The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 10, 2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Tucker 1371

VA PTSD disability

I just received a letter in the mail from the VA, my disability claim was approved. I had tried to remove PTSD from it and they said they would but it went through anyway. Is this going to affect my ability to buy or own guns or get a Tennessee CC permit? I already have a GA one.

I don't have flashbacks or anything that severe, gun shots and back fires bothered me for a while but they do not any longer. The only lasting effects mentally are just a permanently heightened state of awareness which the VA psych eval guy referred to as anxiety.

I have some reservations about receiving disability at all but several good NCOs that I look up to assured me there was nothing wrong with it, you can PM me your thoughts on that since its not firearms related.

Thanks y'all.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe
Old July 10, 2013, 07:30 PM   #2
dmazur

I'm not poking fun at PTSD at all. It took me some time to stop jumping at bells and horns, and I wasn't in combat. (Shipboard alarms were enough to condition me...)

Quote:
...permanently heightened state of awareness...
Some would simply refer to this as "Condition Yellow", based on Cooper's states of awareness -

...Yellow: Relaxed alert. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that "today could be the day I may have to defend myself". You are simply aware that the world is a potentially unfriendly place and that you are prepared to defend yourself, if necessary. You use your eyes and ears, and realize that "I may have to shoot today". You don't have to be armed in this state, but if you are armed you should be in Condition Yellow...

All four colors (representing increasing states of awareness) are described here -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper

IMO, an inability to easily fall into Condition White is not necessarily a bad thing...
Old July 11, 2013, 12:24 AM   #3
ClydeFrog

VA veterans service rep, gun laws....

For general questions about your states gun laws or your VA condition, I'd address that with your local VA clinic or VAMC service rep. They are formally trained to deal with veterans problems or legal issues.
If you are on medication or any treatments that can affect your well being or reactions then I would not carry any firearms or ammunition.

As posted in the past on TFL, I'm against military veterans claiming benefits or PTSD/psych issues then wanting to carry concealed weapons or to hunt.
The murder of US Navy SEAL & author Chris Kyle by a disabled US marine with mental health issues is a sad example of why I feel this way.

Don't get me wrong, some veterans may feel they can be safe or prudent with guns even if they are on a treatment plan or formal disability but that's my personal view.
Old July 11, 2013, 06:56 AM   #4
Tucker 1371

I am not on nor do I feel the need for any medications. I am not receiving any psychological treatment. I have no anger issues, outbursts, depression, or suicidal thoughts. I asked the VA rep when I submitted my claim and he said it shouldn't be an issue but I figured they didn't want him saying anything that might make someone reconsider submitting a claim, they seemed very eager to get me processed.
Old July 11, 2013, 12:47 PM   #5
thallub

Quote:
I had tried to remove PTSD from it and they said they would but it went through anyway. Is this going to affect my ability to buy or own guns or get a Tennessee CC permit?
Not sure about TN but i think that state is much like OK. In the state of OK its not an issue. No one knows what your VA disability is unless you tell them. i know numerous veterans with PTSD who pack legally: None have ever caused any trouble.
Old July 11, 2013, 01:04 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

The law, ethics, PTSD...

I understand how or why disabled veterans would want to carry a concealed weapon(Im a US military veteran too).
My point is that if you feel you have mood swings, anger mgmt issues, depression etc related to your VA status, you shouldn't pack a gun.
I know many OEF & OIF veterans have mental health or psyicatric issues that are service connected. I've seen news reports of veterans who describe bouts of anger or aggressive thoughts then used therapy(like service animals) or medication to help them.
You can make that choice but be fully aware, you are responsible for your statements & actions when you carry a firearm.

ClydeFrog
Old July 11, 2013, 01:38 PM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

If you are not under mandatory supervision or treatment, you're OK under federal law. A diagnosis of PTSD alone is not a disability from owning firearms.

Tennessee might have their own laws as regards carry permits. I'll let a resident chime in on that.
Old July 11, 2013, 03:07 PM   #8
glh17

I'm not sure about where the disability would fall, but this is the question on the TN application that would be pertinent. There is also another question dealing with a Social Security disability based on a mental condition, but that would not apply unless you have such a disability.

QUESTION 13(A) – Have you ever been adjudicated as a mental defective or have you been committed to or hospitalized in a mental institution?
Under 2009 Public Chapter 578, effective January 1, 2010, the applicant should answer ‘yes’ if he or she has been judicially committed to or hospitalized in a mental institution pursuant to title 33 (otherwise known as ‘involuntary commitment’).
An applicant who was voluntarily committed is legally able to answer ‘no’ to Questions 13(A).
A person who was judicially/involuntarily committed and who answers ‘no’ to Question 13(A) is making a false statement under penalty of perjury.
T.C.A.§39-17-1351(c) (12) That the applicant has not been adjudicated as a mental defective, has not been judicially committed to or hospitalized in a mental institution pursuant to title 33, has not had a court appoint a conservator for the applicant by reason of a mental defect, has not been judicially determined to be disabled by reason of mental illness, developmental disability or other mental incapacity, and has not, within seven (7) years from the date of application, been found by a court to pose an immediate substantial likelihood of serious harm, as defined in title 33, chapter 6, part 5, because of mental illness;
Old July 11, 2013, 05:00 PM   #9
Tucker 1371

Alright good to go, lots of good info here y'all. Glh17 that little bit of TN legalese was particularly helpful and reassuring. I am generally a pretty happy guy, have a crappy day every now and then like anyone else, but I don't feel it would be irresponsible of me to carry.
Old July 12, 2013, 01:32 PM   #10
ClydeFrog

Error-net, VA legal affairs, county veterans affairs office...

Just to be sure, Id go(not call or email) your local veterans service office or maybe a legal affairs rep(if open to veterans).
Most states & countys have separate veteran affairs or veteran services offices.
Id run your concerns by a lawyer or counselor to make sure there are no conflicts with your CC license or permit.

Clyde