The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 8, 2012, 11:21 AM   #1
HAZMATT

New to Shotguns, Before I Buy My First

I will likely be buying my first shotgun in the coming weeks. I will likely buy a 12g pump with a 20" barrel and full length tube magazine. I have not decided on what brand of shotty I will buy yet. But, it would be used for home defense and target plinking fun, if you can consider shooting a 12g plinking

I have done enough research to know that rifled slugs can be shot through a improved cylinder bore. However, here are a few questions...

1. In IC shotguns, that do not use different chokes, does the bore gradually decrease in size, or does it only decrease toward the end of the barrel?

2. Does it make a difference whether the change in bore is gradual or only toward the end of the barrel?

3. If I decide to buy a shotgun that has a full bore, and uses replaceable chokes, can I still shoot slugs through a IC choke?

Maybe I am just over thinking this, but I am a newbie and I would rather be informed than remain in the dark.
Old June 8, 2012, 12:01 PM   #2
zippy13

1. Fixed, or interchangeable, the choke is within a few inches of the muzzle. Some have a longer tapered section than others.
2. N/A, the tapered section is not full length. There are two tapered sections in a shotgun barrel: the forcing cone that is part of the chamber (shell end) and the choke (muzzle end).
3. Yes.
Old June 8, 2012, 12:36 PM   #3
HAZMATT

Thank you zippy13.
Old June 8, 2012, 03:56 PM   #4
jmortimer

For what you describe, you don't need variable chokes just a fixed cylinder bore or improved cylinder.
Old June 9, 2012, 12:37 AM   #5
HAZMATT

jmortimer, this is true. I have been flip flopping over what to buy. But I may end up with 2 shotguns...one for home defense, and one for shooting clays.
Old June 9, 2012, 01:11 AM   #6
zippy13

Why not just get a combo with two barrels?
Old June 9, 2012, 10:41 AM   #7
HAZMATT

I like the look of 20" pumps with full length tubes. But, from what I have researched, I would have to change the tube to a shorter one before I could attach a longer barrel. Buying 1 shotgun, with 2 tubes and 2 barrels would be about the same price as buying 2 shotguns. This is why I am flip flopping so much.

the following has been going on in my mind.....
Get the 18.5" 5+1 so you can just swap the barrels to go shoot clays with your friends, it would be cheaper. Yeah, but I really like the looks of a 20" with a full length tube, so I will just buy two separate shottys. No, get the 18.5....... and the cycle continues.

One day, I will make the decision.
Old June 9, 2012, 02:23 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The biggest benefit of interchangeable choke tubes is VERSATILITY!!!

If your game plan changes or requires changing than the tubes are priceless!

Second biggie, IMHO, is resell-ability is MARKET DEMAND... Used guns with choke tubes are more sought after than equal gun with fixed choke barrel for the most part...

Brent
Old June 9, 2012, 07:48 PM   #9
TheKlawMan

Get the 870. I first bought a security model with an 18.5 open cylinder barrel and a two shot factory magaxine extension. Then I got a used 28" vent rib barrel that took chokes for $85.

For nearly a year I would use the long barrel at the skeet range, but revert to the short barrel security config when I got home. Then I got a gun for clays, but I still have the 87o for security and for guests to use to shoot clays.
Old June 10, 2012, 06:59 PM   #10
Bushmaster1313

IMHO long magazines are a bit of a novelty. If you do not stop the attack with four rounds I doubt that two more will help

Getting standard magazine gives you versatility in other barrels, and you can always add a magazine extension if you want.
Some short magazines gave dimples that limit you to four rounds.
Old June 10, 2012, 07:05 PM   #11
HAZMATT

I will probably end up with 2 shotguns, a 20" with full length mag tube for home defense and fun, and another for clays.

A 20" barrel with full length mag tube just looks better to me. It is an aesthetic thing to me. But, having those couple extra shots wouldn't hurt.
Old June 11, 2012, 02:02 AM   #12
TheKlawMan

I don't know about all the makes, but you can buy a Remington 870 that will accept both a 20" and a 28" barrel, and if you like the looks of a magazine as long as the 20" add a 3 shot magazine extension.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/remi...-p-126101.html

Check the barrels available from Remingon as for the 20". I assume you want a smooth bore that takes chomes and as far as I know the factory only offers one with rifle sigth. Others may offer something else for a Remington. I dunno but Mossberg even makes some barrels to use with an 870.