The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 2, 2015, 05:17 PM   #1
blacksky

Anyone heard of Hakko Rifle Scopes?

I see that Primary Arms has a Hakko Optics 4-16x50 Mil-Dot FFP Riflescope listed on sale. The add reads as follows:

(Special Purchase) List Price: $1,299.99 Our Price: $699.99

Sale Price: $399.99 You save $900.00!

Anyone heard of Hakko Rifle Scopes? Any knowledge on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and have a safe and enjoyable Independence weekend! See link for more info.

http://www.primaryarms.com/Hakko_4_1...z-sf-41650.htm

Last edited by blacksky; July 2, 2015 at 06:53 PM.
Old July 2, 2015, 07:04 PM   #2
precision_shooter

Never heard of them, but it has a MIL reticle with MOA turrets... So you have to learn your wind hold overs in MIL and learn your dialing elevation in MOA.

I know why it's so cheap....
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old July 2, 2015, 07:22 PM   #3
skizzums

it has a couple good reviews at the bottom, it' made in Japan instead of China(whatever that means). YOU SAVE $900!!!!....hard to beat that.

not a lot of reviews out there, it seems that they mainly manufacture for other scope companies. here's an interesting thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...o-scopes-2645/http://forum.accurateshooter.com/ind...opic=3751462.0

distributor
http://doomsdaytacticalsolutions.com/
Old July 4, 2015, 01:45 AM   #4
Scorch

If those are indeed the same type scopes that Springfield Armory used to sell under their own name (as the link says), I would not spend that kind of money on them. I just sighted in a customer's rifles (2 Remington 700 PSS, .308, one stainless, one blued, both wearing Springfield Armory scopes), and I thought the scopes were awful. They would not focus sharply. They are zeroed and both shot well, but would not focus!!! And saying you are saving $900 is just bogus salesman hot air. If they could sell them for more money, they would.
Old July 4, 2015, 06:45 AM   #5
Jimro

Hakko and Light Optics Works were Japanese scope manufacturing companies that are generally rebranded for the US market.

Hakko went out of business in 2005, and "Japan Optics Limited" picked up the skilled workers and I assume the Hakko brand name. That is only an assumption on my part as "Hakko" had a booth at the SHOT show well past 2005.

So yes, I've heard of Hakko. But I cannot vouch for the quality of the product.

Suffice to say that there are a lot of Asian scope firms, and generally things made in Japan are usually quality.

Jimro
Old July 5, 2015, 03:08 AM   #6
ejhc11

My Beeman SS-3 scope from the late 80's was made by Hakko. It was $200 in 1987 and they have glass same as Canon lenses. Also, had fluorite coatings only used on high end camera lenses.

Back then they were very premium and yes my scope still works today with no issues. Most of the Beeman scopes from the 80s were made by Hakko and at the Airgun forums they still fetch $200-300 easily.
Old July 5, 2015, 09:57 AM   #7
blacksky

Made in 2011

After digging around the net I found that Japan Optical Limited made scopes for off brand and house brand retailers to whatever specs desired. JOL website is still up and running but hasn't been updated since 2011. I contacted them by email but have not received a response. I read a quote on another forum that these were made for an online retailer that had no luck in selling them under the Hakko name and the remaining stock was purchased by Primary Arms. I found a recent review on a air gun forum stating that the scope looked and functioned fine except it would not focus sharply. Another reviewer said he paid $279.00. These scopes seem to have a large following in Europe and Russia as there are many video reviews on Youtube in Russian language. I'll continue my quest to find an FFP variable scope that isn't made in China at a reasonable price for a man on a budget.

http://www.japanoptics.co.jp/html/products_tactical.htm
Old July 5, 2015, 03:43 PM   #8
blacksky

I took the plunge and ordered a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50

Well I jumped of the ledge and ordered a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 Riflescope PST-416S1-A for $628.46 with free expedited shipping from Optics Planet! I hope all of the reviews are dead on!
Old July 5, 2015, 06:12 PM   #9
precision_shooter

You should be pleased with the PST. I really like mine, but mine is the 6-24x50. It's quite clear and the turrets are excellent in form and function. It tracks very well also. Mine is the mil/mil version with EBR1 reticle.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776