Big Bore... standard '94 and earlier 375 Big Bore offerings differ.

Never miss a chance to buy ammo or brass when you can. It isn't getting easier to find.

Win gave up on it too early, too bad they didn't see the FTX in their crystal ball.
Old August 25, 2012, 12:50 PM   #10
Tom Matiska

Use Hornady's FTX published data specific to their bullet. Case length and powder charge differ from generic 200 gr bullets. My experience with FTX's in my 307 was the shape of the follower Win used in the tube isn't FTX friendly. The last round from the tube may not feed up the ramp reliably. ...But published loads look like a 250+ yard no brainer and I wouldn't let issues with the 6th shot stop me from using it for hunting.

If using standard 35 Rem flat noses be happy with the extra 200-300 fps and don't get too greedy trying to push lighter bullets too fast. My experience maxing out 30-30 bullets in the 307 was the ratio of purple jelly to edible meat at close range was unacceptable.