The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 10, 2012, 05:17 PM   #1
Hardcase

1894 Sight Question

Now that it's gotten cold and snowed some, it's time for me to do indoor gun stuff. One of the guns that I want to do just a little work on is an old Winchester 1894 in .32WS. Other than being old (around 1903) and very well used, it needs a fore end cap screw and some sight work. Here's the deal:

I'm pretty sure that the front sight did not come from the factory. It's a Lyman folding globe sight. Originally, it would have had a pearl bead for the post, but that's long gone. Also, the "globe" has cracked in the middle. It would have been appropriate for a peep sight, but there are no receiver screw holes nor does it appear that the tang screws have been turned.

In the rear, it's got a buckhorn sight that I think is original, but with no elevator.

So, my questions are: what sight is correct for the front and what elevator is correct for the rear? Or if the rear is not correct (I seem to remember seeing a funky looking .32WS rear sight), what's the right one?

The screw I've got covered
Old December 11, 2012, 11:09 AM   #2
PetahW

You have "a" correct front sight, as the Lyman No.5-B Combination (folding globe, as you put it) was one of fourteen (14) factory-installed Winchester/Lyman/Marble's front sight options.

The "standard" Model 1894 front sight was the Winchester No.93 plain black post.

There were at least four (4) different rear barrel Winchester/Marble's open/iron sights that were fctory optional - the Winchester(s) 34B/C, 22E, 22C & 26A/B, and the marbl'e flexible, in addition to the Lyman No.6 folder (IIRC).

Last edited by PetahW; December 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old December 11, 2012, 09:01 PM   #3
Hardcase

Thanks PetahW. Now I've got some choices to make.