The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 14, 2012, 04:36 PM   #1
browninghunter86

Lee Perfect Powder Measure

Ok very irritated wasted a lot of powder this afternoon loading 223 brass using H335 powder. That stuff flows like magic water but problem is powder was not all going into the case!!!!

Anyone know if drop tube from other company will fit in the Lee powder measure?
Old September 14, 2012, 05:47 PM   #2
noylj

A coherent explanation of problem would be nice.
Are you using measure as bench mounted? If you are trying to use it as case-activated, about all I can say is to read ALL the Lee instructions and follow them.
The measure does leak when new with small kernel powder.
You need to work a bunch of graphitized or even powdered graphite through it.
You need to disassemble and remove all powder kernels and set the tension higher before you add powder. Do not adjust tension with powder in the press.
As a bench mounted measure, you put a piece of paper under the measure to catch any leakage.
After a while, the two conical sections burnish to each other and leakage will disappear.
After the measure has been 'worn' in, then it should be good to go with the case activated tooling.
Again, though, if your leakage is the powder NOT flowing down the drop tube, we would need some more information to help understand.
Old September 14, 2012, 07:43 PM   #3
browninghunter86

Yes it is bench mounted. Measure has about 4 lbs through it over the first year. When I throw a charge powder comes out all over my hand that is holding the case from the opening where powder drops from. So not sure if the hole is too big or what? Lee says it is universal

Apparently it doesn't like fine ball powders
Old September 14, 2012, 08:05 PM   #4
YARDDOG(1)

"[Yes it is bench mounted. Measure has about 4 lbs through it over the first year. When I throw a charge powder comes out all over my hand that is holding the case from the opening where powder drops from. So not sure if the hole is too big or what? Lee says it is universal]"

A Funnel would do wonders
Y/D
Old September 14, 2012, 09:34 PM   #5
bravo2zero

use the mtm set.cheap and good ,iuse the same powder and lee tool.335 its a fine ball powder so you gotta use a funnel that barely fits the case neck if its loose you will spill powder
Old September 14, 2012, 11:09 PM   #6
Marco Califo

Funnel

Once I realized the bottom of the drop tube was either not designed or intended to be in contact with the 223 case mouth, I have used a red/pink clear funnel that handles that interface. I like the PPM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 974498.jpg (34.1 KB, 32 views)
Old September 15, 2012, 12:45 PM   #7
mikld

I understood right away! Fine ball powders can leak outta the side of the drum of a Lee Perfect Powder Measure. I have used my Lee with .223 and the drop tube fits fine, no leaks there.I have put some graphite in/on the drum, tightened up the drum fit (screw on right/handle side) and worked the handle for a few minutes. Helped some. You can lap the drum with a bit of lapping compound. Or ignore it. I use WC820 for my .44s and the leaks are an irration, but the drops are consistant. When I have to use my Lee, I just catch the spill on a sheet of paper under the measure and return it to the jug...
Old September 15, 2012, 03:57 PM   #8
browninghunter86

I will play with it. It is not coming out of the side. It seems like the case is not fitting properly onto the opening at the bottom where the powder flows out.

I did at one point have powder leaking out the left side of the measure but like mentioned tightening the screw up some and cleaning the assembly eliminated that issue

Guess I will have to lay paper down to catch it just a PITA to have to deal with
Old September 15, 2012, 04:32 PM   #9
Marco Califo

try a funnel

try a funnel
I use mine clamped to the bench. I do believe the product was intended to be used with a funnel, OR, maybe mounted in a powder drop die. I know my Lee pistol dies have one die for case mouth belling and powder drop, but those incorporate the funnel function. Not for rifles.